News   Apr 24, 2024
 115     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 591     0 

Spellin' and gramma

I don't mind apostrophes in "70's" or "80's" if only because it's a nice way to differentiate between letters and numbers...I'll often add them when writing just so the zero cannot be interpreted as an 'oh'

As numbers are all the same height, vs. lower-case letters which are based in the bottom half of the line, there is already a visual distinction when writing decades. You may not mind the apostrophe here but it is incorrect.

Although not literally correct, I think common usage makes the possessive apostrophe work in some manner because it's the decade (and whatever happened during that time) belonging to the 70's.

"Common usage" does not "make it work". It's works because it is correct - as long as the mention of the decade is possessive.

Yeah, but sense is less important than effective communication. If a majority of people like and use 70's, they're not wrong and the language laws should change.

"Sense" in this context is the same thing as "effective communication".

You're trying to apply principles of spoken language to writing systems. These principles of language change apply to spoken language, but not to writing. Change in writing standards has to be agreed upon, and consensus is more difficult to reach because we are referring to formal writing rules.

Your preference for the possessive "70's" where it is not possessive is a result of frequent, mistaken usage. The rules governing the apostrophe in this case are actually logical, so there is no argument for changing the rules. Changing the (logical) rule here would make no difference to those who are unaware of the reasoning, but to those who are aware of the rule, it would cause confusion.

(I touch on the explanation for some of this reasoning in my 2nd post in this thread.)

I just abide by the apostropheless 70s or 80s. (So did Pevsner, you architectural history types out there.)

As numbers are all the same height, vs. lower-case letters which are based in the bottom half of the line, there is already a visual distinction when writing decades. You may not mind the apostrophe here but it is incorrect.

Your preference for the possessive "70's" where it is not possessive is a result of frequent, mistaken usage.

There is absolutely no visual distinction between zeroes and ohs when I'm scribbling an exam.

I don't even know how often I put I '80s or 80's when I write or type...it's not a conscious effort so I'd have to go find examples. I certainly don't prefer one way or the other, I said I don't mind it.

edit - I did a quick search and found that I do indeed type 70s and 80s.

In the same context that makes my esses and fives almost indistinguishable, and my eights are dodgy, too. I just glanced at a page of stuff I scribbled that had lots of 1840s and 1860s with no apostrophes...I thought I added them more often but I guess I don't, though I know I've done it in the past just so the numbers are easier to pick off a page of scribbles. I know it's "wrong" but I don't mind at all when other people do it, and that's just going to have to bug you as much as foyer/fawyer.

There is a visual distinction between 0 and o, and the fact that someone may "scribble" does not negate that fact. Scribbling creates visual confusion and hampers clear communication - especially when writing an exam.

An apostrophe is used to pluralize 70 and 80 because they aren't actually words.

70's and 80's ---> correct

70s and 80s ---> incorrect

The B-52's ---> correct

The B-52s ---> incorrect

An example not involving numbers is TA (teaching assistant). TA is not a word, so the correct plural form is TA's, not TAs.

There is a visual distinction between 0 and o, and the fact that someone may "scribble" does not negate that fact. Scribbling creates visual confusion and hampers clear communication - especially when writing an exam.

For most people, there is absolutely no distinction between an O and a 0 when they write.

I'm looking at some of my notes right now and I can't find any evidence at all that I ever use 70's...maybe I don't use it and have never used it and I just have a secret desire to use it because it rile's you guys's feather's...

Either way, I'm perfectly accepting and tolerant of the practice. Using your instead of you're, though, is unforgivable.

An apostrophe is used to pluralize 70 and 80 because they aren't actually words.

70's and 80's ---> correct

70s and 80s ---> incorrect

The B-52's ---> correct

The B-52s ---> incorrect

What's your source? I cannot find any source with states exceptions for numbers or acronyms (e.g., "TAs"). According to all the sources I've seen (or learned from), all of your examples are incorrect.

What's your source? I cannot find any source with states exceptions for numbers or acronyms (e.g., "TAs"). According to all the sources I've seen (or learned from), all of your examples are incorrect.

I have no idea. That's just what I was taught in school (in Canada) so that's always how I have written plurals for #'s and acronyms.

Back