Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Watch May Open Door Events, but you will have a real look at Oct Open House for all the new 6 stations.
I know that the open house is coming in May, but what I'm looking for is a sneak peak of the stations during construction (open to the press). I'm sure that there will be extensive coverage of all the stations when the open house happens, but what I want is an EARLY sneak peak.

I know that the open house is coming in May, but what I'm looking for is a sneak peak of the stations during construction (open to the press). I'm sure that there will be extensive coverage of all the stations when the open house happens, but what I want is an EARLY sneak peak.

Unless you are a member of the media you will not get on that sneak peak unfortunately. They did one for the media not too long ago but it was by registration only for media.

Does anyone know what the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station announcement will be when it arrives? I would guess it would be something like:
"Arriving at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station" or "Arriving at Vaughan, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station". Both of theses are extremely long announcements, its even longer than North York Centre Station. No wonder the TTC wanted to shorten it to "Vaughan Centre Station", but Vaughan was like "NAH!".

Not everyone on board for shifting York U GO station to Downsview Park station.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...cluding-extensions.4952/page-651#post-1193598

Nice to hear such convincing arguments for keeping the GO station. So according to one student, "that's going to be a disaster." The subway is "not like GO, it's not rapid, it's not effective, you can't count on it."

And according to the manager of York transportation services, closing the station would add 20 minutes of travel time and encourage people to drive. She also denies Metrolinx statistics that only 225 people use the GO station per day.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

^my first question was how could it possibly take 20 minutes to get from Downsview Park Station to York U station? Isn't that like 2 stops?
Exactly. Subway travel time is 4 minutes. Average wait is 2 minutes.

But I've taken the existing shuttle. It's also about 4-5 minutes. And it waits a couple of minutes before it leaves, waiting for stragglers.

The walk from the new GO platform to the subway at Downsview Park is no more (and probably less if you stand in the right place) than the walk from the current GO Platform to where the shuttle parks.

The only additional time I can think of, is for the train to go an extra 3 km further south. Which can't be more than 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, depending on what part of campus you are going to, you might save time - if your destination is closer to the Pioneer Village station.

I'd think York would be happy to rid themselves of that shuttle.

Though the riders who currently work in the business park might not be happy. Personally, I'd move the station about 300 metres further north (about a platform length) to service Steeles.

I feel like we already had a long, drawn out discussion about the travel time, extra cost and station spacing thing for York somewhere, but I can't find it. But to repeat my previously made points:
  • I agree that the notion this is adding lots of travel time is ridiculous.
  • The time-saving convenience to a few riders travelling between York U and somewhere north on the Barrie line does not trump relocating the stop to Downsview Park (a major destination in itself and a good subway connection for other stops south on the University line), or the extra time cost and ridiculous spacing of keeping the current York U GO open in addition.
  • A stop at Finch is 1.4 km away from Downsview Park. Steeles is another 2km. Putting another stop at either of these locations needs to also be compared to putting one at Highway 7 (another 2.1km away). IMO, Concord would provide a good east-west rapid transit connection, and adding any other stops between it and Downsview Park is completely ridiculous spacing for a heavy rail service.
  • The only outstanding issue should be the additional costs for York U students and staff for having to use the TTC. I think York U needs to stop bitching and look at subsidizing or covering that cost; it should not be up to another agency if they're already providing a shuttle service that they wont have to run anymore.

Back