News   Apr 19, 2024
 109     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 441     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 651     1 

Self-Driving Vehicles/Autonomous Vehicle Technology

Yes it's a small segment of the population, but they'll resist it at all costs....

That's okay 'cause I'll have both hands free in my self-driving car to throw stuff at them if they try anything that slows my car down.

My guess is that self-driving vehicles wont solve the road rage problem, might even make it worse.

My guess is that self-driving vehicles wont solve the road rage problem, might even make it worse.

For me, the most intriguing aspect of this topic is wondering how the developers will reduce the human nature parts of driving to algorithms. Such as finding a parking spot in a crowded mall lot ..... will the autonomous cars pull the "Hey, I was here first" routine ? Wonder if you will be able to set your ride's driving style to match your mood.....

- Paul

For me, the most intriguing aspect of this topic is wondering how the developers will reduce the human nature parts of driving to algorithms. Such as finding a parking spot in a crowded mall lot ..... will the autonomous cars pull the "Hey, I was here first" routine ? Wonder if you will be able to set your ride's driving style to match your mood.....

- Paul

I would think all the cars can talk to each other, so it would know where the open spots are. But question is, will the occupants want a spot far away from the mall entrance, or whatever. But, if they're fully autonomous, I guess it could let you off at the doors and go find it's own parking spot.

As for driving style, if it's possible, I'd assume everyone would just set it to ASAP mode, so sort of pointless. I could also see major advantages for Emergency vehicles once everything's fully autonomous, all the cars would just part and let the Fire truck or whatever fly through.

So many variables.....

As for driving style, if it's possible, I'd assume everyone would just set it to ASAP mode, so sort of pointless. I could also see major advantages for Emergency vehicles once everything's fully autonomous, all the cars would just part and let the Fire truck or whatever fly through.

So many variables.....

Situations like emergency vehicles, and merging lanes, will definitely be safer and more uniform. I wonder what it will take for more aggressive drivers to acclimatise - if the car chooses the safe, orderly flow where the driver would have floored it and done something selfish, their rage will be against the machine, not other drivers.

- Paul

My guess is that occupants of self driving cars wouldn't even be paying attention to that kind of thing any more than when they're riding a train. I think you lose the desire to drive aggressively when you're not in control. I'm sure that aggressive driving will be welcome at track days at race tracks though.

Last edited:
I think initially we will have owned autonomous vehicles with a shift towards shared vehicles over time. Similar to how Tesla is pushing forward with electric vehicles there needs to be a group of wealthy people who adopt the technology initially before it trickles down to the rest of us.

I do believe that auto-manufacturers will eventually end up replacing Uber and providing a one-stop shop for manufacturing and providing transportation services via their vehicles.

we'll still need public transportation in high-volume areas, however, as you can't really exceed the capacity provided by an ATC subway, or heavy rail line when taking into account road capacity and potential capacity for an autonomous bus, car, etc.

As a transportation planner I'm excited about the benefits of Autonomous vehicles. As an urban planner it eerily reminds me of early highway expansion where people ended up purchasing houses further from the city because they could. I can only imagine that the advent of this technology will have even more dire consequences in terms of sprawl. I do however think that cities and urban centres will be at an advantage in this scenario as the requirements for large parking facilities and wasted surface lots will be diminished or eliminated.

Eric Reguly - Globe and Mail - The Problem with Self Driving Cars - They're Still Cars

We’re getting duped. We’ve been told that the electric car and its tech-laden offspring, the self-driving car, will clear away smog, cure road congestion and help usher in a low-carbon economy that will spare the Earth from BBQ status. These rolling eco-gadgets will transform mobility as radically as steam trains did in the 1800s and gasoline-powered cars did more than a century ago, minus the lung-choking and planet-warming emissions.

It’s time for a reality check. The electric vehicle (EV) is not as clean as advertised and the advent of self-driving cars could stuff millions more cars on the road. Those objections are not coming just from EV and self-driving-car deniers—typically petrol heads who think civilization peaked with the recent launch of the 580-horsepower Chevrolet Camaro ZL1—but from sober consulting firms and academics. They argue that Tesla and Google aren’t necessarily the infallible gods of future personal transportation, even if they admire the ingenuity of the inventors and developers. Sadly, the skeptics’ voices are getting buried in the mountains of hype surrounding the new car technologies.

Yes, pure EVs—the ones with no gasoline engine—have already made a mark in the marketplace, even though they still account for less than 1% of passenger vehicle sales in North America and Europe (their share fell in 2015, probably because of plummeting gasoline prices). Shoppers’ bible Consumer Reports last year rated the $100,000-plus (U.S.) Tesla Model S P85D sedan the best car it had ever tested. Almost every big carmaker has electric cars in the showroom or in development.

Dozens of big companies—including Google, Tesla, Mercedes-Benz and Bosch—are also throwing billions of dollars into digital technology that will allow cars that steer themselves to deliver Junior to the paintball arcade or Grandma to the bingo parlour. The first self-driving cars should be in showrooms within five years, and hundreds of thousands of jobs will allegedly be created as cars are reinvented from the wheels up.

But a lot of those hopes may be misguided at best, and based on fraudulent claims at worst. Take the boast that EVs are zero-emission vehicles. It might be technically right if you ignore the pollution created in building the cars. Once the EVs are on the road, however, they often just transfer emissions from the tailpipe to the smokestack. In the United States, coal is still used to generate about 39% of electricity, and natural gas supplies about 27%.

Canada faces similar challenges. Last year Christopher Kennedy, a professor in the University of Toronto’s environmental engineering research group, determined that, in parts of the country where fossil fuels are burned to generate electricity—Alberta, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia—driving an EV could create more emissions than a gasoline engine. “You’re better off filling up at the pump,” Kennedy said on CBC Radio.

EVs will only be clean when renewable energy dominates the electricity grid. But that transition could take decades, and it is dependent on a big breakthrough in electricity storage, because solar panels are useless in the dark and wind turbines are useless unless the wind blows.

A recent North Carolina State University study looked at projected U.S. emissions levels in 2050 under more than 100 different scenarios. The authors concluded that even if more than 40% of the passenger vehicles were EVs, there would be little or no reduction in air pollution.

Would self-driving cars be any better? They, too, will be electric. And proponents argue that the robo-cars would dramatically reduce road congestion, partly because they can travel very close together, and partly because of the advent of a vehicle-sharing economy, which would reduce the number of private cars. Many—maybe most—of the self-driving cars would be in fleets that could be booked like Uber taxis.

Hold on. What if the ownership model does not change and these cars stay in private hands? If so, they would probably be an addition to the traditional family car—as so many EVs are now. Plus they would be used more often, because even people without a driver’s licence could use one. A study by KPMG concluded that if driverless cars retreat to cheap parking spaces outside the urban core after passengers are dropped off, or circle the block for an hour to avoid parking charges, traffic on U.S. roads could double. The on-demand cars would also make public transit and walking less attractive.

Lost in the debate about EVs and self-driving cars is the fact that they are still bloody cars. They still pollute. They still need parking spaces, and roads still need to be built for them. They still contribute to urban sprawl. Imagine if all the engineering talent and investor fortunes funnelled into these iPhones-on-wheels were put into public transportation instead.

I believe BMW had an I3 at the autoshow this year that was built in a zero emissions plant and the interior was made of 100% recycled materials. It looked just as good as any other BMW if not better.

Also Tesla has a product called the powerwall that can store enough solar power to charge your Tesla and run a house off of it.

If I were to build a house today, I would gladly pay extra to take it off the grid with something like Tesla's Powerwall.

The silver lining in Ontario's energy picture is that the power grid is very low- emission, although if we loaded up on electric cars our gas plants would run much more. Ontario doesn't account for all that many vehicles in the scheme of things.

The comment I found most interesting was the potential for 'deadheading' empty vehicles to create congestion.

For shared use vehicles, one would expect to find more 'cab rank' locations.... just like bixi, but automated. It would be interesting to watch vehicles pull over and hibernate in the first available space until dispatched.

- Paul

The comment I found most interesting was the potential for 'deadheading' empty vehicles to create congestion.

It won't take very long before a fee-by-distance from the city is implemented; in fact I'd argue we should charge taxis and Uber like that now instead of taxi medallions.

I expect having the car circle the block will be very common side-effect of short errands (20 minutes or less). Not even purposefully; the car will drop the owner at location, it'll wander off to find a parking spot, not find one quickly, and owner will call the car back again.

Since the owner doesn't experience the "looking for parking" portion of the trip any longer, more people will do it which will significantly increase the number of cars on local streets (the street now is the parking lot).

And that's without that 5% of owners who will order their car to circle the block for hours and hours to avoid parking charges.

Last edited:
I think it's naive to assume the future based on yesterday's or even today's current conditions. Just because a lot of people own their own vehicles today doesn't mean that these social shifts will not occur. With declining rates of people getting their license I think now, more than ever, we're seeing a pretty big shift of people away from an ownership model. This coupled with a potential high capital cost to own an automated vehicle and it would seem to me that simple market forces like supply and demand would almost ensure a sharing model takes precedent over an ownership model. We own cars today because it allows us the freedom to go where we want, when we want. If a family could just hail or book an AV a when they're ready for a long road trip I don't see any reason why they would feel a need to own unless the cost-benefits of owning one made more sense.

Back