Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

^^ Thank you for your support. It gets very frustrating in these forums sometimes.

isaidso:

If you think that the economics and pattern of development Toronto is the same as in China, then you know what, you really need to travel more. Quoting a list of projects in China without a clear understanding of context is quite frankly pointless. In addition almost everything Toronto is likely to build in the next what, 20 years are probably going to look stumpy next to a CN Tower. I have a feeling you will be disappointed for a rather long time.

AoD

Where does it say that I think the economics of China and Toronto are the same? NO WHERE! Lets recount what has actually been said here rather than what some people think is being said:

First, all I've done is state the fact that a sub 250 metre building is going to look like a stump next to a 553 metre building, and someone says I'm crazy. Crazy? I've mentioned nothing about economics, practicality, context, etc. only a very very basic statement about the scale in that area. I'm crazy for pointing that out? This is beyond absurd.

Then, I'm told that I'm living in the wrong century and galaxy. First of all, comments like that belong in juvenile detention school, not here. In producing that list, I'm once again not making any argument about economics, context, practicality, etc. but only making the point that taller buildings aren't science fiction fantasies, but realities of the modern world; nothing more, nothing less. People need to read what's written and stop making assumptions about what they think people are trying to say.

I'm very much aware of the economics of Toronto, Canada, China, and most of the industrialized world. I've studied it for 2 decades and lived all over the world. I'm under no illusions about what Toronto will, or will not build. I'm also very much aware of the dominant established culture in Toronto as it pertains to design aesthetics, urban planning, and architecture.

People really need to not let their noses get so out of joint if anyone dares point out that there are other ways of doing things. There isn't just one right way. There seems to be a knee jerk insulting and condescending tone prevalent to any views that don't conform to accepted approaches.

I have a number of close friends in the urban planning/architecture/development field and they all say the same thing. Rigid conservatism isn't as prevalent in Toronto as it used to be, but it's still advisable to keep your mouth shut. You'll just get insulted, talked down to, lose a promotion, and end up covered in sh*t.

Disappointed for a long time? Why are you assuming that I'm blind to the realities of Toronto and ignorant of the culture here? If anything, I have a healthy perspective of both the realities here, and overseas. I'm only going to be disappointed in Toronto, if I was living in that other galaxy that 'maestro' so rudely told me I was living in.

Last edited:
isaidso:

I think everybody here knows about what's going on around the world and realize that they aren't "science fiction fantasies" - but supertalls are context dependent and providing us a list of them in China as a response to what's happening in Toronto, specifically this site is patently pointless. Of course there are ways of doing things differently - but one has to ask the question, in a Toronto-centric forum, whether a 250m is a really a "stump".

I am not assuming you are blind to realities of Toronto - I am just reminding everyone not to get ahead of themselves and expect a Chinese-styled supertall. And no, 350m at Y+B is unrealistic when even a 300m project can't even get off the ground properly. Now would I like to eat my words someday? Of course.

AoD

Last edited:
Everything is relative. A building under 250 m looking stumpy next to one that's 553 m is merely stating fact. I'm not sure how you can argue anything else. Courtesy of caltrane over at SSP:

1. Shanghi Tower - 632 meters (*wtf?*)
2. China Tower 117 (Tainjin) - 597 meters (taller than CN Tower)
3. ICC - 484 Meters (Hong Kong)
4 Nanjin GFC - 450 Meters
5. Guangzhou IFC - 440 Meters
6. Kingkey FCP - 439 Meters
7. Forum 66 - 388 Meters
8. Pinnacle - 360 Meters
9. Sino Steel - 358 Meters (Tanjin)
10.Gezhouba - 350 Meters

Better tell 1 billion Chinese people that not only are they living in the wrong century and galaxy, they're living in another space time continuum. Perhaps, you need to travel the world a bit more before it passes you by. A 350 metre tower might boggle your mind, but it's hardly an uncommon sight around the world. Did you fall asleep for a decade and just wake up?

You gotta be yanking our chain. The CN tower is so out of context to compare it to this tower is implying the entire city is stumpy.

So there are over a billion people in China and about 25 supertall highrises out of 100,000 plus. What's your point? Supertalls are hardly commonplace in heavily populated China either.

No point in continuing as our vision for Toronto couldn't be more opposite. I favour East Bayfront/West Donlands and you desire the Dubai Marina.

And remember, too, it isn't just a matter of such supertall urbanism being regarded as "science fiction". It's also, given where it's being generated an all, got a bit of an "Engrish" reputation. Like, a hyperactive cartoon-version extension of c20 Skyscrapin' North Americana.

If one is up to this kind of supertall advocacy, one might as well up to dredging up old Metro Centre-esque fantasies of razing Union Station for something worthy of the 21st century, so to speak...

People are speaking like 350 metres is a virtual impossibility in Toronto within the next couple decades, but I don't see why that must be the case.

200+ metres is steadily becoming commonplace in this city, and as time goes by, downtown land will become more scarce, the city's population will continue to climb ever higher, and building methods will become more advanced (hence cheaper). Eventually it will make economic sense. Hell, if it weren't for the unexpected collapse of Lehman Brothers - which was unrelated to our local economy - there'd be an almost 300m tower going up right now, which is amazing for a city of our size.

We don't need to look at China, but our own forebearers in North America. Both Chicago and New York have constructed or are constructing ~350+ metre towers in this most recent cycle, which is unsurprising given their massive size. I see it as an inevitability - the only question is how long will it take.

Last edited:
There aren't exactly loads of 350+ metre towers in New York or Chicago either. Nor are there many in Paris or London - which are arguably major global centres.

-I don't see anyone suggesting 350 metres as being virtually impossible in Toronto

-The reverse is just as likely that buildings will become more expensive to build as they become more complex with the latest features & gadgets.

- Both New York and Chicago are alpha cities in a country of 300 million. One's also centred on an island while the other is zoned as if it's on an island. By this I mean you won't see 50 metre buildings built outside Chicago core as is commonplace Toronto. It just makes Chicago's downtown even more valuable and open to supertalls. Still, They've only managed to complete five of a 50 real proposals.

People are speaking like 350 metres is a virtual impossibility in Toronto within the next couple decades, but I don't see why that must be the case.

Both Chicago and New York have constructed or are constructing ~350+ metre towers in this most recent cycle, which is unsurprising given their massive size. I see it as an inevitability - the only question is how long will it take.

Even London England as conservative as it has been regarding tall buildings has 2 structures over 300 meters going up.

-I don't see anyone suggesting 350 metres as being virtually impossible in Toronto

-The reverse is just as likely that buildings will become more expensive to build as they become more complex with the latest features & gadgets.

- Both New York and Chicago are alpha cities in a country of 300 million. One's also centred on an island while the other is zoned as if it's on an island. By this I mean you won't see 50 metre buildings built outside Chicago core as is commonplace Toronto. It just makes Chicago's downtown even more valuable and open to supertalls. Still, They've only managed to complete five of a 50 real proposals.

Our economy is incredibly large, despite our inferiority complex. Our stock exchange is among the largest, and we are growing among the fastest in the world.

If Australia (Melbourne/Gold Coast) have the economy to support supertalls, why can't we?

Who says 'supertalls' have anything to do with being a great city or a decent place to live. In fact, one could argue that the best cities in the world hardly have any 'supertalls' at all.

If Australia (Melbourne/Gold Coast) have the economy to support supertalls, why can't we?

Obviously, there's a dick measuring side to building supertall.

Melbourne doesn't have a supertall and Gold Coast's is supported by a huge 300 foot spire/crown . Also to keep in mind Australia's real estate has been around 1.5 to 2 times as expensive as ours and Surfer's Paradise is a built out narrow ribbon of land that can only expand upwards.

Who says 'supertalls' have anything to do with being a great city or a decent place to live. In fact, one could argue that the best cities in the world hardly have any 'supertalls' at all.

Generally I agree with this. I'd rather have a core packed full of 200-250 metre beauties than a small hand full of supertalls.

With the Royal York being "hidden" from the traditional skyline shots of the city they have lost that signature look in Toronto.
They may try to reclaim a significant spot here... so I hope they go tall, with a signature design too. :)

Im even more excited of Fairmont setting up shop at this location after reading this article.:)

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts to Open Seven New Hotels in 2010

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/fairmont-hotels-amp-resorts-to,1116448.shtml

Last edited:

Back