Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

I see...only the traffic court component of provincial courts. Still, I'd rather see a grand contemporary public/event space rather than one squeezed in under an administrative building.

If a multi-purpose building was absolutely necessary they should have made Context incorporate it into the Market Wharf condo complex south of the market. In fact, having the north market move south might have helped draw people south of Front St. Then there would have been the space for a piazza where the north market stands and maybe some sort of mural outlining the areas history.

There are a lot of alternatives better than a four-storey building that introduces a ton of traffic into an urban area and may require ruining part of Market Lane for a ramp.

I have the opposite view of Archivist, but for the same reason. Yes, the Chedington is serious, and it was relatively well done using quality materials and blends in nicely with its surroundings. NY Towers are a joke, from concept to final product.

The pretentiousness of those buildings is enough to raise your gorge. And stubby, cookie-cutter paraphrasings of singular, iconic skyscrapers elsewhere is just embarrassing. Toronto is Toronto, and it can be proud of what it is. But every time I see those buildings, screaming of a desire to be New York, I can't help thinking of this town as a guy with a 4" schwantz bulling around with a roll of socks in pants. God, couldn't they at least have made one of each and doubled the height or something?

St. Lawrence Market makeover urged

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/523585

St. Lawrence Market makeover urged
TheStar.com - GTA - St. Lawrence Market makeover urged

TIME FOR CHANGE

Proposed timeline:

2009: Design competition

2010: North Market is demolished; parking garage construction begins; farmers move to temporary location

2013: Building is completed

2014: Temporary market is turned into city park
Proposed four-storey building would replace lacklustre North Market if council approves plan

October 24, 2008
Patti Winsa
Staff reporter

The bunker-like structure that has served as the northern half of the St. Lawrence Market for four decades may soon be replaced by a grand new building that's finally a fitting match for its southern neighbour.

City staff are recommending a redevelopment plan for the St. Lawrence Market North at Front and Jarvis Sts. that includes a new four-storey building with two levels of underground parking. The first floor, reserved for the farmers' market on Saturday and the antique market on Sunday, will be available for other markets, or even exhibits, the rest of the week.

A second-floor mezzanine, as well as the third and fourth floors, will consolidate the city's traffic courts from their current locations in Old City Hall and University Ave.

Council will vote on the plan in early December if the city's executive committee endorses the proposal when it meets next month. Projected costs won't be disclosed publicly until then.

The new building will be a "good anchor for one of the city's most important historical precincts," says Councillor Pam McConnell.

"It's important that we get it right," adds McConnell, who represents the area (Toronto Centre Rosedale) and sat on the committee that created the development plan. "That's why five years of planning and debating and financing have gone on."

Formed at the request of council, the committee included representatives from the North, South and antique markets, the local BIA, the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association and an arm's-long-list of city staff.

McConnell says the current North Market building "has come to its functional end." Built in 1968 as the market's temporary home, the building has improper drainage and washrooms that need updating. Electrical cords hang from the ceiling.

If redevelopment is approved, the city will launch an architectural competition in January. An independent jury will choose the winner, a process that could be completed in three months.

Vendors will be moved to a temporary market behind the South Market in what is now a parking lot.

One of the most contentious debates for the committee was parking, which took years to resolve. Members couldn't agree on how traffic should enter or leave the new parking garage, which the Toronto Parking Authority has put money aside to build. "It's not a question of the parking, but that the access to the parking could affect residents," says Jorge Carvalho, supervisor of the St. Lawrence Complex, which includes St. Lawrence Hall and the North and South Markets. "If you live right next door to the entrance to a parking lot, you don't like it."

Members finally agreed that access to and from the garage would be off Jarvis.

The new garage will also help the South Market, a "destination market," says Carvalho. "When the market lost the parking lots around it (to development), it really affected business significantly." The market proposal was also held up by an 11th-hour bid by local developer Paul Oberman, who owns property on the southwest corner of Front and Market Sts. and who would like to build a large LCBO outlet similar to the one at Summerhill. But parking issues have also hindered redevelopment in that corner.

Oberman proposed leasing the entire market complex for 99 years and building a new two-storey building. The developer also discussed jacking up the South Market to build a parking garage underneath.

McConnell says she was willing to look at any proposals that would improve the complex, but in the end city staff rejected the plan. "Ninety-nine years is a long time," she says. "Essentially it would have meant privatization."

This seems a reasonable plan, and nice to hear that they are having a design competition. I was not pleased with the "ye olde" renderings of a few years back.

The access to parking from Jarvis is a mistake. That area has terrible traffic on most days. With Church having no access to Lakeshore everyone piles onto Jarvis.

The access to parking from Jarvis is a mistake. That area has terrible traffic on most days. With Church having no access to Lakeshore everyone piles onto Jarvis.
Traffic access is a real problem but there are few if any good choices. If it is on King the TTC streetcar will be slower than now (if that's possible), if it is on Front it will create a garage entrance at the front door of both the Markets, if it runs through Market Square Park it will destroy the park. One possibility was to have access from Church Street by going through the garage of Market Square but this apparently proved impossible. There is also a huge sewer under Front Street which prevents an underground entrance being created under Front Street (and unfortunately no underground link between the two Market buildings is possible either.)
Drivers who now use Jarvis may have to spread out further east and also use Sherbourne and Parliament.

A redesign of the North Market was the major project for third year MA Arch students at UofT last year - good timing I guess. It'd be great to see a canvassing of some of their ideas.

I would like to see some "Ye Olde" influence in the design. It doesn't have to be faux, but I'd hate to see something ultra-modern there.

As long as the term "Ye Olde" isn't a benchmark. Perhaps I'd rather see something invoking the 1970s/80s of the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood than the 1870s/80s of Ye Oldeness...

I understand G's point, and I could easily go for something that references the older brick architecture around. It was the poured concrete corninthian columns that I was afraid of. It need not make a modernist statement, and I'd like to see brick used.

I would like to see some "Ye Olde" influence in the design. It doesn't have to be faux, but I'd hate to see something ultra-modern there.

I agree. We've had something "ultramodern" there for 40 years and it's always struck me as just wrong, nestled as it is between the two St. Lawrence's.

Part of the problem may have been that it was designed, according to the Star article, to be temporary. Surprised to hear that, as it sure looks like it was meant to be permanent.

I agree. We've had something "ultramodern" there for 40 years and it's always struck me as just wrong, nestled as it is between the two St. Lawrence's.

Except that the just-wrongness may not be so much due to "ultramodernity" as to banality, i.e. it's a watered-down brutalist lump, emphasis on "watered-down". Paradoxically, when it comes to just-wrong failures of imagination, it may be its own era's version of opting for pseudo-historical treacle today.

As far as its being a "temporary home" is concerned, I'd like to know the story behind that--unless it had something to do with the then-mooted replacement of South SLM...

I do not like the idea of a garage included in the new building at St. Lawrence Market. Instead, the garage should be located where the current parking lot is right now, south of the entire St. Lawrence Market.

Better to have the TTC more convenient than cars. Garage only for the vendors at the Market.

Back