Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Timely - they found something - by Don Peat on Twitter:

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 6m6 minutes ago
Pam McConnell announcing an "archeological discovery" on Tuesday that was made at the North St. Lawrence Market building #TOpoli

https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/639895058960019456

Let's hope it isn't something that would significantly delay the project.

AoD

Let's also hope it is "memorable" - possibly the original well that old plans show being in that block.

City of Toronto Media Relations has issued the following:
==========================================

Media Advisory

September 4, 2015

Archeological discovery made at North St. Lawrence Market construction site

Deputy Mayor Pam McConnell (Ward 28 Toronto Centre-Rosedale) and lead archaeologist for the North St. Lawrence Market Redevelopment, Dr. Peter Popkin of Golder Associates Ltd., will be available to discuss an archeological discovery made at the North St. Lawrence Market building construction site.

Date: Tuesday, September 8
Time: 10:15 a.m.
Location: Toronto City Hall, 2nd floor, A Street Reception area, 100 Queen St. W.

If only we had Byzantine fleets from 500 BCE and Neolilthic village from 6000 BCE to worry about - we won't be building a market extension, we'd be building a museum for it on the site.

AoD

We have native sites that are thousands of years old. This project is also in the most historic European part of the city, so it would be interesting to see something substantial uncovered.

I'm getting bored of the assumption that we have little of historical significance.

I'm also confused at how it's seen as being "politically correct" to consider our history important. Is First Nations history of lesser significance to us than European history and therefore taking a keen interest in it is only an act of being "politically correct"?

Very interested to see what has been found on the site; whether it's ruins or a piece of First Nations history from the area, it must be somewhat fascinating, especially if they are making an announcement about it. That said, ideally it won't be something that would slow the project down too much.

Lets not be so politically correct....at most a few arrow tips, but not Byzantine fleets or a Neolilthic village from 6000 BC...

There was nothing "politically correct" about what junctionist said.

And, as an aside, on what basis are you assigning values to various types of archaeological sites?

Last edited:
There was nothing "politically correct" about what junctionist said.
And, as an aside, on what basis are you assigning values to various types of archaeological sites?

Archaeologists can and does triage (just think that we did in the end remove the various material artefacts from the various buried piers) - but in any case that's premature - let's see what they've found. If it was an old well - it would be kind of neat to move it out the the Market Lane Park as part of a general redesign of that space.

AoD

Archaeologists can and does triage (just think that we did in the end remove the various material artefacts from the various buried piers) - but in any case that's premature - let's see what they've found. If it was an old well - it would be kind of neat to move it out the the Market Lane Park as part of a general redesign of that space.

AoD
If they found an old well I suspect that what they found was the shaft rather than the 'well-head". Probably very interesting archaeologically as things get thrown down wells but not really movable.

If they found an old well I suspect that what they found was the shaft rather than the 'well-head". Probably very interesting archaeologically as things get thrown down wells but not really movable.

Depending on the location it may very well have to be moved (disassembled?) anyways given the need for a parking garage of significant depth.

AoD

Depending on the location it may very well have to be moved (disassembled?) anyways given the need for a parking garage of significant depth.

AoD

I assume they would simply take the top few feet of the well, and rebuild it on the surface. This would allow them to locate it on the main market floor, in its original location.

My other guess as to what they have discovered is it may be a time capsule?

I assume they would simply take the top few feet of the well, and rebuild it on the surface. This would allow them to locate it on the main market floor, in its original location.

My other guess as to what they have discovered is it may be a time capsule?

Nope - artifacts from previous markets - city news release:

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...89RCRD&nrkey=6EAEE430ED3DBC2285257EBA005334F9

In light of the findings, the next step in the North St. Lawrence Market Redevelopment project will be to engage in Stage 4 mitigation of development impacts to ensure the conservation of any structures that are of important historical value. The existing structure must be demolished to allow full site access before Stage 4 mitigation can safely occur. This added step will delay the construction of the new building, but the length of the delay is not yet known as archeological assessments continue.

The project will be delayed.

AoD

Back