News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 752     0 

Scarborough Town Centre

S

samsonyuen

Retail: Scarborough Town Centre area

I thought it'd be good to have a dedicated thread for issues and tidbits of info on new construction and relocation of retail, both downtown and in malls. Retail's an integral part of the city, being both necessity and luxury, and can add to its vibrancy and decline (oh no, not one more outlet mall!). If anyone has any rumors or info, post 'em here.

My first tidbit: Scarborough Town Centre has been busy filling its outparcel lots on the north and east sides (Milestone's, Krispy Kreme, Jack Astor's, and Best Buy). According to their management's website (www.20vic.com/le_sub/0411.../STC.pdf), they are planning to add more to their substantial western lots, which until recently were overflow parking lots used during Christmas shopping season. A big 148k square foot Loblaws is going in the northwest corner, and along Brimley will be Pier 1, Shoe Company, Bombay, George Richards, Bowring, and Boston Pizza. Bombay and Bowring are already in the mall, so I guess those are just relocations.

Has anyone noticed lots of Loblaws locations becoming No Frills? I guess this Loblaws will be their bigger Real Canadian Superstore format with more clothing and home goods. (Three of the Loblaws closest to my parents were all transformed into No Frills!)

Retail: Scarborough Town Centre area

I don't really like the new retail developments around Scarborough Centre. They're hogging up all the potential locations where high-rises could go. Just look at the new Price Chopper on McCowan. Wouldn't it be so much better if the Skyscape condominium fronts McCowan rather than just towering over the plaza with little street presence? The overflow lots at Brimley and Progress should have been reserved for high density development as well. If these retailers are looking for good places in Scarborough Centre to start up shop, I've got a good idea... how about those empty storefronts in the podium under the condos on Corporate Drive?

If the Scarborough Centre big box boom continues, the current condo boom there will be over in one or two years, as retailers gobble up the remaining vacant land in the area before condo developers get to them.

Sounds like the Loblaws is going on the old State Farm site, not a Town Centre parking lot. It was located at the NW corner, nestled against the 401 and Brimley.

Currently, the only Loblaws in Scarborough is at Cederbrae Mall - the two other closest ones are at Vic Park & Lawrence and McCowan & #7. The Agincourt Mall Loblaws became a No Frills in 2003.

There is still land for dozens of condos around STC, but with the RT at capacity I don't know how much more will be approved or even proposed.

If the Scarborough Centre big box boom continues, the current condo boom there will be over in one or two years, as retailers gobble up the remaining vacant land in the area before condo developers get to them.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Its very easy to tear down a big box store. As the area develops land prices will go up and a more urban form should appear. That's what happened to NYCC. All sorts of strip malls have disappeared. Northtown shopping Centre used to be one big strip mall with a Dominions in the centre surrounded by a ton of parking. Today its a bunch of highrises and townhouses with urban style retail including the Dominions.

I thought the State Farm Insurance building's at 401 and McCowan?

Yes, but before State Farm moved into that building, they were in a 50s lowrise along the 401 at Brimley--familiar to all 401-travellers well into the 1980s...

If memory serves me correctly, that State Farm building was unoccupied for several years before being demolished some time in the 90s, 1995ish perhaps. I guess if someone can find out the year the current State Farm building was occupied, that would be the year the old site was abandoned.

There's easily 100 acres of land around STC that could be used for condos, like the other three corners of Brimley & Progress (the SW is for sale, the SE is the grassy knoll that is in limbo unless that website specifically says it will be become a big box site - the link isn't working - and the NW/Schick site is massive and begging for development; tear down the Artex Sportswear warehouse for even more room). Then there's all the parking lots around Town Centre. These are just some of the empty lots, let alone potential redevelopments like Best Buy.

Wonder if there will be any expansion to Scarborough Town Centre now that the renovation is complete. The lack of a complement of new retailers is disappointing.

Perhaps the Walmart could move to the vacant lot east of Best Buy and turn into a Supercentre, since the exterior of the store never really was done properly with remnant windows from when Sears and going further back, the Bay was in that spot. That would give some room to expand the mall through that corridor.

Not sure where else they could expand since it would be a waste to form any more loops between entrances as they've already been redone as part of the renovation.

Press Release from Scarborough Town Centre:

SCARBOROUGH TOWN CENTRE WELCOMES NEW RETAILERS THIS FALL
Victoria’s Secret, Forever XXI, Aritzia, LOCALE, Justice, ecko unltd., Zumiez, Eyestar Optical, M for Mendocino and Journeys

Toronto–Scarborough Town Centre (STC) and Oxford Properties launch a dynamic mix of new retailers including Victoria’s Secret, Forever XXI, Justice, ecko unltd., Zumiez and Journeys as well as Canadian Aritzia, M for Mendocino, LOCALE and Eyestar Optical. Occupying 60,000 sq. ft. these latest additions will begin arriving in August with all stores set to open by spring 2012. Scarborough Town Centre’s new look - the result of a two-year, $62-million renovation - coupled with its fitting demographics and commitment to sustainability are attracting myriad fashion-forward brands to the centre.

As a centre of firsts, new tenants include one of the largest two-storey Forever XXI occupying 27,000 sq. ft. as well as the only Victoria’s Secret location in the east end of the city, to be located next to sister store Victoria’s Secret PINK. Both locations open November 2011- in time for holiday shopping.

“Scarborough Town Centre has a vibrant future as a fashion destination and gathering place for brand-savvy, fashion-conscious shoppers,” says Kathy Meyers, General Manager, Scarborough Town Centre. “We are both proud and delighted to offer an updated retail mix to all our visitors.”

Tween favourite Justice is now open, as well as fashion eye-wear store Eyestar Optical. Skate and snow lifestyle store Zumiez opens in August. Opening this fall is ecko unltd, which carries the world-famous Rhino apparel and accessories. Additionally, Journeys, which features footwear and accessories, arrives in October 2011. Shoe retailer LOCALE is set to arrive this spring.

Since its renovation, retail sales at STC are up 3.71 per cent*, with monthly foot traffic increasing by 5.2 per cent*. Monthly fashion accessory sales have risen by 20.4 per cent*, men’s apparel sales have increased by 16.1 per cent* and women’s apparel sales are up by 2.5 per cent*. Specialty leasing has also increased 27.2* per cent, proving retailers are gravitating towards the enhanced centre. The fresh retail mix targets STC’s primary customer - fashionable 15-44 year olds who reside primarily in Scarborough, but who also live in Durham Region and Markham, as well as in Toronto’s Beaches area.

Renovations to the centre include new entrances, internal and external landscaping, escalators to replace staircases at the Bay and Sears courts, eight new skylights and energy-saving daylight sensors, which ensure STC is always bathed in soft, even light. Since the revitalization, Hallmark, Footlocker, At Ease, Laura Secord, Jean Machine, Crabtree & Evelyn, Northern Reflections, Fruits and Passion, Call it Spring and Reitmans have all received upgrading or have relocated to fresher locations.

As an inviting community meeting place with remarkable esthetics, Scarborough Town Centre is the largest shopping centre in Toronto’s east end. STC currently houses 250 stores, three anchor retailers and nine restaurants on 1.4 million sq. ft. Scarborough Town Centre is the go-to fashion destination in the east end.

I wonder what will get demoed to move the food courts into. I think we're talking expansion for the mall in the not too far distant future, with a plan to cozy up to McCowan a little more, and that likely requires improving flow through the current food courts. Not sure how long until a formal announcement; maybe not until plans for the Scarborough RT replacement are settled.

Back