News   Apr 25, 2024
 299     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 495     0 

Sears Canada (1952-2017)

• Thread starter CanadianNational
  • Start date
Lampert: Slayer of Golden Geese

I don't know which major American company is worse: Sears or Electronic Arts.
Hmm thats a bit of a tough one; EA destroys every company it acquires and turns them into shells of their former glory years, while Sears with Uncle Eddie just continues to decimate an already beaten brand and siphons its value for as long as possible.

I'd say Sears is the winner of the two in terms of worst company due to the fact that they have a CEO who could care less about the company's day to day operations.

Meanwhile, in the United States, Sears Holdings continues to careen off a cliff:

Inside the Decline of Sears, the Amazon of the 20th Century
Suzanne Kapner, Wall Street Journal, 31 October 2017

(I linked to the WSJ tweet, because it seems to provide access to the whole article to non-subscribers, like me, in a way a link to the WSJ site does not)

Fairview’s Sears has been closed for a few weeks now. Odd being able to see right through to the back of the store. Looks smaller than it felt!

DF5E9636-3119-4FF0-A7C9-FD99106332ED.jpeg

Attachments

• DF5E9636-3119-4FF0-A7C9-FD99106332ED.jpeg
    DF5E9636-3119-4FF0-A7C9-FD99106332ED.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 896
Fairview’s Sears has been closed for a few weeks now. Odd being able to see right through to the back of the store. Looks smaller than it felt!

View attachment 130994

The only thing that Sears was useful for by the end was a quick access to the awkward subway connection. It's an unpleasant walk to the nearest mall entrance otherwise.

Given how poorly other department stores are doing in the current climate, I wonder what will come of all these closed Sears locations. It's an odd time in Canadian retailing. We still have all the TARGET stores sitting empty. I wonder what the retail landscape is going to be in 5 years...

Given how poorly other department stores are doing in the current climate, I wonder what will come of all these closed Sears locations. It's an odd time in Canadian retailing. We still have all the TARGET stores sitting empty. I wonder what the retail landscape is going to be in 5 years...
We are in a midst of a retail apocalypse.

Read the thread I made about it: The Retail Apocalypse

Back