News   May 01, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 355     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 366     0 

Stampeding Calgary

Calgary isn't really any sprawllier than any number of North American cities like Oklahoma City or Louisville. It also has a heck of a lot of parkland. Oklahoma City has roughly 150,000 more people than Calgary but its suburbs extend twice as far as Calgary's and it only has a few small lakes and golf courses to diffuse the subdivisions.

Once we reach a certain point isn't it all rearranging chairs on the titanic anyway? I have a hard time trying to think that Calgary sprawl is somehow better than Atlanta sprawl.

Atlanta's not too bad - there's a wildlife corridor between every house.

Toronto's sprawl, while lamentable, is still at a point of return because we have built a quasi-transit city where people might live in suburban houses ringed with strip malls, but a large number of those residents still rely on public transit to get around.

I'm not a guru of third world planning, but it seems that Toronto is beginning to resemble places like Sao Paulo and Istanbul where the city was laid out for the car, but the majority of people do not own one. In those cities, wealth versus poverty dictate land use, and in our city dinosaur politicians, vision-less developers, and rigid planning laws force us to build a city that answers to fewer and fewer people.

This city will change, but only through private investment that is as far removed from the interference of politics as possible. Masterplanning neighbourhoods and dreaming up transit corridors is far too bureaucratic and lumbering. Instead, a parking lot at a Chinese mall will get turned into a night market; private jitneys will start operating more frequently between Brampton and Little India; the useless lawn in front of a tower slab will get dug up for townhouses; a sports bar owner in a strip mall buys out a few parking spaces and nails down a patio. I think that this is how we will transform our sprawly city.

And for those who think Calgary's too dense, there's nearby Langdon. Looks to me like hell on earth, complete with abandoned railway and cookie cutter exurban tract homes. About 12 km from purgatory.

Calgary is not dense at all, sure the downtown is all skyscraper but then out side the core there is no density, I live 6 blocks south of the core and there is almost nothing over 10 stories, and the vast majority of of the bulidings are 5 stories and under. but they are attempting to correct this, as there are several projects underway. but they need to redevlop the belt of open lots on the north side of the CPR tracks along 9 AV, there was a plan to for that but I dunno the status for it. also they need to start to zone more of the beltline for high density and stop all the frigging twinning of the towers out here and allow for some creativity to reign.

It will be interesting to see the next generation of cities in Canada develop.

Back