News   Apr 24, 2024
 314     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 442     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 480     0 

Star/Hume: Beyond Bricks Series on Toronto's Best Unknown Architecture

"Toronto is by nature a reticent, even reluctant, city. We are also prone to self-hatred. Why else would we have elected Rob Ford mayor?"

Another nice burn from Chris.

Anybody have some buildings to suggest as little known masterpieces in Toronto?

A lot of them were already capsule-photo-previewed in the article. However, I'd nominate this one

hidden.jpg

I'd nominate St. Paul's Basilica in Corktown. It's an absolutely big, gorgeous church that would fit in big city Italy or Spain, and IMO the only reason it's not as well known or photographed is because it isn't right downtown..

attachment.php

attachment.php

004.jpg

I dunno, it seems to me reasonably "known" for what it is, being unique and all--and seems to have been the case at least since the area started being gentrified or urban-activism'd in the 70s...

It is kinda known to locals of East Toronto, but you never hear it being talked about or photographed as much as St. James, St. Mikes, Metropolitan United, St. Andrews, etc.

That was my first reaction, too. Most Torontonians I know have never been, and yet it is arguably the finest interior space in the city.

7427300508_87296685f1_c.jpg

I don't think Hume is going to go too far off the grid on this but will avoid the postcard shots (Roy Thompson Hall, OCAD, Casa Loma, Eaton Centre and BCE Place interiors, etc).

Possible contenders:
* Imperial Oil Building
* Leaside Apartment Towers
* MaRS (old TGH)
* Some Jarvis St. mansions and Cabbagetown homes
* 25 Victoria Street (and the courtyard it shares with Dundee place)
* Old buildings on Spadina (Tower Building, Robertson Building
* New buildings on Spadina (Hudson, Morgan)
* John Daniel's home (or similar in Yorkville)
* College Park (old)
* Daniel Brook Building or similar in St. Lawrence
* The Milburn building
* Merchandising building or other converted industrial complexes
* The Bay Queen Street
* notable places of worship

I remember among the "sneak peek" items illustrated being Parkin's OAA (DuToit Alsopp Hillier)

By the descriptions of the "red" ones on the map, at least 2 are the Gardiner Museum and George Brown College Culinary Arts building on Adelaide East.

That article gave me the vapours. Po-faced horn-honking about how we're actually very talented but oh, so humble, and let us humbly tell you the fact that our talent for being humble is why we humbly aren't seen to be as talented as we talentedly humble are. Plus assertions like this: "We don’t actually need foreign celebrity architects, but it’s good to have as many as possible working in the city" if we don't need them, why is it good to have as many as possible? It would make more sense to say: "I don't need a martini, but it's good to drink five of them with lunch! Yum!"

The real benchmark of mediocrity is indecision and the capstone of indecision is trying to have things both ways. Toronto has some under-sung and overlooked buildings? I agree. So just show them.

By the descriptions of the "red" ones on the map, at least 2 are the Gardiner Museum and George Brown College Culinary Arts building on Adelaide East.

Plus (spoiler alert):

Runnymede Library
Prospect Cemetery (Mausoleum by Baird Sampson?)
OAA

Lyle, Parkin, Baird, Kearns, KPMB, Teeple. All locals except the church. No big surprise from Hume.

Back