SkyTran - The Future Of Travel

Discussion in 'Transportation & Infrastructure' started by M II A II R II K, Feb 15, 2010.

1. M II A II R II K

M II A II R II K Senior Member

SkyTran - The Future Of Travel

[​IMG]

Read More: http://www.skytran.net/phpsite/home/Home Intro.php

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. noctis

noctis Active Member

hmm...i duno...it looks alright to me, but i dun think toronto will have this kind of stuff anytime soon...i mean if this was to be built near the downtown area, i think it would be too complicated...unless you build one long track running from uptown to downtown...then there's a possibility.

3. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Senior Member

Could see this being built on an expirmental basis,though, on a touristy stretch....say from that new south door of Union (by Telus and ACC) along Bremnar...across Bathurst onto Fort York then on into the Ex......think of it, it passes, the CN Tower, the Convention Centre, Steam Whistle Park, the proposed new aquariam, Rogers Centre, then goes to Fort York, The Ex, Ontario Place BMO Field, Ricoh...maybe even pay for it via a small surcharge on tickets to venues/attractions that it serves.

4. dunkalunk

dunkalunk Senior Member

Wow, a public semi-enclosed gondola. It's like a taxi cab without driver supervision! And it has tinted windows? Amazing! I just wouldn't want to be the one who has to clean these things out at the end of the day.

The actual construction of this type of system would have the same type of arguments that any PRT would have, namely is the capital investment worth it for the number of people moved?

Just for clarification, is this essentially a high-speed gondola? I didn't exactly catch the method of propulsion in the description. "no engine" could mean either a) electric motor or b) track propelled

5. kettal

kettal Banned

We've been over these schemes many times here. Bottom line is, if some billionaire wants to build it somewhere, fine, but I don't want a cent of my money going to a pointless experiment like this, when traditional mass transit already works.

6. Ervin

Ervin Active Member

The only way this would become more effective than traditional mass transit is if a network of these was built all across the city so people could use this to get from anywhere to anywhere with little supplemented walking. But such a network would be ridiculously expensive to build, be expensive for the riders, and would be a massive legal headache, and is generally really unattractive. In the end this is nothing more than a computer operated car on rails.

7. noctis

noctis Active Member

yea i think it will be more fit if it was targeted at the tourists. instead of walking around the whole park (CNE for example), tourists can take the sky tran and just go around without having to walk all the way...

8. Tulse

Tulse Senior Member

What capacity can such a system have? This seems far more cute than practical -- it certainly isn't going to handle the nearly 1 million daily trips of the Toronto subway.

9. Earlscourt_Lad

Earlscourt_Lad Active Member

Lyle Lanley would just love this.

10. grey

grey Senior Member

Is there a chance the track could bend?

11. Earlscourt_Lad

Earlscourt_Lad Active Member

not your life my Hindu friend

12. DavidH

DavidH Active Member

I hear those things are awfully loud...

13. Toronto1

Toronto1 Active Member

As illustrated, SkyTran doesn't even meet most jurisdictions' standards for accessibility, although I am certain it is an innocent oversight.

14. JWBF

JWBF Senior Member

I agree, this would be a great avenue, so to speak, for tourists to see the downtown core.

15. Darwinkgo

Darwinkgo Active Member

We will have driverless taxis years before any system like this actually gets operational at any scale. Hopefully then the PRT industry will stop flogging there wears and wasting investor money.