Sears Canada (1952-2017) | Page 50

Discussion in 'Retail' started by CanadianNational, Apr 4, 2005.

1. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

Nevermind the option to hide Wente - I wish there is an option to micromanage my subscription to support non-Wente content.

On the bright side, their app finally works.

AoD

Skeezix likes this.

2. ShonTron

ShonTron Moderator

Oh, I know. I subscribe to a few news outlets, just not the Globe.

3. JasonParis

JasonParis Moderator

This announcement also opens up some office space above Nordstrom's in the CF Eaton Centre.

Skeezix likes this.
  4. ShonTron

ShonTron Moderator

That's CF Toronto Eaton Centre, Jason.

5. JasonParis

JasonParis Moderator

Ma faute!

6. gabe

gabe Senior Member

It's too bad Kohl's couldn't take over some Sears stores in the smaller markets. I was at a Kohl's last weekend in Buffalo, just about every car in the lot was from Ontario. Same with the lot at Target, which is surprising considering the Canadian dollar isn't great.

7. Amare

Amare Active Member

There's nothing really surprising in that article that we dont already know about. Some interesting facts of the article would be:

8. junctionist

junctionist Senior Member

Surely they track the page clicks. By not clicking on her columns but reading other contributors' columns, you're doing your part.

9. Johnny Au

Johnny Au Senior Member

Near where the boundaries of North York, York, and
    Note the name of the store in question and the journalist's surname.

It's a certain tall skyscraper in a certain windy city.

10. Skeezix

Skeezix Senior Member

Yeah, I wasn't clear, but my reason for posting the link wasn't for surprising new details, but rather Willis' description of what went wrong. A surprising number of other journalists seem to be using the same template that they use for any article about a retailer that goes belly up.

11. AlvinofDiaspar

AlvinofDiaspar Moderator

12. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior Member

40 years private sector work life here. Businesses come and go. They hire and let go. When they close down a lot of noise is made about severance but that money is always subject to EI clawback. And tax at source. Practically speaking, your severance will be taxed as income. Then you spend the rest and decide to go on EI; EI will account for that against your EI payment schedule. You may be waiting months for EI to begin.

Sometimes the severance is a generous lump sum that can be as much as a years pay. I knew a lady who was pregnant. They didn't want her. Two years severance bought her off. She was a lucky one.

Sometimes the severance is paid out monthly for a set term. Let's say 6 months. Evil part about about this is if you get back into the job market at 3 months.. your old employer will stop your 'package'.

There is a solution in this and I see it being forced on a growing part of the working and professional population. North American society is going to look and feel different. It does already in many smaller centres. Some will make do with less. Some will make do with not enough.

I witnessed the gutting of entire blocks of North Toronto in the late 90s [ok, that is an exaggeration] when Nortel folded. North Toronto was an enclave of Nortel senior technical managers.

When Abitibi paper folded - pun - a couple hundred minor and middle execs in Montreal found themselves degree-d, experienced, mortgaged in a nice Colonial style house, 50 and jobless for the rest of their lives. Many made enough money to support their grown children in homes of their own and even internet startups for their youngsters. When it all ended, some cleaved to prior respectability by calling themselves 'consultants'.

Both organizations workers mostly found themselves with pay and benefits ended just like that, a surprise, like the Sears folks.

Most of my friends who weathered this best were the ones who by nature housed, ate and consumed modestly, even like cheapskates, and invested since their youth, wisely or luckily.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  13. tiffer24

tiffer24 Senior Member

14. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Senior Member

Several of my former colleagues were booted by our Chicago headquartered office in Markham, with up to a years severance. What they smartly did was spend their year of paid unemployment developing a business, or partnerships with others, but not taking a dime in pay until the severance was over. A brilliant move IMO.

15. Towered

Towered Senior Member

I wonder what will become of the massive Sears lands and warehouse at Islington and Rexdale Blvd. I smell a highrise jungle coming...

Amare likes this.