St. Clair Commentary - Peter Kent

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From the Post:

Save Our St. Clair gets political
Group opposed to streetcar project vows to make it an election issue

Peter Kent, National Post
Published: Thursday, April 06, 2006

Toronto's emerging springtime bulbs and bulging buds are as soul-refreshing as ever, but my greatest seasonal pleasure this year is drawn from two stacks of rusting streetcar tracks on St. Clair Avenue.

Yes, they create frustrating traffic choke points at rush hour -- they've been stacked in the middle of the street near Clifton Road (just west of Mount Pleasant) and at Lyndhurst Avenue across from Loblaws (just east of Bathurst) since late last summer.

But, in their static, oxidizing state, there is new hope these tracks will be eventually installed as most taxpayers and small businesses along St. Clair would prefer -- not in the manner favoured by Councillor Joe Mihevic, TTC chairman Howard Moscoe and Mayor David Miller.

There's no question the existing track bed is in need of repair.

But the tax-and-spend social engineers on city council want to impose a costly and inappropriate replacement of the current track system along St. Clair West with a dedicated, exclusive streetcar right-of-way that would create a barrier dividing the street. The plan is not quite as physically divisive as the TTC equivalent of Hadrian's Wall down Spadina, but there's little doubt in the minds of folks along St. Clair that it would have a similar negative impact, socially and economically.

During months of campaigning in the area during my recent federal political adventure -- a disappointing personal outcome, though much satisfaction from the larger victory -- I found virtually no support for the project that would narrow sidewalks, congest traffic, reduce street parking and delivery opportunities, complicate left turns and increase pedestrian wait times, while improving streetcar travel times by barely a minute or two.

The cost of this unpopular project has exploded from an original $32-million to $65-million. And, additional costs, such as the burying of hydro wires from poles that would have to be removed to accommodate narrowed sidewalks, would push the cost closer to $100-million.

A passionate citizens' campaign mounted against the project, led by Margaret Smith and her ''Save Our St. Clair'' committee, stopped construction last October when a three-judge panel ruled the project had been improperly approved by the city and the TTC.

But, after the Ontario Municipal Board approved retroactive changes to Toronto's Official Transportation Plan, a second judicial panel ruled in late February that the city could proceed. Mr. Mihevic proclaimed road crews would begin work on the divisive right-of-way by April.

Then new procedural shortcomings came to light. And, as the TTC and the works committee scramble to sort things out, construction has been delayed again, until at least July.

This latest development has given new energy to the Save Our St. Clair campaign and redirected its focus from the legal arena to the political.

Ms. Smith says the only way to stop the project now is ''to fight the city politically.'' Although stopping short of announcing her own candidacy in the November civic election -- for now -- Ms. Smith says that, in the pursuit of more democratic, accountable government that respects local neighbourhoods, she'll campaign to make this a city-wide issue by the Nov. 13 vote.

There's every reason to hope she'll find common cause with feisty mayoral candidate Jane Pitfield and the 16 other fiscally prudent councillors who opposed Mr. Miller and his 26 tax-and-spend cronies who have just rammed through the $7.6-billion budget that will push residential taxes up an unnecessary 3%, and business taxes another 1%.

Replacement of just six or seven of the free-spenders could bring better balance, transparency and accountability to a council so obviously in need of the new broom promised but never delivered by Mr. Miller.

As a start, there's close to $50-million in savings that might yet be made if this city council -- or the next -- listened to the people of St. Clair who want their streetcars the old-fashioned way: without barriers or dedicated right-of-way.

Something to ponder the next time you wend your way around those two stacks of rusty tracks on St. Clair.

- Peter Kent is a Global TV executive and former anchor who was a candidate for the Conservative party in the Jan. 23 federal election.

But, in their static, oxidizing state, there is new hope these tracks will be eventually installed as most taxpayers and small businesses along St. Clair would prefer -- not in the manner favoured by Councillor Joe Mihevic, TTC chairman Howard Moscoe and Mayor David Miller.

Huh? The last time I've checked, the residents in the area (who presumably pay taxes) are pretty split on the matter.

But the tax-and-spend social engineers on city council want to impose a costly and inappropriate replacement of the current track system along St. Clair West with a dedicated, exclusive streetcar right-of-way that would create a barrier dividing the street. The plan is not quite as physically divisive as the TTC equivalent of Hadrian's Wall down Spadina, but there's little doubt in the minds of folks along St. Clair that it would have a similar negative impact, socially and economically.

Well, it didn't take long for the rhetoric to show. I particularly liked the analogy of the Spadina LRT to Hadrian's Wall - I wonder if the author of the piece had ANY clue what the latter looked like?

During months of campaigning in the area during my recent federal political adventure -- a disappointing personal outcome, though much satisfaction from the larger victory -- I found virtually no support for the project that would narrow sidewalks, congest traffic, reduce street parking and delivery opportunities, complicate left turns and increase pedestrian wait times, while improving streetcar travel times by barely a minute or two.

Hmm, I am awfully curious as to what sorts of campaigning he did - virtually no support? What the hell is this, North Korea, where things are suspiciously 100% right all the time?

There's every reason to hope she'll find common cause with feisty mayoral candidate Jane Pitfield and the 16 other fiscally prudent councillors who opposed Mr. Miller and his 26 tax-and-spend cronies who have just rammed through the $7.6-billion budget that will push residential taxes up an unnecessary 3%, and business taxes another 1%.

Actually, it's the right wing members of the council who decided to forgo the usual line-by-line vote on the budget items, resulting in their failure in the ultimate vote. I wonder who is doing the "ramming down one's throat". Interesting juxtaposition of the saints vs. devils, at that.

Replacement of just six or seven of the free-spenders could bring better balance, transparency and accountability to a council so obviously in need of the new broom promised but never delivered by Mr. Miller.

Obviously, the broom handle belongs to someone's throat or elsewhere. Mr. Kent should be the first in line at the receiving end.

AoD

As a start, there's close to $50-million in savings that might yet be made if this city council -- or the next -- listened to the people of St. Clair who want their streetcars the old-fashioned way: without barriers or dedicated right-of-way.
Ah yes, the good old days when streetcars had a ROW on St. Clair.

I liked Arthur Kent better. He brought me my first war, while studying for some grade 10 math test. "I want audio!" Such days, the whole easy 1990s to look forward to.

Why does everyone who brings up the finances, including councilors, forget that it is being paid for out of operational budget savings directly (shift $N from operations to capital for 10 years).

The total funds invested into the streetcar for ~10 years following the completion will be the same (loan payments/interest versus operators/subsidies), neaming there is an insignificant budget impact until 2018.

That said, we can save about $120M over 10 years if we skip building the ROW, skip rebuilding the tracks, and eliminate all transit service on St. Clair.

Probably save another $200M over 10 years if we eliminate all street, park, hydro, water/sewer and other maintance, police, fire, close libraries, garbage pickup, snow clearance, etc. on St. Clair.

I just found $320M in savings! How do I sign up to be mayor?

I wonder if Peter Kent is mulling a bid to run against Mihevc(which he can't spell) - and conveniently using CanWest (which he seemed to have no problem returning to) as a soapbox for now. I hear Margaret Smith isn't the electable type.

At least few read the Post.

Kent ran and lost in St Paul's for the conservatives... how convenient.

God, can someone shoot that woman? I, of course, don't mean that literally.

The plan is not quite as physically divisive as the TTC equivalent of Hadrian's Wall down Spadina, but there's little doubt in the minds of folks along St. Clair that it would have a similar negative impact, socially and economically.

Oh yes, that Spadina ROW is very divisive. I would cross to the west side of the street if it wasn't such a chore. Sometimes I am on the east side looking over to those people on the west side wondering what life is like over there. I almost had the courage to cross the great divide but I chickened out at the last minute. Those poor souls living on the west side isolated from the economic benefits provided to those that live on the east.

Is Peter Kent on crack?

Eh... will people not be able to cross the street at intersections along St. Clair? Are they darting off in the middle of traffic right now in total disregard for traffic? Where do they think they are, Montreal?!

Why is a little curb in the road so scary? Are they afraid of the shadow it will cast?

Breaking news! Those who supported a Conservative candidate in a dense, downtown riding are the same sort of people who oppose taking away space from cars for public transit! Whoda thunk it?!?

The spadina streetcar line actually makes it easier to cross the street at any point.

"The spadina streetcar line actually makes it easier to cross the street at any point."

Sure... if you're a pedestrian. When folks like Kent and SOS talk about how it will be a barrier and make St. Clair impossible to cross they often aren't talking about being on foot.

Haha...I bet he originally wrote Great Wall of China instead of Hadrian's Wall, but it got edited out.

Thank God that man didn't make it into Parliament.

He's absolutely clueless.

Back