News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 690     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 942     0 

Square footage includes your balcony/terrace?

Ummer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just wondering when Condo's list their price and unit layout, does that square footage include balcony?

For instance, the new Hullmark 840 sq. ft. condo, does that include the balcony as well?

Also, when selling a condo, do you usually list the square footage including your balcony?

Only and always the internal living space.

The Hullmark centre's measurement does not include the balcony space. Tridel always has accurate measurement of the usable space.

Actually, there are developers would include the balcony measurement on the floor plans in order to make the total spaces look large.

How does it work for enclosed or semi-enclosed balconies?

You might not think much of it but one killer is that squarefootage includes half the wall thickness between units, between the unit and the hallway, internal partitian walls and columns and the entire thickness of the exterior wall to the exterior face. Add it all up and you could almost have another room.

How does it work for enclosed or semi-enclosed balconies?

The square footage includes only fully enclosed, heated, and liveable floor space. An open balcony or terrace is never counted in the basic square footage. Many developers will quote the area of a balcony separately, but it must be clear that it is additional to the liveable space.

Requirements for advertising areas are established by Tarion (Bulletin #22).

I've heard and read before how square footage is arrived at. Tricky , I believe has got it right. However, I have seen many times , layouts that were very suspicious. The numbers always came up way too high(surprise, surprise). Can't recall ever seeing one that came in looking too low though.
Never ever take for granted what you see printed in black and white in as as being accurate. If your initial gut feeling conflicts with the square footage you see printed.., go with your gut and the do some careful math.
Quick little personal story:
Many many years ago we bought a side split from plans and it measured as 1510 square feet.
Some friends of ours, by sheer coincidence did the same on the same weekend but at another development by a another builder. Their side split measured out at 1595 square ft.
For months we excitedly compared plans when we got together. They loved theirs. We loved ours. A number of times a comment would be made from them that it somehow seemed odd but our house on paper seemed to appear larger in many respects. Of course we all agreed it couldn't be. The plans total square footage said so.
They moved in. We moved in. When they came to visit us, they were shocked. Our house was not smaller or similar, but obviously larger. Without trying to sound smug, I think all four of us learned a new life lesson then.:)

I've heard and read before how square footage is arrived at. Tricky , I believe has got it right. However, I have seen many times , layouts that were very suspicious. The numbers always came up way too high(surprise, surprise). Can't recall ever seeing one that came in looking too low though.
Never ever take for granted what you see printed in black and white in as as being accurate. If your initial gut feeling conflicts with the square footage you see printed.., go with your gut and the do some careful math.
Quick little personal story:
Many many years ago we bought a side split from plans and it measured as 1510 square feet.
Some friends of ours, by sheer coincidence did the same on the same weekend but at another development by a another builder. Their side split measured out at 1595 square ft.
For months we excitedly compared plans when we got together. They loved theirs. We loved ours. A number of times a comment would be made from them that it somehow seemed odd but our house on paper seemed to appear larger in many respects. Of course we all agreed it couldn't be. The plans total square footage said so.
They moved in. We moved in. When they came to visit us, they were shocked. Our house was not smaller or similar, but obviously larger. Without trying to sound smug, I think all four of us learned a new life lesson then.:)

how was your friend's floor plan? Was it a rounded corner area? My agent told me the way they measure the floor plan for rounded corners. The black area is the living space. The grey area is the extra space that's added to the floor plan size.

The square footage includes only fully enclosed, heated, and liveable floor space. An open balcony or terrace is never counted in the basic square footage. Many developers will quote the area of a balcony separately, but it must be clear that it is additional to the liveable space.

Requirements for advertising areas are established by Tarion (Bulletin #22).

Unfinished basement and garage are also not included in the square footage. Finishing the basement or converting the garage into livable space, increases the square footage (also ups the taxable property assessment).

Back