News   Apr 24, 2024
 709     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 939     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 561     0 

St Lawrence Market

They are stripping off the asphalt on Lower Sherbourne today and revealing that most of the street has a brick base - with streetcar tracks going down at least a couple of hundred yards. (The led to the Carhouse that used to exist on the west side of Lower Sherbourne south of Front.)

Argh, I wish there was a way they could leave the brick exposed. I've seen it get paved over in a bunch of different locations (for obvious reasons). So painful.

They are stripping off the asphalt on Lower Sherbourne today and revealing that most of the street has a brick base - with streetcar tracks going down at least a couple of hundred yards. (The led to the Carhouse that used to exist on the west side of Lower Sherbourne south of Front.)
I think the building on Front St E where the Young People's Theatre is now located was originally horse stables for those first non-electric streetcars.

I think the building on Front St E where the Young People's Theatre is now located was originally horse stables for those first non-electric streetcars.
Yes: "165 Front Street East - acquired in 1891 for Toronto Street Railway, which had used it as horse stables 1887 to 1891; became electrical generating plant 1891-1906, then as storage space by TRC (1906-1921) and TTC (1921-1970s); deemed surplus and sold to Young People's Theatre 1977" (Wikipedia)

The bike path construction and the reconstruction of Lower Sherbourne from Front to Lake Shore is now finished until after the Pan-Am Games (there is a road construction moratorium downtown). The path is properly separated and finished northbound from Lake Shore to Front and southbound from Front to just north of the rail bridge. After the Pan-Am they will finish it off southbound and remove the dangerous right-turn channel. They will also be doing the block from King to Front, the construction fencing will, apparently, be removed soon around King and Sherbourne. They may continue to work on the small 'parkettes' that are being built at Sherbourne and The Esplanade and on both sides of Sherbourne just south of the rail bridge. The latter two will be set up so that they can be connected to the bike route planned immediately south of the rail berm. (Bringing it west to Lower Jarvis from its current end at Parliament.)

From this morning.

ki.jpg
king.jpg

Attachments

• ki.jpg
    ki.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 502
  • king.jpg
    king.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 491
The Metro is about to undergo a major renovation. I heard from one of the staff that they think the main entrance is going to be moved to the south side of the building facing Front. That side entrance can get pretty messy when the store is busy.

I'm just not a fan of these new bike lanes on Sherbourne. The street is a mess with traffic and there are several developments set to get built on that street in the next few years. Should be a 2 lane street. I think they had the right idea with moving the bike lanes to Jarvis.

Yes, but the secret is now 'out'. :->

Good it needs to be. Considering where I live and work I had no idea until I found it by accident.

Back