Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Interestingly they've been opening the roof during the day this week. Usually it stays closed unless the Jays are playing.

Interesting. Wonder if they will continue to pursue real grass

I'm sure they're still investigating natural grass and we will probably know the project's feasibility within 6 months, but as per Eric Lyons of U of Guelph who is overseeing the grass project:

Asked directly whether there will ever be real grass at the Rogers Centre, he's circumspect.

"I don't know. It's not about the grass. It's about the building. We have the technology, it's just never been engineered because there's never been a stadium that needed it."

To me, it seems Rogers may have to forego real grass considering all the other work that needs to be done to the Dome, including new seats, reorienting the 100 level to actually face the infield, new outfield areas, upgraded private boxes, upgraded public squares and a new roof cover which may or may not be transparent.

Transparent would be one of the ways to grow grass other than have lights on all the time
That was the original plan for the Astrodome but the panels didn't let in enough light. The natural grass kept dying so they ended up having to develop Astroturf.

Now, tech has advanced considerably with hybrid fields, grow lamps etc... but my guess is a translucent roof would only help minimally over keeping the roof open whenever possible.

With a transparent roof, there could be a Leafs game in the foreseeable future. This would allow the Rogers Centre to hold a record: hosting regular season games of all six professional North American sports leagues.
Don't see how the roof transparency matters - they've played an "outdoor" game in Vancouver under their roof. And they regularly have rinks in the Dome - Disney Stars on Ice will be here at the end of the month.

Yet, TFC did play in the Rogers Centre a few times during the regular season.

That fact is irrelevant now because A) MLSE/Bell just spent millions to upgrade BMO for the purpose of hosting high profile events such as the MLS Cup and B) Rogers wants to keep the Dome as baseball-centric a facility as possible, especially considering the new dirt infield that was installed this year. There's too much work involved now to convert the Dome to soccer/football format and then back to baseball again. That's a big reason why Rogers turfed the Argos from the facility.

Last edited:

Back