317     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 870     0 

Streetscapes from Elsewhere - Design Inspirations for Toronto

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new design thread where we look at examples of great streetscapes, extant or proposed from around the world that might be feasible on a street in Toronto.

While threads have their own lives, I'm aiming to solicit practical yet ambitious designs.

So I would prefer people not post Las Rambla from Barcelona, as we really have no comparable space, nor are we likely to.

I want examples we can genuinely advocate to BIAs, to the City, etc with some reasonable hope of achieving them.

On that note...........

I came across a proposal to improve the Munroe Street (Greektown) streetscape in Detroit.

The State of Michigan just appropriated 20M USD for the purpose.

To that end, first, a look at the way it is now: (per streetview)

1688174253103.png

Not exactly horrific is it? Not enough trees and the pavement is rough...........but very chamring buildings and the hydro is buried.............

But 20M will buy them this version:

1688174339217.png

A single lane of traffic, a 100% interlocking brick road and sidewalk system, rolled curbs,l and 2 rows of trees. Pretty damned nice, I think.

How about a 2-lane version for Toronto's Greektown? One lane each way, but the street parking gone in favour of wide sidewalks with patios. Just a thought.

Image above sourced from this link: https://detroit.urbanize.city/post/major-detroit-developments-nab-funding-new-state-budget

Back