News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 318     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 875     0 

Solar Panels on Skyscrapers in Toronto?

The best panels are only 15% efficient.
Their efficiency goes down as their temperature rises.
Panels in shade have to be electrically isolated from the rest.
This makes the current situation not very attractive.

Its time Toronto gets into the game..instead of the same square look-a-like boring office buildings.

Pittsburgh Set For New Greenscraper

As well as helping the climate during construction when complete the tower will be the greenest skyscraper in the world thanks to the use of solar panels, geothermal systems and other alternative power generation sources for the tower, the towers orientation will also ensure that the interior will gain the most sunlight possible reducing the need for artificial lights during the day and as the building will not be square to the street like every other tower it also ser4ves to help it stand out on the skyline.

More....http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2857

The best panels are only 15% efficient.
Their efficiency goes down as their temperature rises.
Panels in shade have to be electrically isolated from the rest.
This makes the current situation not very attractive.

15% in germany.. Applications here have only reached a highest operational efficiency of 12% via the North House Project.

PV isn't as effective in Northern Climates as Solar Thermal.

I'm reviving this thread rather than starting a new one, to note an item of interest.

Looking at some lobbying on behalf of Tenblock......

They continue to do interesting things.

They either own or manage 1154 Wilson, an older hirise apartment block.

Their lobbyist is charged with giving some profile to the fact that the new balcony panels being installed are voltaic.

1692798524103.png

I think that's the first I've heard of doing retrofit of this type in Toronto, at scale; but perhaps others here know of additional/prior locations.

This is the building in question (from 2018 streetview)

1692798620078.png

Back