291     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Sears Canada (1952-2017)

• Thread starter CanadianNational
  • Start date
Brian Sozzi is now saying that Sears Holdings in the States might not last past 2017. If that's the case, I'm guessing Sears Canada won't likely linger on much past that.

The defensiveness of Chris Brathwaite as cited in the article is laughable - "in the middle of a turn around" evidenced by a straight line decline in sales?

But Sears Canada has a new logo. And they are on their third or fourth attempt at " Sears 2.0".

Like this one perhaps:

Eatons-logo.png

AoD

I LOL'd at the new logo. Either done by a (high school) co-op student or they used something like fiverr.com. Bwahahahahahaha

I don't think anyone believes Sears will be around, at least in anything resembling its current form or under its current ownership, much longer.

I know some folks who work at their head office. Morale is poor to say the least.

There's some sense internally that Sears has 2 salvageable components in Canada, a fairly robust ecommerce business through sears.ca and the rural pick-up locations for orders.

But even those are under invested in and underperforming their potential.

Salvaging them almost certainly would require new leadership/ownership.

The retail end, in terms of full-line department stores is all but toast.

The shakeout for many malls, particularly smaller, small town, or B-level properties will be tough if Sears executes and across the board shutdown.

I don't see HBC picking up many locations, as for the most, if the mall is worthwhile, HBC is already there.

There may be the odd property in a better mall where HBC might add Sak's or where Nordstrom or Simons could show interest.

But what do you do w/those lesser properties?

I don't see any logical void filler.

Target might well have been the right fit, had they not fumbled the ball so badly here; but I think the odds on them returning to Canada in the next decade are fairly close to zero.

None of this is new. They've tried new leadership several times already. I imagine morale at the company has been low for at least 5 years now. At this point it's simply surprising that Sears Canada has lasted this long.

It's like keeping someone on life support just so that they can harvest all the organs.

AoD

Back