News   Apr 19, 2024
 593     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 997     3 

Shoppes on Steeles (Bayview Dev. Summit, 7 bldgs to 32s) DORMANT

Chuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
Big plans for the Shoppes on Steeles Mall, situated at the northeast corner of Don Mills and Steeles in Thornhill. If approved, it would strengthen the case for a Don Mills LRT. Could also see the first 30+ storey building in York Region.

Urban village to replace mall

Business
Thornhill Liberal
Nov 01, 2007 03:35 AM

By: David Fleischer, Staff Writer
by David Fleischer
Staff Writer
It has been a landmark for 30 years, but The Shoppes on Steeles and 404 mall could have a very different future ahead of it.

Bayview Development Summit Ltd. unveiled plans to replace the Thornhill shopping centre with a “self-contained urban villageâ€, called Markhamgate Summit.

The $350-million proposal, still awaiting town approval, calls for redevelopment of the entire 18- acre site, except for the Esso station on the west side.

Seven buildings with 2,000 condominium units housing approximately 5,200 residents are proposed.

One of the buildings on Don Mills Road just north of Steeles Avenue would be 10-storeys tall, with others ranging up to 32 stories along Steeles.

There will also be more than 200,000 square feet of retail and office space.

If all goes according to plan, tenants could be move in by 2012, with the entire redevelopment complete in 10 years.

But construction won’t start until at least 2010 on the mixed-use neighbourhood, dubbed a “lifestyle shopping centreâ€, with a pedestrian-friendly main street.

“For at least the next three years, it will be business as usual,†marketing director Kris Kellestine said.

Originally opened as Markham Place, the centre recently celebrated its 30th anniversary.

Tenants were only notified last week and, “They’ve been absolutely fabulous. We’re hoping to carry everyone with us,†she said.

Several tenants have been there since the mall opened and so far they are taking a wait-and-see attitude.

“I don’t like to be too concerned too far in advance,†said The Trend Shoppe’s owner Jack Ladowsky.

He said protests when the mall was being built led to it being downsized. Once it was open, however, it became obvious a bigger shopping centre would have worked better on the site which he described as the best geographic location in the GTA, next to Yorkdale Shopping Centre.

While traffic at the mall has never been in Yorkdale’s league, Mr. Ladowsky said his store has built up a wonderful clientele and they would like to stay, depending how things unfold.

“On paper, it looks like a nice development,†he said. “It may be right for the area.â€

Folino’s Hair Design and TD Canada Trust are original tenants as is the Sears Outlet, which was once a full-service department store.

Bayview Summit’s planning report notes the mall faces stiff competition and needs to accommodate mixed uses to remain viable.

The plan also points out how intensifying development gels with the province’s Places to Grow plan, which asks Markham and other municipalities to direct 40 per cent of all new growth to existing sites, rather than sprawling further outwards.

Councillor Erin Shapero said that while Places to Grow endorses intensification, that does not mean it should go everywhere.

“With a proposal of this size and scale there are so many factors to consider.â€

She said she hopes the public process will be more extensive than for a typical development proposal.

Because an official plan amendment would be required there will be many meetings and reports in the coming months and years.

Her own priority is to ensure that the needs of the existing community are balanced with development on the site.

The site is served by TTC and York Region Transit. The province’s Move2020 plan includes upgrading the Don Mills bus line to a rapid transit line, improving access to the Sheppard and Bloor subway lines.

Ms Kellestine said there should also be less need for residents to drive since everything from grocery shopping to cafes will be part of the development.

An information booth is now open outside the Food Basics and you can visit www.markhamgatesummit.com for further details.

A Yorkdale type of mall would have been successful. I'm not a fan of this mall, it's halfway between a mall and a strip plaza. This'll improve it.

2000 unit complexes are almost commonplace these days......build the DRL!

I'm not sure how it'd work with a 'Yorkdale' here only two interchanges from Fairview down the 404. I love how they claim this is the 2nd best location in the city...

I guess this is the future of typical malls, especially the small ones like Don Mills Centre. All of these pedestrian zones are dubious since they're out in the middle of suburbia, but there will be over 10,000 people living within a block, so it's certainly not doomed, especially if Don Mills get a transit line.

I'm not sure if a Yorkdale type development would have worked here. Fairview isn't that far, and closing in the market area are Promenade, Hillcrest, Markville and STC, none of which are that high-end.

Steeles will be one bumper-to-bumper mess with all the development on it from Markham Road to Don Mills, and Markham dumping more traffic on it. DRL? Hell, yeah!

This is a horrible little mall, with little foot traffic and run-down stores. Heck, even McDonalds recently pulled out. Interestingly though, that area of Steeles can be quite bad traffic-wise and I can only imagine the area with added density.

Markhamgate Summit is a ridiculously long a name and I submit Margatesmut in its place. At least that's what I think all the 'Life Square'ies will call it.

How will a DRL help with traffic on Steeles and Don Mills? Most people visiting the mall will do so by car from the north, east and west.

Because there won't be a "mall" anymore.
In theory, residents will be able to live/shop there and hop on the LRT to go work in Toronto. In theory.

I'm not 100% sure on the scale of the thing but certainly the site, in all respects, is primed for re-development along these lines.

And it wasn't the mall saying it's such a great location, it's one of the store owners. Given the low traffic in this mall any original tenants must be doing something right to have stayed open for 30 years.

It's a bit interesting too because they seem to have been doing better since opening the pad stores/restos. Congee Queen just opened and I think a Wimpy's Diner is set to open soon - and then it will all be gone.

It's a bit interesting too because they seem to have been doing better since opening the pad stores/restos. Congee Queen just opened and I think a Wimpy's Diner is set to open soon - and then it will all be gone.

Congee Queen opened where East Side Mario's was. ESM didn't last long there, maybe a year or so.

How twee. Margatesmut: Village By The Overpass

Maybe it's not a bad thing, per se, but putting a bunch of slab towers by the highway and calling it an "urban village" is a triumph of branding, not design.

Look at the area on Google maps and take a look at the street grid in the surrounding area. You'll notice that there isn't one: we're in cul-de-sac territory here. In other words, this thing is going to stick out like a sore thumb, without much potential to have a positive effect on the neighborhood.

Steeles will be one bumper-to-bumper mess with all the development on it from Markham Road to Don Mills, and Markham dumping more traffic on it. DRL? Hell, yeah!

Traffic on Steeles has actually gotten better in the past few years after McNicoll and the 407 opened.

McNicoll opened between Kennedy & Midland in 1995...it also used to be 2 lanes. Add in the 407 and a new signalized intersection at Pacific Mall, and traffic has gotten about 50% better.

Funny how nobody's mentioned that there's a precedent for such mall redevelopment here in the Markham panhandle: Thornhill Square...

Yeah, that Don Mills + Steeles thing is weird. I don't even know whether I've ever been inside; but from the outside, it's always seemed like the most spectral 70s mall around...

Funny how nobody's mentioned that there's a precedent for such mall redevelopment here in the Markham panhandle: Thornhill Square...

Yeah, that Don Mills + Steeles thing is weird. I don't even know whether I've ever been inside; but from the outside, it's always seemed like the most spectral 70s mall around...

It's a much bigger re-development than Thornhill Square.
The mall itself is probably comparable in that neither was ever booming (TH Square was doing okay, I guess, when the movie theatres were open). Both have long been low-traffic, kinda sad malls with a few good, tenacious tenants.

Back