Toronto St Michael's Hospital Patient Care Tower & Emergency Department | ?m | 17s | St. Michael's | NORR

I was also surprised about that back when I read about it. It looks better than what's there right now though. I'd like to see them make a bigger ambulance bay with this, but I don't see it in the renders. The police and ambulances are always out on Shuter as well, blocking the bike lanes. And a bigger loading bay for the trucks that bring deliveries. Sometimes you have to walk out onto the street, because the trucks are blocking the sidewalk.

Looks like the new ER will be on Shuter, where the old, 6s building used to be:

http://www.stmichaelshospital.com/stmichaels3.0/gallery.php

Surprised that it is a 2s building - I am sure there will be plans for further additions.

AoD

Yep, the decrepit Shuter Wing. The section directly on the southwest corner of Shuter and Bond is ripde for demolition, though there are some 100-year old sections behind it that will likely go. But as long as the the central Bond Wing section is retained, all is well.

Yep, the decrepit Shuter Wing. The section directly on the southwest corner of Shuter and Bond is ripde for demolition, though there are some 100-year old sections behind it that will likely go. But as long as the the central Bond Wing section is retained, all is well.

Yet they were all once brand-new:

Last edited:
Yeah the TPA parking garage comes to mind.

AoD

don't like that idea.
Queen st should attempt to be as commercial as possible. The presence of St Milk's already does a lot of damage to Queen East's street life. An even bigger presence of St Michael's and the dreadful Moss Park armoury will kill any street life on Queen east between Yonge and Jarvis.

don't like that idea.
Queen st should attempt to be as commercial as possible. The presence of St Milk's already does a lot of damage to Queen East's street life. An even bigger presence of St Michael's and the dreadful Moss Park armoury will kill any street life on Queen east between Yonge and Jarvis.

Why - hospitals are a higher value use than run of the mill commercial spaces that could be anywhere.

AoD

don't like that idea.

It depends with what's going on at grade. 193 Yonge is fully tenanted on the upper floors by St. Mike's for office space, while co-existing with two floors of retail below:

193yonge.jpg

Attachments

• 193yonge.jpg
    193yonge.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 844
don't like that idea.

Harvey Milk was an amazing guy, but I doubt the Catholic Church would ever canonize him.

I realize it's just a rendering but, look at the size of the columns. Future expansion appears part of the design
As was reported higher up the thread, at Doors Open there was a model of the new operating theatre building at Victoria & Shuter. They will demolish the ugly building there now and INITIALLY build the 3(?) floor operating room building. When they get more $$ or have more need it will be built on top of it

Ughhh, one step forward, two steps back.

What's with Toronto hospitals demolishing beautiful, tall historical buildings and not coming close to matching the height in what replaces it lately?

Ughhh, one step forward, two steps back.

What's with Toronto hospitals demolishing beautiful, tall historical buildings and not coming close to matching the height in what replaces it lately?

St Mikes is probably the ugliest hospital downtown - massive, gloomy, boxy, taking more than an entire city block. Almost looking like a cold prison with no beauty or grace or anything slightly urban. What can you expect from it.

Last edited:

Back