News   Apr 24, 2024
 214     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 316     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 643     0 

Stockyards, The (30 Weston Rd. @ St. Clair, retail, Trinity, 2s, GreenbergFarrow)

Wow, a no-name store in that massive, high-profile space? I think we're a decade away from having another Honeydale on our hands.

BisNow is reporting that RioCan has "signed Nations Fresh Foods to occupy the entire 153k SF former Target space". Nations Fresh Foods is a two-store grocery chain operating stores in Vaughan and Hamilton.

Interesting. The one in Jackson Square in Hamilton looked pretty good. Sort of Whole Foods-ish, with a pretty impressive prepared food section that was packed with local workers having lunch; curious to see what that would be like in this part of town.

Wow, a no-name store in that massive, high-profile space? I think we're a decade away from having another Honeydale on our hands.
Not sure how this is anything like Honeydale. Honeydale had a Walmart and No Frills, and then Walmart moved out with no replacemnet, and the mall started dying. The No Frills was still pretty busy though.

This new grocery store looks pretty good...I'll definitely check it out. I'm pretty sick of the Loblaws/Metro/Sobeys monopoly.

Being from Hamilton, I can say that Nations is awesome. It has really boosted downtown Hamilton.
But to be fair; a Loblaws, Metro, or Sobeys in Jackson Square would've done that exact same for that area as well. That area desperately needed a grocery store at the time.

A Stockyards article in blogTO, at this link.

20161210-nations-stockyards.jpg

20161210-sy-parking-level.jpg

The general feeling I get is that the stores are busy, but there is just too much parking.

They built all that parking to meet the city of Toronto's minimum parking requirements. In light of the burden of providing all that parking and the fact that much of it is empty most of the time, we should revise the city's minimum parking requirements.

They built all that parking to meet the city of Toronto's minimum parking requirements. In light of the burden of providing all that parking and the fact that much of it is empty most of the time, we should revise the city's minimum parking requirements.

The problem is the suburban Councillors are following the lead of American cities. However, even in the U.S., they have parking lots with too many empty spaces, even days before Christmas.

wpid-20151215_181255.jpg

However, the politicians refuse to adjust or eliminate parking minimums because "just in case".

While I think that the Stockyards should never have been built as is, it's not fair to judge the parking space while the biggest of the big box locations remains closed. If Target had been as successful in Canada as WalMarts are, that parking lot might have been packed. Who knows how well Nations will do, when and if it opens, but this crappy mall should be busier after that.

A complete disaster. Even in the summer there is no flow to the place. Every store is segregated from the other. Should have just built a regular style indoor mall.

In the winter you'll freeze to death trying to shop hop.

Parking is not the issue. It's the layout of the place. I don't see this place ever becoming a success. Once the leases of the tenants that are there run out, it'll be a ghost market.

wish they put stores on the bottom portion on both the east and west sides versus all being on the west... makes it even more difficult. just put the parking behind the stores... why is that so difficult. I was at heartland yesterday waiting for a oil change. And I wanted to walk to winners and best buy. So I have to walk across the Canadian tire lot, across the winners lot into the winners... then out the winners lot across the best buy lot into best buy. And finally back across the best buy lot across the Canadian tire lot to pick up my car. If the stores were at the front and the parking at the back I would have much less a problem with big box stores but god forbid the parking is hidden because then people will just give up and shop elsewhere... Kinda like yorkdales underground parking that people seem to miss and then claim there are no spots.

Back