Square One Shopping Centre

I noticed that Retail Council report mentions a Northwest expansion plan in the works. I take it that's the Target and old theatre.

I'm very curious what their plans are for this area. It's not like the mall needs additional retail space.

Although it would be nice to see a Uniqlo here. But I think maybe they could put more restaurants along this area. Maybe Cheesecake Factory? lol

I noticed that Retail Council report mentions a Northwest expansion plan in the works. I take it that's the Target and old theatre.

I'm very curious what their plans are for this area. It's not like the mall needs additional retail space.

Although it would be nice to see a Uniqlo here. But I think maybe they could put more restaurants along this area. Maybe Cheesecake Factory? lol

Probably. When I spoke with the Mississauga city planners a few months back, they said they were working, or trying to convince, the owners of SQ1 to redevelop this section of the mall including the parking lot in front of Sheridan college.

7e0404b8-b7b0-42f8-8c75-028f5bf46565_zpsyxwf316q.jpg

That's... kinda disappointing. The "Rec Room" from where I read elsewhere, isn't a such a great place - it will also compete with Playdium across the street. Wouldn't the old Cineplex be a better site for it, anyway?

I was expecting Chapters/Indigo to move across Rathburn into this space myself.

That's... kinda disappointing. The "Rec Room" from where I read elsewhere, isn't a such a great place - it will also compete with Playdium across the street. Wouldn't the old Cineplex be a better site for it, anyway?

I was expecting Chapters/Indigo to move across Rathburn into this space myself.

It's a massive location for a Chapters/Indigo. The Rec Room sounds promising to me. Reminds me of Dave and Busters, and will go a long way in terms of activating this part of city centre at a time when malls become dead zones.

As for competing with Playdium, I don't think that will be an issue at all. Playdium doesn't attract the same crowd. It's mostly kids. (Cineplex owns Playdium btw)

The best thing for the west end is to tear it down as it has too much empty space in the mall now. A few more stores are in the process of closing down now and close to 7% vacancy, the highest I have seen in over a decade or two. If the Sq foot is used, over 15% of the mall.

It's funny in a way OMERs going this route now for the Rec Room, as that idea was part of the mall extension idea before OMERs bought the mall and down size the extension.

Tory Burch is coming into the high wing next to the Porsche Dealershhip.

But I do agree, too many empty stores popping up and taking way too long to fill them. Last month both boathouse and BCBG closed, rather large prominent footprints. Next month express is gone, again large prominent footprint.

I really don't know how many stores the mall can really absorb, J crew maybe, i know they want Uniqlo but that is probably a couple years away, about a year or so ago Crate and barrel had discussions about know moving into the mall.

But looking at square one and Erin mills town centre maybe Mississauga just slightly over built, especially with the add ons at Heartland and Sherway.

Quite a bit coming to the mall in the next six months. Reds Wine Tavern (Fall), Genesis, COS, Tory Burch, Maska, Rita Scimento, Kids Foot Locker/Fly Zone and Matt and Nat (coming this summer). Looks like the Rec Room will not be accessible from the mall, probably due to their operating hours. Still a lot of the old Target space available. Will be interesting to see what they do in that area.

Heartland has seen a lot of turnover the last few years.

I keep shaking my head how Erin Mills has last this long as its was a poor design mall from day one thats being hanging on for a decade until the makeover. Not impress with the makeover other than the Food Court and the Dome

Sq One was rank as #2 mall in Canada at one time and fallen down the list. The wine rack is gone and since I spend very little time there these days no idea who has come and gone over the last few years. Some has to do with the shakeout of the retail sector since a number of Nation Brand Chains have gone under.

I still say Sq One is the elephant in the room stopping the city from building a downtown and it must reinvent itself on a small foot scale along the lines of Eaton Centre. This has been a vision of the city for years.

Best to put the pads into the mall freeing up development land, especially for a new transit hub.

Pulled this screen cap from a Committee of Adjustment meeting on August 17th, showing an updated rendering of the northwest quadrant of the mall, featuring The Rec Room and... an Indigo.

Not really shocking, but no official word yet from Oxford. If this means that the Chapters will be moving into the mall and re-branding as "Indigo," then it's another chess piece falling into place for redevelopment of the lands north of Rathburn.

indigo.png

Attachments

• indigo.png
    indigo.png
    310.4 KB · Views: 634
Last edited by a moderator:
That screen cap and the attached leasing plan would indicate the Indigo would be located in W-208. The 26,ooo sq ft is similar to Chapters existing 25,000 sq ft footprint.

Question is, how many more food locations can one mall support?

Attachments

• 29810_RFP.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,310
That screen cap and the attached leasing plan would indicate the Indigo would be located in W-208. The 26,ooo sq ft is similar to Chapters existing 25,000 sq ft footprint.

Question is, how many more food locations can one mall support?

It is a major trend. https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2017/8/restaurants-in-malls-trend

Also interesting to see Lindt chocolate will be opening in the mall fairly shortly. If you buy there make sure you get the coupons online. Or jut drive to there outlet in Mississauga.

With all those new condo's around it, people do want a night out, so some new restaurants can be supported.
The city is also trying to get some office towers built in that area, last year the city went to the tech company Soti to build its new HQ where sportcheck used to be. Soti ended leasing a new development on Hurontario (I think they have 200-300 employees), but should tell you that the city wants new companies near sq one/transit. If they can attract a few over next few years, plus the condo's and general growth in Mississauga the restaurants should do fine long term.

Back