Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Hopefully many VMC residents will realize that getting off at Downsview (new Downsview) and transferring to the Barrie Go train will get them to Union quicker. Of course there would have to be RER service on the Barrie Line and fare integration between TTC and Go.

That said there is still a significant number of Spadina passengers who are students at U of T and get off at Museum, etc.

pretty nifty but it says it takes 3 mins to get from eglinton west to St claire. I live at Eglinton West and pretty frequently go downtown via TTC (I did today at least) and that ride is always 4 mins at the minimum upwards to 5. Heres my real TTC question why is it that the TTC subway cars leave the stations when they dont know if it is all clear until the next stop. It would be so much better if when there was a delay I was at a station so I could make a exit strategy versus being in the middle of a dark tunnel with no escape plan other then running in the dark and possibly hitting the third rail.
I took video of it once

It would be good if the TTC were to partner up with another social media website, not just Twitter.

What about Facebook logins, Google logins, Reddit logins, or even Wikipedia logins?

Cadillac Fairview from time to time uses social media logins for their WIFI and the default is face book but you can usually also select twitter. Not many use any of the others you listed as Facebook and twitter are the biggest ones.

As an ex-subway driver, I can tell you the length of the trip northbound between St Clair West and Eglinton West can also vary based on the driver. A experienced, bored and speed addicted driver will know which lights in the tunnel will allow them to go faster than the wayside markers tell them to. If memory serves, a driver using all the "cheats" the their max can do that northbound trip almost a minute faster than the sanctioned speed limit. That is, until, in-cab speed control comes down to the Y-U-S.

Hopefully many VMC residents will realize that getting off at Downsview (new Downsview) and transferring to the Barrie Go train will get them to Union quicker. Of course there would have to be RER service on the Barrie Line and fare integration between TTC and Go.

That said there is still a significant number of Spadina passengers who are students at U of T and get off at Museum, etc.

How exciting. A network where we have choice and we're not all riding the spurs downtown. It's coming folks. It's coming.

As an ex-subway driver, I can tell you the length of the trip northbound between St Clair West and Eglinton West can also vary based on the driver. A experienced, bored and speed addicted driver will know which lights in the tunnel will allow them to go faster than the wayside markers tell them to. If memory serves, a driver using all the "cheats" the their max can do that northbound trip almost a minute faster than the sanctioned speed limit. That is, until, in-cab speed control comes down to the Y-U-S.

Playing Russian Roulette with the signals is never wise. In 1995 it was common for operators to go as fast as possible, passing signals as they were clearing. That, among other now corrected things led to the Russell Hill incident.

Just my opinion here but if an operator feels the need to go as fast as possible thereby cheating the signalling systems they should be reprimanded. There are posted limits and signage for a reason and they are not guidelines. I would rather spend an extra few minutes on the subway than end up fused to the ass end of another train. I get that the trip arms would prevent that but even still, pushing the envelope to save a few minutes will if I am not mistaken result in a "vacation" if you end up getting caught.

Cadillac Fairview from time to time uses social media logins for their WIFI and the default is face book but you can usually also select twitter. Not many use any of the others you listed as Facebook and twitter are the biggest ones.
There really needs to be Google logins (especially for Android users, most of whom already sign in to Google anyways). YouTube is a part of Google as well.

Playing Russian Roulette with the signals is never wise. In 1995 it was common for operators to go as fast as possible, passing signals as they were clearing. That, among other now corrected things led to the Russell Hill incident.

Just my opinion here but if an operator feels the need to go as fast as possible thereby cheating the signalling systems they should be reprimanded. There are posted limits and signage for a reason and they are not guidelines. I would rather spend an extra few minutes on the subway than end up fused to the ass end of another train. I get that the trip arms would prevent that but even still, pushing the envelope to save a few minutes will if I am not mistaken result in a "vacation" if you end up getting caught.

Obviously what they're doing is wrong but that's not what I brought it up. I just wanted to let people people know that there are factors besides traffic that affect the travel time between stations.

Firstly, "will get them to Union quicker"--what percentage of users boarding from VMC, 407, Pioneer, York, and Finch W are likely going to Union? If they're going to any station whatsoever other than Union, and that includes any surface/PATH point north of Union or any destinations along the 509/510, the subway would certainly be faster due to not having to walk from the GO train at Union through the station to get back to the TTC station to continue their subway trip (not to mention paying a double TTC fare, on top of the existing TTC/YRT subway and GO train fares!) or to walk north/into the PATH.

Secondly, I don't agree that it would necessarily be faster even heading to Union specifically. This hypothetical rider would be sitting nicely in their seat on the subway, and would have to exit at Downsview Park, go up to concourse level, tap out, go up to the southbound GO side of ground level, tap on, and walk out to the platform, then wait an average 7.5 minutes (0-15 minute range, if on schedule, that being for RER once it goes live in 7 years if we're very very lucky) for a train and have a ~15 minute ride to Union. That compared to staying in their seat and taking a ~30-minute trip to Union. Would GO be faster, all that considered? Also, this rider would have to pay an additional $5.02 GO fare (current Adult Presto fare from York U to Union) on top of the $3.50 YRT+$3.00 TTC fares they'd already paid to travel from VMC to Downsview Park, for a total of $11.52 vs $6.50 for the whole trip--not to mention the likely fare increases to come by then. They'll pay approximately 1.75X as much for a TTC+GO trip vs a TTC trip alone, assuming fares increase in a relatively proportional manner.

Firstly, "will get them to Union quicker"--what percentage of users boarding from VMC, 407, Pioneer, York, and Finch W are likely going to Union? If they're going to any station whatsoever other than Union, and that includes any surface/PATH point north of Union or any destinations along the 509/510, the subway would certainly be faster due to not having to walk from the GO train at Union through the station to get back to the TTC station to continue their subway trip (not to mention paying a double TTC fare, on top of the existing TTC/YRT subway and GO train fares!) or to walk north/into the PATH.

Secondly, I don't agree that it would necessarily be faster even heading to Union specifically. This hypothetical rider would be sitting nicely in their seat on the subway, and would have to exit at Downsview Park, go up to concourse level, tap out, go up to the southbound GO side of ground level, tap on, and walk out to the platform, then wait an average 7.5 minutes (0-15 minute range, if on schedule, that being for RER once it goes live in 7 years if we're very very lucky) for a train and have a ~15 minute ride to Union. That compared to staying in their seat and taking a ~30-minute trip to Union. Would GO be faster, all that considered? Also, this rider would have to pay an additional $5.02 GO fare (current Adult Presto fare from York U to Union) on top of the $3.50 YRT+$3.00 TTC fares they'd already paid to travel from VMC to Downsview Park, for a total of $11.52 vs $6.50 for the whole trip--not to mention the likely fare increases to come by then. They'll pay approximately 1.75X as much for a TTC+GO trip vs a TTC trip alone, assuming fares increase in a relatively proportional manner.

Wait ummm what???

Multiple posts prior to mine discussed the anecdotal experience that most University/Spadina riders are headed to (or close to) Union. That the amount of turnover on that side is far less than on the Yonge side, and that there are fewer destinations for riders on the University/Spadina side. I thought it was clear that my post was referencing the discussed Union bound trips...

Also I qualified my statement about making a connection to GO with a comment about fare integration and RER.

Firstly, "will get them to Union quicker"--what percentage of users boarding from VMC, 407, Pioneer, York, and Finch W are likely going to Union?

I would guess probably 95-100% of the people getting off southbound at Downsview to transfer to the Barrie line are going to Union.

I would guess probably 95-100% of the people getting off southbound at Downsview to transfer to the Barrie line are going to Union.

Pretty much no one will switch from subway to GO for a marginal decrease in travel time (not actual trip time, given the need to wait for trains) and a giant increase in inconvenience - fare integration or not. It simply isn't going to happen unless YUS is messed up.

AoD

Pretty much no one will switch from subway to GO for a marginal decrease in travel time (not actual trip time, given the need to wait for trains) and a giant increase in inconvenience - fare integration or not. It simply isn't going to happen unless YUS is messed up.

AoD
I'd do it if the timing was right since I prefer to be above ground.

Back