News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Overtaking a stopped bus on a bicycle is not a safe manoeuvre by any stretch of the imagination, mostly because of the blind spots on the bus.

It depends. You can kind of predict the dwell time of the bus if you see it pull over and if you do a shoulder check, it's not hard to pass.

Simply a lovely ride into work this morning (in spite of the snow). The Sherbourne and Richmond bike lanes are clear of snow and well salted.

Every morning I see the same cyclist coming east along Adelaide or Shuter, then hanging a left to go north on Sherbourne. Let me paint a picture: heavyset build, $2000 Dutch cargo bike with a ~5 year old child in it, lime green helmet w/ GoPro cam, and that air of righteous indignation that only a truly committed cyclo-warrior can muster. Nearly every day I watch this person have a confrontation with another cyclist, motorist, or pedestrian. This morning I saw them yelling like a maniac at a car crossing the bike lane at Sherbourne & Britian St. Has anyone else taken notice of this particular fellow traveler? I wonder what their story is.

To be fair, he does know the rules and yes, he does encounter a lot of terrible road user behaviour.

It depends. You can kind of predict the dwell time of the bus if you see it pull over and if you do a shoulder check, it's not hard to pass.
Very true. I usually just check how many people are getting on the bus. If it's only one person, I'll just wait behind the bus. If I see a crowd of people, I'll shoulder check and then pass the bus since I know it's going to be waiting there for a while.

To be fair, he does know the rules and yes, he does encounter a lot of terrible road user behaviour.

Just checked out his youtube page - he sure does see a lot. I've wondered if those wearing camera somehow run into more "trouble" on their commutes. This confirms it!

Related to separated lanes: there's a sign on Adelaide between Church and Jarvis that says "Cyclists Dismount", but I am not sure why. Any insight?

Just checked out his youtube page - he sure does see a lot. I've wondered if those wearing camera somehow run into more "trouble" on their commutes. This confirms it!

Related to separated lanes: there's a sign on Adelaide between Church and Jarvis that says "Cyclists Dismount", but I am not sure why. Any insight?

I don't think there's a correlation between running a camera while cycling and encountering problems with other road users, because:

1. Cyclists who don't have a camera might encounter 'trouble' but you don't get to see it or hear about it (same with drivers without dashcams)

2. I use a camera too and record every single commute. The VAST majority of rides are uneventful (as they should be!) and the few noteworthy incidents are minor instances of carelessness.

PedalPapa might encounter more and bigger jerks or it might just be that his responses are different though.

The dismount sign might have something to do with roadworks around Jarvis (water pipes?) reducing the number of lanes available to cars.

From what I've heard, some cyclists start wearing cameras BECAUSE they run into issues and they want to be able to record them, so there might be a correlation from that angle, but using the example of one person wearing a camera who appears to have regular issues doesn't mean that wearing a camera causes the cyclist to run into more issues. That's a pretty big leap.

That said, "pedalpapa" is quite active in the cycling advocacy community and does report a lot of incidents. Whenever I ride, something happens. Most things are annoyances and fairly minor, and I'm not going to escalate every one. It's easier to take evasive action on a traditional bike, however, than it is to do so while riding a cargo bike with a child in it. I do wonder about the child, though -- she is growing up hearing a lot of hollering between her father and car drivers.

Something happens almost every time I bike, true, but so does something happen if you were to drive. It's just part of being in the city, people cut each other off, etc. I get used to it.

The only part that really frustrates me is when people do something that is easily avoidable, or is not easily evaded. Park in the counter flow lane? Screw you. I gotta go into oncoming traffic to go around you. Park in a regular bike lane? Sure, I'd prefer you not be there, but it isn't the end of the world to switch lanes and go around.

Yelling is almost never needed.

From what I've heard, some cyclists start wearing cameras BECAUSE they run into issues and they want to be able to record them, so there might be a correlation from that angle, but using the example of one person wearing a camera who appears to have regular issues doesn't mean that wearing a camera causes the cyclist to run into more issues. That's a pretty big leap.

That said, "pedalpapa" is quite active in the cycling advocacy community and does report a lot of incidents. Whenever I ride, something happens. Most things are annoyances and fairly minor, and I'm not going to escalate every one. It's easier to take evasive action on a traditional bike, however, than it is to do so while riding a cargo bike with a child in it. I do wonder about the child, though -- she is growing up hearing a lot of hollering between her father and car drivers.

She seems pretty well adjusted - another way of looking at it is that she's learning about assertiveness ...

Yelling is almost never needed.

Agree - my concern is that at a certain point it becomes counterproductive (reinforcing to drivers that cyclists are fundamentally lunatics).

That said there are a lot of different cyclists and styles...those who overtake busses and those who don't...young & old...fast and slow...and to each their own.

As a cyclist, I can confirm that some cyclists are indeed lunatics. As are some drivers and some pedestrians.
To some extent. However I've never witnessed an automobile simply blatantly drive through (not turn) on a red light WHILE shouting at the pedestrians crossing on green to get out of their way ... or drive down the sidewalk while shouting at the pedestrians.

We use the term lunatic loosely - but in the case of cyclists - there seem to be more out there where it can be taken literally.

We use the term lunatic loosely - but in the case of cyclists - there seem to be more out there where it can be taken literally.

The funny part is, a shouting scofflaw (like you describe) or an assertive-obessive rule-follower (like perhaps @pedalpapa) can both end up looking rather alike...

The funny part is, a shouting scofflaw (like you describe) or an assertive-obessive rule-follower (like perhaps @pedalpapa) can both end up looking rather alike...
I have seen many of @pedalpapa's tweets....only actually seen @pedalpapa once in person during my days....based on that one time I would have a hard time using the term "obsessive rule-follower" as a descriptor. That one time, I gasped out of concern for the child and it was 100% due to the person peddling. ;)

Not when you have to jump out of their way, when you are crossing on a walk symbol.

I suspect I'd be too close to @pedalpapa in defending my right to be in my lane - which is the reason to protect my safety - I walk. :)

Back