News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 560     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 849     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Only from Shaw to Avenue? Sigh...we really are incapable of implementing bold civic vision in this city. They should go from Kipling to Kennedy and beyond...

Speaking of ambition, London plans to build an 18 mile long separated bike lane.

a9e6791a-b593-46b0-8355-e5ad3da98e9f-2060x1236.jpeg
c0d8790f-dead-45c8-8cf5-84e382dca79a-2060x1236.jpeg
c4e55dec-4e0a-431c-b961-7340bfe45a4c-2060x1236.jpeg

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...way-may-inspire-similar-schemes-across-the-uk

Attachments

• a9e6791a-b593-46b0-8355-e5ad3da98e9f-2060x1236.jpeg
    a9e6791a-b593-46b0-8355-e5ad3da98e9f-2060x1236.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 558
  • c0d8790f-dead-45c8-8cf5-84e382dca79a-2060x1236.jpeg
    c0d8790f-dead-45c8-8cf5-84e382dca79a-2060x1236.jpeg
    920.2 KB · Views: 626
  • c4e55dec-4e0a-431c-b961-7340bfe45a4c-2060x1236.jpeg
    c4e55dec-4e0a-431c-b961-7340bfe45a4c-2060x1236.jpeg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 621
Question to those who understand the MTO rules and regs for bikes... The Express buses that have to berth onto the bike lanes (as the stops are on the right side) are usually cut off by cyclists and have to wait until a gap opens (which can be a while given the heavy bike traffic).

As there are laws to yield to buses for cars, I assume the same applies to bikes?

Question to those who understand the MTO rules and regs for bikes... The Express buses that have to berth onto the bike lanes (as the stops are on the right side) are usually cut off by cyclists and have to wait until a gap opens (which can be a while given the heavy bike traffic).

As there are laws to yield to buses for cars, I assume the same applies to bikes?
What they need are stops similar to Sherbourne where the passengers boarding essentially create the cap, by walking into the bike lane forcing bikes to stop.

Or they need to crack down on cyclists and issue hefty fines. A dog died last week on the MGT at Humber Bay. These are shared paths with heavy pedestrian traffic. You can't ride along at 30km/h+

Or they need to crack down on cyclists and issue hefty fines. A dog died last week on the MGT at Humber Bay. These are shared paths with heavy pedestrian traffic. You can't ride along at 30km/h+

Agreed about the speed issue, but unless you're talking about the Humber bridge itself, the MGT, which runs east from the Humber, is for bikes, runners and rollerbladers. Walkers and dogs should be using the Sunnyside boardwalk. Was this near the dog park there?

Agreed about the speed issue, but unless you're talking about the Humber bridge itself, the MGT, which runs east from the Humber, is for bikes, runners and rollerbladers. Walkers and dogs should be using the Sunnyside boardwalk. Was this near the dog park there?
Sorry meant the continuation of the MGT west of the bridge. That's a shared path that is due for upgrade, but given this is the city of Toronto - it'll be implemented in 10 years after 10 studies.

Poor dog. I hope it didn't suffer too much. And I hope that the owner is alright too. I have seen a dog being run over and it is so sad.

btw, I thought the MGT was a multi-use trail. Anyone can use it other than motorized vehicles (and hence the max speed is 20 in most places). Runners and walkers have a second option in some places (a boardwalk).

In general I find it very myopic that cyclists talk about shared streets but when they have a path they can't share it with anyone (walkers, dogs, pedestrian crosswalks, the TTC, etc).

Poor dog. I hope it didn't suffer too much. And I hope that the owner is alright too. I have seen a dog being run over and it is so sad.

btw, I thought the MGT was a multi-use trail. Anyone can use it other than motorized vehicles (and hence the max speed is 20 in most places). Runners and walkers have a second option in some places (a boardwalk).

In general I find it very myopic that cyclists talk about shared streets but when they have a path they can't share it with anyone (walkers, dogs, pedestrian crosswalks, the TTC, etc).
This is why I have a hard time supporting the bike lobby (and I'm a recreational cyclist to boot).

You mean the spandex time trial cyclists.

Don't blame the bike lobby for these asshats riding on the MGT. Most recreational/utilitarian cyclists hate them too.

I honestly don't know as the usual situation is for cars to yield to a stopped bus pulling out into traffic. It's all a bit more ambiguous with bikes already to the right when a bus wants to pull in. I don't like that ambiguity and would much prefer that a solution like Sherbourne or Roncesvalles is implemented. This eliminates the possibility of physical conflict between bikes and buses and makes it a bit more obvious that bikes should yield to pedestrians that are boarding. I don't find the current zone very ideal.
I hope the latest towing blitz applies!
Agreed! There were 4 trucks parked in the Richmond lane between Yonge and Spadina last week when I took it. Absolutely unacceptable. One had even backed right up to a planter separating the lane in the Spadina intersection and sealing the track off. I think the $150 fine is insufficient…it should come with points for the drivers.
Sorry to hear about the dog. It is very frustrating though. The nicer the place that casual walkers should be relative to the MGT, the more likely it seems that the slowest walkers end up on the trail. And then walk 3 abreast with a couple dogs each.

Sorry meant the continuation of the MGT west of the bridge. That's a shared path that is due for upgrade, but given this is the city of Toronto - it'll be implemented in 10 years after 10 studies.

I believe that's part of a different park trail without any clear division between pedestrians and other recreational users.

Back