News   Apr 24, 2024
 544     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 748     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 523     0 

Sam's Sign and the Yonge Street Heritage Zeitgeist

Or else, it may remain a "purposeful black hole" a la St. Christopher House in the old CIBC at Queen & Bathurst...

Now legendary musician Geddy Lee is putting his two cents in:

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/201...effort-to-save-iconic-Sam-the-Record-Man-sign

September 27, 2013

To: Toronto City Council

The Sam the Record Man store and sign were important fixtures in Toronto's musical landscape as well as its Civic history. Sadly, all that remains now are our memories of the store and this magnificent neon sign. Ryerson and the city of Toronto should absolutely preserve what myself and many of its citizens consider to be an important symbol of our past and of that store's contributions to our culture.

Geddy Lee

Funny how it is extremely important to spend over $70,000 on 30 "heritage chairs" that most Torontonians or Tourists have never seen or even cared about; then compare that with taking down an iconic sign that many people from outside of Toronto view as a symbol of Toronto (looking at the records while Mark Daley's voice bellowed, "city TV, everywhere") I find it ironic how the same people who are adamant that the chairs are part of Toronto culture and we must pay whatever it costs to refurbish and yet the Sam's Records are viewed as expendable and offer no history of old Toronto.

Funny how it is extremely important to spend over $70,000 on 30 "heritage chairs" that most Torontonians or Tourists have never seen or even cared about; then compare that with taking down an iconic sign that many people from outside of Toronto view as a symbol of Toronto (looking at the records while Mark Daley's voice bellowed, "city TV, everywhere") I find it ironic how the same people who are adamant that the chairs are part of Toronto culture and we must pay whatever it costs to refurbish and yet the Sam's Records are viewed as expendable and offer no history of old Toronto.

The chairs are integral to City Hall, which *is* something most Torontonians or Tourists have seen or cared about. And believe it or not, an awful lot of those who're sticking up for the chairs are also sticking up for the Sam's sign...

Perhaps Geddy Lee should put his money where his mouth is. Sam Sniderman was instrumental in pushing for Canadian content regulations that have no doubt made Geddy Lee many millions of dollars over the years. Geddy Lee and the many other CAN-CON millionaires should pitch in and pay for the restoration of this sign.

The chairs are integral to City Hall, which *is* something most Torontonians or Tourists have seen or cared about. And believe it or not, an awful lot of those who're sticking up for the chairs are also sticking up for the Sam's sign...

I wouldn't say most Torontonians or tourists have seen those chairs -- though I agree about their importance. I really can't imagine that most Torontonians have even been inside City Hall.

Mayor Ford Wants The Sam The Record Man Sign Back Up

http://www.640toronto.com/2013/10/01/mayor/

Toronto, ON, Canada / Talk Radio AM640
Danny Longo
October 01, 2013 04:33 am
The Mayor thinks Ryerson should stick to its original deal with the city to display the Sam the Record Man sign.

He held a closed door meeting in his office on Monday with Ryerson president Sheldon Levy, heritage staff and community members to talk about the issue.

The school has agreed to maintain the sign but it’s now a matter of where it will be displayed.

The original plan was for the sign to go up at 347 Yonge. Then Gould Street was brought up as an alternative.

Ford says Yonge-Dundas square was also pitched at the meeting but it will likely be one of the top original plans.

Ryerson could have just 1 year to find a location after a motion was passed at a Sept. 10 community council meeting.

That proposal will be debated by city council next Tuesday.

Can someone clarify what has been retained re the sign? I assume only the spinning discs and not the red background or flashing SAM signs?

Apparently yes; the red background and the SAM letters--hard to divorce it all from each other. (But not all the other neon discs that accompanied the store's 1990s expansion.)

I think we have an opportunity here to solve another problem while finding a good home for the sign. The stage at Yonge-Dundas Square was never finished due to budget constraints. It was then built piecemeal with a mismash of cheap additions. I think this would be a great opportunity to rebuild the stage with the Sam's sign as the backdrop. Ryerson would pitch in along with the city to build a proper stage and the sign would have a great home flashing behind performing artists. At the revelation of the new stage, the square could then finally get its proper name: Sam The Recordman Square, or Recordman Square for short.

Apparently yes; the red background and the SAM letters--hard to divorce it all from each other. (But not all the other neon discs that accompanied the store's 1990s expansion.)

Oh, good. I really wasn't expecting those parts to be retained; but was hoping that would be the case.

Metroman,
I feel that the sign would be too low if added as a backdrop to the stage. It would create a huge barrier. I'd prefer to see it mounted higher. Somebody suggested one of the media towers or one of the blank grey walls of the Toronto Life Building. These ideas seem good to me... or perhaps a purpose-built tower or structure?

Back