News   Apr 23, 2024
 56     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 828     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 284     0 

smart upgrades on house

I hate to hijack a thread, but new members aren't allowed to start new ones, so hopefully this will be relevant enough to the topic.

So we're finally in a good place to take advantage of the insane prices of houses right now and are going to be selling soon. To prepare for the sale, we're going to change the carpets and have the entire house painted.
We've also spent a month cleaning out the junk that's accumulated in our basement over the years. We eventually had to resort to booking a local Toronto dumpster rental to take away all the garbage that was down there. There's still some heavy gym equipment, like an elliptical and a universal gym as well as some larger furniture we want to keep.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to have contractors work on one side of the basement at a time, so we don't have to move all that heavy stuff upstairs? If so, is there a ballpark additional cost we can expect for this?

The second question is the more important one. Should we even bother renovating the basement? What kind of return can we expect in today's market if we do?

Thanks

I hate to hijack a thread, but new members aren't allowed to start new ones, so hopefully this will be relevant enough to the topic.

So we're finally in a good place to take advantage of the insane prices of houses right now and are going to be selling soon. To prepare for the sale, we're going to change the carpets and have the entire house painted.
We've also spent a month cleaning out the junk that's accumulated in our basement over the years. We eventually had to resort to booking a local Toronto dumpster rental to take away all the garbage that was down there. There's still some heavy gym equipment, like an elliptical and a universal gym as well as some larger furniture we want to keep.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to have contractors work on one side of the basement at a time, so we don't have to move all that heavy stuff upstairs? If so, is there a ballpark additional cost we can expect for this?

The second question is the more important one. Should we even bother renovating the basement? What kind of return can we expect in today's market if we do?

Thanks

how big is your house ( sq ft/ # bedrooms/baths ) without renovating the basement?

i don't think it's necessary unless you're currently tight for space so renovating the basement gives more finished area.

you may/may not get your money back if it's a poor reno in terms of quality or style.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm leaning towards not finishing it either. Even if we did get back a little bit, I'm not sure it's worth the time and effort.

Our house is a decent size - about 2800 square feet.

Back