Toronto St Michael's Hospital Patient Care Tower & Emergency Department | ?m | 17s | St. Michael's | NORR

Yes, basic facts are:

"Peter Gilgan, the billionaire philanthropist and founder of Oakville-based Mattamy Homes, is to announce a $30 million gift to downtown Toronto’s St. Michael’s Hospital on Friday morning.

The largest single donation in St. Michael’s 122-year history, the funds will be put toward the construction of a new patient care tower at the corner of Queen and Victoria Sts.

The new patient care tower is being specifically designed for critically ill patients – that is, patients suffering from time-sensitive and life-threatening conditions.

The tower will be part of a larger hospital redevelopment, which includes renovations that will nearly double the size of its emergency department. It currently treats nearly 75,000 people a year – about one-and-a-half times the number it was originally designed to handle."

CBC just announced this and said they hope to "start construction' in January. We shall see.....

Last edited:
I hope it is as nice as the Gilgan contribution to Sick Kids. Anything would be better than the current parking lot full of junk. Put the space to use.

I hope it is as nice as the Gilgan contribution to Sick Kids. Anything would be better than the current parking lot full of junk. Put the space to use.

Agree.
Any change to the existing structure? It looks really old, tired and gloomy.

Looks like this project is closer to happening—a major donation came in to make it happen. Article suggests construction begins in January.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/1...ion-toward-new-17-storey-critical-care-tower/

Great they have got two large donations ($30 million and now $15 million) in the last few weeks and that this will start soon.

It does raise a question about their plans for demolishing the building on Shuter between Bond and Victoria (and building a new emergency entrance there in a lower level building that would be built with the aim of eventually building another patient tower on top of it.) When I went to Doors Open at St Mikes in May they were showing a model of this and I thought that this was a necessary first step towards the building of the tower at Queen and Victoria.

At some point I think they may need to expand beyond their existing footprint (and there are heritage buildings in the complex I would loath to see torn down). The lot immediately north of MUC would be perfect (instead of the old cathedral condo proposal).

AoD

At some point I think they may need to expand beyond their existing footprint (and there are heritage buildings in the complex I would loath to see torn down). The lot immediately north of MUC would be perfect (instead of the old cathedral condo proposal).

AoD
Or onto the south side of Queen perhaps.

Back