News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 923     1 

Streetcar Tracks on Adelaide

1713548984859.png

I'm not sure what's going on here, they're adding a 2nd lane to the existing streetcar track for the detour is the existing track all being replaced, and they're tearing out the old one where the twinning is extended?

Took me a while I found the final layout but I'm still wondering are they keeping the existing track and adding or ripping it all out

1713549489013.png

Last edited:
View attachment 557724

I'm not sure what's going on here, they're adding a 2nd lane to the existing streetcar track for the detour is the existing track all being replaced, and they're tearing out the old one where the twinning is extended?

Took me a while I found the final layout but I'm still wondering are they keeping the existing track and adding or ripping it all out

View attachment 557739
The existing northbound track from King to Queen remains, they are installing new southbound track from Queen to Adelaide. It's not rocket science.

Here is the future 501 route map. The existing track from Front north to Wellington/King to Adelaide will be available for detours (and the Wellington/King section for the 503 on assumption it returns to its old route on Wellington once the 501 moves.)

1713551762595.png

Last edited:
Correct, they are adding another lane of streetcar track here. However, the old track isn't being torn out, the existing northbound track pictured is all staying.

On York specifically, they are only adding a new southbound track from Queen to Adelaide. As well, there is one remaining curve to be added from eastbound Queen to southbound York. No curves that cross the northbound track are being added and that track is probably only 10 years old with light wear considering since its installation it hasn't been part of a revenue route, so no reason to believe it can't serve the 501 diversion for the duration of OL work.

Correct, they are adding another lane of streetcar track here. However, the old track isn't being torn out, the existing northbound track pictured is all staying.

On York specifically, they are only adding a new southbound track from Queen to Adelaide. As well, there is one remaining curve to be added from eastbound Queen to southbound York. No curves that cross the northbound track are being added and that track is probably only 10 years old with light wear considering since its installation it hasn't been part of a revenue route, so no reason to believe it can't serve the 501 diversion for the duration of OL work.
When I saw the photo I was thinking it must be a new challenge to add tracks next to an existing one, hope I can check it out and add some close up shots

Originally, Adelaide was a two way street, so I assume one set of tracks will be removed.
My apologies, I believe I may have created some confusion here. The one photo showing two sets of tracks was of the section of York Street where the new southbound tracks, still incomplete, are being added. Adelaide has only one set, eastbound, of tracks, now continuous (except for the overheads), from Spadina to Church streets. The photo of the York Street section should have been identified as such.

As a project, both the York and Adelaide streetcar track additions are grouped under this 'Street Car Tracks on Adelaide' thread.

Originally, Adelaide was a two way street, so I assume one set of tracks will be removed.
They have been since last year. Only the section west of Victoria is been rebuilt for eastbound as the east section was done years ago.

April 25
People will be happy to hear the northbound track as well the road where the southbound track is to place has been excavated up to Richmond. This includes the northbound track north of the new section built last year. Don't expect any track base to be pour this week

More to follow when I have time
133A0934.JPG

Back