Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

That's confusing though because even though it's technically one line, from a practical standpoint it works as two separate lines.

It does? So how come I don't transfer if I ride from Osgoode to Queen? What's more practical than that?

I mean, when they did the renaming, I could have seen the argument for calling it Line 1 and 2 - or something to differentiate but the reality is quite simply one line and operates at such. Trains go from A to B and go back, on one line. Riders don't transfer, it's contiguous track....there is really no way I can think of in which it works as 2 separate lines with the possible exception of you getting on at Union and contemplating the fact there are 2 trains going north from that point. But the Spadina line was never really a LINE in the way the term is normally used. It's an extension of the Yonge line, that goes around.

Yes, the line is U-shaped and parallel in parts but if I go up in a swing and then go back down it doesn't mean the swing is functioning as 2 separate swings. There are certainly lines in NYC and other places to go in a U-shape or a path that's not a straight line. and if a train goes from Queens to Manhattan to Brooklyn that doesn't mean it PRACTICALLY functions as a train with one line going from Queens to Manhattan and another from Manhattan to Brooklyn. The opposite, actually.

I get the discussion is getting a bit tongue in cheek as we try to kill time, waiting for the TTC to actually finish the darned thing but it's an extension to the Spadina leg of the Line 1 subway so, sure go with WK Lis said :)

Last edited:
Quick drive by shots of 407 and Vaughan Centre stations from today:

IMG_6019.JPG
IMG_6055.JPG
IMG_6057.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6019.JPG
    IMG_6019.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_6055.JPG
    IMG_6055.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_6057.JPG
    IMG_6057.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 894
Ever notice that these suburban city centres, despite claims to want to resemble a real downtown, put prominent infrastructure with large entrance buildings in parklike settings?

how is it in a park like setting? its got a public square behind it.. but that makes sense given its the centrepoint of the downtown. the closest park will be behind the KPMG building, and even that land is temporarily a parking lot for the office building right now. When the subway opens the closest park will be Edgeley Pond over on the east side of Jane.

Ever notice that these suburban city centres, despite claims to want to resemble a real downtown, put prominent infrastructure with large entrance buildings in parklike settings?

When you say "suburban city centres", it's really just Vaughan that I can think of who's doing it this way. But if designed properly, it's not a bad thing for the main transit hub to have a prominent building with a gathering place in front of it, just like with Union station in downtown.

Screen shot 2016-07-28 at 12.24.31 PM.png

Besides, there will still be plenty of development surrounding it.

Screen shot 2016-07-28 at 12.46.19 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-07-28 at 12.25.50 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-07-28 at 12.24.31 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-28 at 12.24.31 PM.png
    807.4 KB · Views: 737
  • Screen shot 2016-07-28 at 12.25.50 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-28 at 12.25.50 PM.png
    772.1 KB · Views: 752
  • Screen shot 2016-07-28 at 12.46.19 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-28 at 12.46.19 PM.png
    380.7 KB · Views: 743
East of Jane certainly will be soon! There is a massive SWM pond that the city is dropping some major capital onto to turn it into a park.. It's supposed to be the focus of the first major residential area of VMC, given that there are 8 towers proposed around it right now.

East of Jane certainly will be soon! There is a massive SWM pond that the city is dropping some major capital onto to turn it into a park.. It's supposed to be the focus of the first major residential area of VMC, given that there are 8 towers proposed around it right now.

This is true. I know they were looking at at naturalizing the creek that flows out of it etc.
Anyway, as others have said, there's nothing wrong with occasionally having prominent, above-ground transit infrastructure as a public gathering spot. What most 905ers are used to is a GO Station, which is a hut in a parking lot. The VMC station still has underground connections but it's also a landmark, as it should be. There's no point making, say, Pioneer Village station some underground bunker like most of the Yonge line, given where it is. The Yonge extension, I expect, will have less remarkable above-ground facilities because the context is different. (It's also worth noting again that the designs are not so different from the flashy-above-ground construction that dominated the original Spadina extension. The main difference is that the new stations aren't perched above highways but it's easy to see the line from Yorkdale and Lawrence West to these stations.)

If transit wasn't so messed up in this area, there would not need to be two bus stations at Pioneer Village station.

Back