Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

I can understand criticism of the architecture in this area but it looks nothing like any mid-sized American city I've ever seen. Which one specifically does Southcore look like??

I think Southcore looks more like an Asian city than any American city. Most mid-sized American cities don't have these types of large districts with modern glass towers. There's a desperate need for some variety down here though, which we've been through quite a bit already in this thread.

I can understand criticism of the architecture in this area but it looks nothing like any mid-sized American city I've ever seen. Which one specifically does Southcore look like??

Dallas, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Omaha... not the historic buildings but just the big/broad streets (the tops of these skyscrapers are often different) but the street view/experience to me just seems like anytown America.

Dallas, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Omaha... not the historic buildings but just the big/broad streets (the tops of these skyscrapers are often different) but the street view/experience to me just seems like anytown America.

The downtowns of those cities are loaded with surface level parking lots and empty, windswept plazas. They don't do tightly packed offices and condos, side by side. It's a completely different look and feel. Pedestrian friendly most of those places are not.

A few years ago I did a 1 month road trip from Milwaukee, all the way down to New Orleans, around to Florida and back up through Georgia. I stopped in all the major cities of central and eastern USA. Once you have seen all those Mid-West and Southern cities, you realize they are quite different then anything you will find up here, especially Southcore. American's love their wide open spaces and parking lots everywhere.

Southcore is pretty much the opposite of that.

American's love their wide open spaces and parking lots everywhere.

Southcore is now pretty much the opposite of that.

I fixed your sentence for you ;) Seeing as these buildings are VERY new and until then there were huge expanses of parking lots and open spaces.

I fixed your sentence for you ;) Seeing as these buildings are VERY new and until then there were huge expanses of parking lots and open spaces.

There still are a few big parking lots, like the one just east of ACC. These are marked for development, but if you go a bit further east, even more large parking lots.

They are rapidly disappearing for sure, but still a bunch of them left, which you can see on Google maps.

Architecturally mid-sized American cities tend to be more architecturally diverse, and often with a heavy dose of PoMo. Definitely not Southcore that way.

AoD

Jan 17
More up on Site

Love the wood. Need a card to use the elevators to get the floors and no view. The new walkway in service and can get some view from it.
15695231043_67e67d0d6d_b.jpg

16127564728_78d0cd3211_b.jpg

16313325711_60201480ba_b.jpg

16314255092_4709d57b60_b.jpg

16313327451_86bcfe1b34_b.jpg

16127735850_e66989b8b2_b.jpg

16127553128_e11d2a9fd0_b.jpg

16289165006_2dce08875a_b.jpg

16128927469_ce46381282_b.jpg

The lobby looks almost plain in pictures, but quite pleasant in real life.

I made the walk from Union to SFC, and then down to WPPIII/RBC. Quite pleasant, albeit confusing path. There's minimal direction/indication where to go from ACC to RBC, but going for Maple Leaf Square will lead you there.

The downtowns of those cities are loaded with surface level parking lots and empty, windswept plazas. They don't do tightly packed offices and condos, side by side. It's a completely different look and feel. Pedestrian friendly most of those places are not.

A few years ago I did a 1 month road trip from Milwaukee, all the way down to New Orleans, around to Florida and back up through Georgia. I stopped in all the major cities of central and eastern USA. Once you have seen all those Mid-West and Southern cities, you realize they are quite different then anything you will find up here, especially Southcore. American's love their wide open spaces and parking lots everywhere.

Southcore is pretty much the opposite of that.

I've been meaning to do a heartland drive for some time. Any cities that resonated with you?

I hope Marriott doesn't mess with the Delta brand and leaves it intact. I think it's far nicer than the vibe/design of Marriott's marketing/brand.

Back