Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Agreed 100%

If they're going to go with the bare look. They could've at least done something along the lines of this.

Most-Impressive-Subway-Stations-In-The-World4__880.jpg

Photo: Alexander Dragunov

impressive-metro-subway-underground-stations-101__880.jpg

photo: Jonathan Nackstrand

As in you are privy to some info that it isn't going to happen ever, or as in a pessimistic sentiment that it isn't going to be done on opening day due to current schedule and cost overruns?

Never say never, but I don't think tiling the tunnel walls was ever proposed. That's reflected in the renderings and now the signage on top of bare walls just confirms it. Basically it is just like Sheppard.

AoD

Never say never, but I don't think tiling the tunnel walls was ever proposed. That's reflected in the renderings and now the signage on top of bare walls just confirms it. Basically it is just like Sheppard.

AoD

Maybe at the very least they can polish the concrete so it looks at the very least half decent....

What with the trend away from tiling the walls of newer subway stations (Upper Spadina Line stations completed in 1976 not tiled; Kipling/Kennedy completed in 1980 not tiled; Sheppard Line stations completed in 2002 not tiled; Union Stn reno on the Univeristy Line side not tiled)? Are tiles harder to maintain?

What with the trend away from tiling the walls of newer subway stations (Upper Spadina Line stations completed in 1976 not tiled; Kipling/Kennedy completed in 1980 not tiled; Sheppard Line stations completed in 2002 not tiled; Union Stn reno on the Univeristy Line side not tiled)? Are tiles harder to maintain?

I think it's partly because they have gone to using island platforms only (exceptions in the old Yonge and BD line notwithstanding).

AoD

It's a terrible precedent that started with the Sheppard extension. Even more head-scratching considering the money the TTC put into public art in other areas of the stations.

It really boggles the mind considering this is the part of the station that passengers will see the longest (as they wait for a train).

I wonder if the bare concrete walls are easier to clean brake dust and other stuff off of rather than the titles or panels they have in the rest of the system?

I wonder if the bare concrete walls are easier to clean brake dust and other stuff off of rather than the titles or panels they have in the rest of the system?

I would think it is harder - tiles (except grout) and panels are smooth and can be treated to reduce grime adherence. Not so sure about regular concrete (I mean, just how many cases of good concrete cleaning have we seen - particularly in the context of the TTC?)

re: terrazzo - labour intense to set up - probably even more so than tiling.

AoD

Back