News   Apr 16, 2024
 159     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

Sobeys

This afternoon, at least 20 people were waiting in line. I turned right back out and went to Metro, where there were twice as many cashiers and a completely redone produce section (coincidence? I think not).

Well, partial coincidence. Metro is re-doing its produce dept. in ALL its stores this year. In fact, most are now done. They're adding additional product, beefing up organic and using those new dark-stained shelving treatments.

Where I think Metro has made a big mistake is taking out all its butcher counters. It never did do them correctly as they haven't worked out well; but there's no reason they couldn't. They just have to actually staff them (all the time) and merchandise them properly.

The new MLG store for Loblaws....as I hear it, 9 fully trained chefs, led by an Exec. Chef, and 3 scratch-bakers; they will be pouring on the pressure on other downtown markets.

I stopped there this morning to pick up breakfast items, and it is very nice and quite large. I didn't have much time to check the selection, but they really don't have enough checkout lines... I'm consistently amazed at how little attention is paid to basic customer service these days.

I work in the building and go there quite often :) They don't have many checkout lines but they move really fast!!

Sobeys (Yonge and Breadalbane) is closing

I emailed them, and just received this reply...

Sobeys wrote: "Following an extensive and careful review of our operations, we’ve made the decision to close our Yonge Street Sobeys Express store effective April 13th, 2013."

I emailed them, and just received this reply...

Sobeys wrote: "Following an extensive and careful review of our operations, we’ve made the decision to close our Yonge Street Sobeys Express store effective April 13th, 2013."

Their Front Street store is also not doing too well and I would not be amazed if they walked away when their 5 (or 7?) year lease expires. Of course the Front Street site is up for redevelopment and that might get them moving sooner. The No Frills across the street really cut the number of customers and their hours keep being reduced.

Is this really a shocker? I live off Maitland Street, and even though it's the closest, grocery store, I'd much rather make the trip to Loblaws. I went in a week ago to use a Sobey's gift card. The bakery and deli wasn't even active, and there was no more than two customers in the store. The fact that the store is cramped, and how expensive Sobey's is doesn't make it any better. I won't miss it.

That Sobey's was a nice addition when it first opened up. Some of the ready-made stuff was really good and it was convenient to have a grocery store between College and Bloor. But now they've upgraded the place in the Manulife Centre, there's the Longo's at HBC, there's a full-service Sobey's at college Park, and with the Loblaws at MLG that silly little Sobey's Express really serves no purpose. It is a big space tho, so hopefully something interesting replaces it.

I am waiting for teh Metro at GOuld and Church to go under. The place is always deserted and they have almost not staff on. It used to be packed but has been in decline for a few years now.

I went int the Sobeys that is closing today and they literally have only a few shelves of items left but all at 30% off. Of course most of what is there has been picked over already.

I am waiting for teh Metro at GOuld and Church to go under. The place is always deserted and they have almost not staff on. It used to be packed but has been in decline for a few years now.

I went int the Sobeys that is closing today and they literally have only a few shelves of items left but all at 30% off. Of course most of what is there has been picked over already.

You're telling me. Try being a Ryerson student getting lunch their on break. There's only one cashier open half the time.

That's just Metro being cheap. They've been that way forever at any Metro I go to. They have the worst customer service at any grocery store I've been to.

Who's a coming?

If it stays a grocery store, Longo's would be a nice addition. They seem to be better able to work with small spaces.

Back