News   Apr 25, 2024
 232     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Spellin' and gramma

Can I go off topic in the grammar thread? My current pet peeve is watching the home shows on HGTV and hearing Americans pronounce "foyer" so that it rhymes with "lawyer". If you wanted to torture me, you could tie me up and make me listen to that for hours.

That must really light your ears on foyer.

Makes you want to foyer those involved.

;)

The only thing I notice is when people use the word "bad" to mean anything other than "evil". It doesn't bother me or anything, it's just something I notice frequently.

Can I go off topic in the grammar thread? My current pet peeve is watching the home shows on HGTV and hearing Americans pronounce "foyer" so that it rhymes with "lawyer". If you wanted to torture me, you could tie me up and make me listen to that for hours.

:D

Resume grammar discussion...

Shouldn't that be "May I go off topic?

Foyer information,

we done need ta get the Queen on down here ta kick're asses for messin' up her, like, language.

We all love to read our Shakespeare, or Milton, or nuanced English that conveys a thought in an intricate, and multi-layered manner. But on a forum where people are coming from so many backgrounds and different ways of thinking and ways of expressing themselves - to say nothing about their state of mind when leaving a comment - maybe there is a lesson to be learned here that will never be fully considered.

When I began to pursue a technical career, I had training in several foreign lands, and I was capable of understanding those languages, but discovered time and again that English was a lingua franca of technical training in many instances: whether it be Italy, Spain, Finland, Japan or Brazil.

The language as used was sometimes poorly executed, but if the mind was brilliant enough, or the subject important enough, you tried to understand and were rewarded in so doing.

I am constantly reminded that some of the greatest people that have ever lived were poor spellers. And of late you will read or hear some of the people educated in the finest schools in the world, using bad grammer, and not just for effect.

While it is a pleasure to read excellent writing with the proper spelling and the proper grammer, it is quality of the thought that is most important to me - and it shall always remain so.

Narrator: In A.D. 2101, war was beginning.
Captain: What happen ?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What!
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It's you!!
CATS: How are you gentlemen!!
CATS: All your base are belong to us.
CATS: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say!!
CATS: You have no chance to survive make your time.
CATS: Ha Ha Ha Ha ....
Operator: Captain!!
Captain: Take off every 'ZIG'!!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move 'ZIG'.
Captain: For great justice.

While it is a pleasure to read excellent writing with the proper spelling and the proper grammer, it is quality of the thought that is most important to me - and it shall always remain so.

Now that you mention it, probably part of the reason people are so respectful here - and tolerant of spelling/grammar mistakes - is that we give the message priority. I can't remember ever seeing anyone criticize quality of writing while completely ignoring content.

On the other hand, when the thoughts are incomplete, illogical, or unclear... that's when poor spelling and grammar can compound the problem of comprehension. (At least one person here has found that out the hard way.)

Spelling and grammar.....

Everyone: I find here that everyone has their pet peeves when it comes to spelling and grammar. One pet peeve example I have is when people say "I live IN Long Island" instead of the proper "ON Long Island." I will reply "in which town?" and the reply will be a town name like Hicksville or Babylon as an example.
That same mistake is also made with people referring to Staten Island (NYC Borough) as an example. That's my two cents here-LI MIKE

Back