News   Apr 26, 2024
 454     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 202     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 668     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Were there any bollards up, or bike traffic counters how far east did you go? I only see the Adelaide lane from east of Bay St

Yes, the bollards start around Adelaide Place (just west of Portland) and then they're there on and off as you head east. Some stretches around Spadina have so many driveways/entrances that it's not really worth putting up bollards though ...

I go as far east as Simcoe most of the time.

I've thought the same thing. In fact, I usually go left (illegally) on Portugal Square and then approach the Bathurst/Adelaide intersection from the north. That signal takes way too long to change, so this way I have the option of making a vehicular left turn onto Adelaide. Once the railpath extension starts funneling bike traffic down behind CAMH and along Adelaide, this intersection is going to become completely unmanageable.

One signal doesn't change quickly enough to your liking or tastes so your solution is to perform an illegal maneuver?

The problem with approaching Bathurst & Adelaide from Portugal Sq on the correct side, i.e., arriving at the intersection from the south, is that you have to make a left across southbound traffic and join northbound traffic that is tailing back. Or ride on the wrong side (west side) of Bathurst to use the crossing signal. The wrong side of the square doesn't get much traffic anyway.

Has there been an official route behind CAMH established for the Railpath extension? I can see how that would work but there'd need to be a connection around Sudbury/Dovercourt, right?
There already is an informal connection there (the gate in the fence) and I do use it as a shortcut sometimes, though it's not the nicest route. I don't think that route is part of railpath planning, but I am pretty sure I heard that it is being considered as part of the CAMH redevelopment.

One signal doesn't change quickly enough to your liking or tastes so your solution is to perform an illegal maneuver?
No, actually there's no legal way to approach this intersection that makes sense. If one goes north around the Church you're going the wrong way. If one continues on Adelaide, there's a no left turn sign designed to keep traffic from going "straight" on Adelaide around the jog. In practice most bicyclists cut through the church parking lot/grass/sidewalk so that they're ready to continue directly straight on Adelaide.

That intersection at Bathurst and Adelaide is awful. Not just because of the condo construction, but because the legal way of making a left turn involves entering streetcar tracks, something I'm still not comfortable doing despite my city cycling experience. I see many cyclists wait in the curb bike lane, waiting for the red light on Bathurst; this hook turn should be make easier, and the light timing changed a bit to reduce the wait if going this route.

Richmond Street west of Bathurst is two-way for bikes. That might be the best way to approach Bathurst/Adelaide from the west, especially if the left turn is improved.

That intersection at Bathurst and Adelaide is awful. Not just because of the condo construction, but because the legal way of making a left turn involves entering streetcar tracks, something I'm still not comfortable doing despite my city cycling experience. I see many cyclists wait in the curb bike lane, waiting for the red light on Bathurst; this hook turn should be make easier, and the light timing changed a bit to reduce the wait if going this route.

Richmond Street west of Bathurst is two-way for bikes. That might be the best way to approach Bathurst/Adelaide from the west, especially if the left turn is improved.

I'm okay about crossing the tracks and making a left with the cars, but whether I do that or make a hook turn from the bike lane is a bit of a toss-up, depending on the amount of traffic. Today was a bike lane day. I'm coming from Richmond in this situation.

That's some damn impressive bike traffic.

More bikes than cars on Adelaide at that moment in time!
The effect is most impressive at 0:24 in the YouTube.

Not even a bike event, it seems -- they're are apparently just bike commuters converging from multiple directions, old and young, backpacks and without backpacks, etc.

Last edited:
I bike through there on my way to school everyday, coming from Adelaide. I have to make an illegal movement to get to to the bike lanes though, I cut up onto the sidewalk and bike over around the intersection, and wait for the bathurst signal to turn red. Note how many bikes are sitting on the sidewalk waiting for the signal to change, they more than likely all did what I do by cutting the corner where the Eastbound Adelaide goes around the church.

As for the "legal" movement, I think you are supposed to go southbound on the Bathurst lane and wait for the Bathurst signal to go red while sitting in the intersections part of the bike lane, as far as I can tell.

That amount of cyclists is normal for the morning rush hour there, the lanes get really good use. Going down the counterflow Richmond lanes in the evening rush hour can be quite entertaining, especially when someone has decided to park in them and 30 cyclists collectively berate them as they all pass by.

EB bike lane has now been extended from its previous terminus at Simcoe to, at least, University......that is where I turn off so I don't know if they extend to the east side of Uni.

EB bike lane has now been extended from its previous terminus at Simcoe to, at least, University......that is where I turn off so I don't know if they extend to the east side of Uni.

I think they go as far as Sherbourne now.

I think they go as far as Sherbourne now.
think that is where they are headed....not sure they are there yet....friday last week they did not even reach University....today is first day I have seen them go to Uni (which means they did this over the weekend)....so doubt they would be all the way over to Sherbourne by now.

think that is where they are headed....not sure they are there yet....friday last week they did not even reach University....today is first day I have seen them go to Uni (which means they did this over the weekend)....so doubt they would be all the way over to Sherbourne by now.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I did see today that Richmond has bollards near Yonge so I assume that extension is finished?

Back