Square One Shopping Centre

Contained in this article about Planet Fitness taking over the former Target location in Westdale Mall is the following:

As of today. Square One has no news. That said, there have been persistent (but unconfirmed) rumors that Bass Pro Shop might be eyeing the ample retail space.

This is the first I'm hearing of this rumour; has anyone else heard this one? If it's true that would be a great addition to the mall though I wonder if there would be major renovations to the current structure or if they would tear it down and rebuild it in the traditional style of a Bass Pro. I assume the latter and I also assume it would be closer in size to the smaller version in Niagara on the Lake, as opposed to the (almost) full sized version at Vaughan Mills.

Cool that would be awesome potentially transforming the demographics of Square One. We'll see what happens.

It seems like an odd location for a shop that specializes in hunting/fishing gear. I can't see this actually happening.

How is it any more odd than Vaughan Mills or the outlets in NOTL?

Vaughan Mills is a strategic location to capture travelers heading to cottage country. Same as NOTL. They are located in places with access to a large percentage of recreational consumers, something you need for a hunting/fishing store. Square One is more geared to your urban commuter, not someone heading out to hunt or fish.

Now, they could be changing their retail strategy to target the more urban consumer, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that this is the case.

The Credit River is the source of a massive amount of salmon and, as a result, is the launching area for a significant portion of Lake Ontario's salmon fishing. Your post also assumes that recreational consumers generally purchase closer to their destinations rather than closer to their homes. The success of a store like Sail in Etobicoke and Burlington leads me to believe that is not necessarily the case.

The Credit River is the source of a massive amount of salmon and, as a result, is the launching area for a significant portion of Lake Ontario's salmon fishing. Your post also assumes that recreational consumers generally purchase closer to their destinations rather than closer to their homes. The success of a store like Sail in Etobicoke and Burlington leads me to believe that is not necessarily the case.

Im not hypothetically speaking... my response is based on actual consumer studies. Im in the industry, working for a retailer with a massive hunting/fishing business. People do purchase closer to their destinations rather than their homes when it comes to these categories, which is why I find the idea of Bass Pro Shops at Square One to be nothing more than a rumour.

The 400 corridor and the QEW have heavy recreational traffic and make perfect sense for these kinds of stores. Mississauga City Centre does not. The only thing I'd see working here is a smaller shop with a focus on camping and clothing, and then basics for fishing and hunting. (no firearms, no boats etc)

Last edited:
Well the sneak peek of the much anticipated luxury wing is finally here.

20160302_002042993_iOS.jpg
20160302_002047930_iOS.jpg
20160302_002116347_iOS.jpg

PS. Kate Spade finally opened today. Apparently Holt Renfrew is opening this summer....change of date?

Attachments

• 20160302_002042993_iOS.jpg
    20160302_002042993_iOS.jpg
    794.8 KB · Views: 1,503
  • 20160302_002047930_iOS.jpg
    20160302_002047930_iOS.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 1,432
  • 20160302_002116347_iOS.jpg
    20160302_002116347_iOS.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,485
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how big Square One will be after the expansion is finished? I have read everything from 1.8 to 2.2 million sf. I don't know why the press on this is so inconsistent.

I know most Urban Toronto members who posted on this thread know this, but I may have to say it again: Square One needs to kick out Wallymart and Dollyrama (colloquial of Walmart and Dollarama) and replace them with more upscale retailers in order to reach its "big goal."
Does anyone know how big Square One will be after the expansion is finished? I have read everything from 1.8 to 2.2 million sf. I don't know why the press on this is so inconsistent.
I can think 2 reasons:

1: Some may include the abandoned space (primarily former Empire and Target spaces located on the mall's west side) while others don't.
2: You may want to check when the info was from. For example, Wikipedia just updated the mall's size.

BTW, Retail Insider has a look on how far it is on being more like Yorkdale, but the article does not say it is becoming more like Yorkdale.

I know most Urban Toronto members who posted on this thread know this, but I may have to say it again: Square One needs to kick out Wallymart and Dollyrama (colloquial of Walmart and Dollarama) and replace them with more upscale retailers in order to reach its "big goal."

I can think 2 reasons:

1: Some may include the abandoned space (primarily former Empire and Target spaces located on the mall's west side) while others don't.
2: You may want to check when the info was from. For example, Wikipedia just updated the mall's size.

BTW, Retail Insider has a look on how far it is on being more like Yorkdale, but the article does not say it is becoming more like Yorkdale.

Square One is not Yorkdale or Sherway. It's a gigantic mall that serves just about every need and every market. That's something that I like about it.

I recently spoke with a couple of urban planners from the City and they stated that they are working hard to convince SQ1 to redevelop the parking lot below so don't be surprised if we hear some kind of announcement in 2017 about a possible expansion and redevelopment of Target and the old theatre. The City wants to enhance the Sheridan experience by having street facing cafes, shops, etc. along Duke of York while eliminating the swath of mall parking lots that plague the area.

7e0404b8-b7b0-42f8-8c75-028f5bf46565_zpsyxwf316q.jpg

Oxford is probably more concerned with filling up the empty spaces currently in the mall. There are only so many makeup and eyeware chains a mall can handle.

Anyone know what's happening with Esprit? It was supposed to reopen in Square One

Back