813     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 693     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Like all populist pandering, it's just about whatever sounds good at a particular moment. The Fords talk a lot about sticking up for 'the little guy' and representing 'the common folk', but economically they haven't been those things for a generation or so. Their whole shtick involves having a blind spot about their own privilege and counting on their supporters to have a blind spot too, hence DoFo going on swanky European vacations

doug-and-karla-ford.jpg

while railing against 'wine-sipping elitists'. There is such a thing as raging so hard against perceived elitism and pretentiousness that the pendulum swings back the other way towards affectation ...

Time once again to remember Andy Griffith in his greatest role, as Lonesome Rhodes
in A Face in The Crowd. (Rhodes is a natural born genius at populist politics.)

Lonesome Rhodes: This whole country's just like my flock of sheep!

Marcia Jeffries: Sheep?

Lonesome Rhodes: Rednecks, crackers, hillbillies, hausfraus, shut-ins, pea-pickers - everybody that's got to jump when somebody else blows the whistle. They don't know it yet, but they're all gonna be 'Fighters for Fuller'. They're mine! I own 'em! They think like I do. Only they're even more stupid than I am, so I gotta think for 'em. Marcia, you just wait and see. I'm gonna be the power behind the president - and you'll be the power behind me!

Which of course is exactly how this group of individuals would behave online and in person under the guise of "the real". No surprise how the Fos and Trump resonate with that crowd - in fact, the over-the-top rhetoric of those two felt a little artificial - no doubt because of the need to whip that crowd into a feeding frenzy.

AoD

The similarities of Trump and Ford in how they campaign is freakish. Their supporters as well. It's not that their supporters support a policy I disagree with. They don't seem to care about policy. It's more about "I want to support a giant blow hard" It doesn't matter how illogical it is, or how one policy is contradiction to another one. None of that seems to matter. It's an odd bunch.

Saying all that Trump is no where near as sleazy as Ford and honestly probably not the worst Republican candidate lol.

It's very heartwarming to see Mr. Starkovski (aka Muzik's big gun, aka Rob's good bud) support victim services, with the blessing of TPS...

http://www.chiefsgala.com/#about

Guess they're not using Paid Duties for this event. I'm gagging - the shit money can buy, eh? Maybe the Fords should buy a table for the family. They're victims, and their hearts regularly bleed, right?

Of course, the *real* icing on some kind of cake would be if any of these Fordiverse characters popped up on the Ashley Madison hack.

Crime Scene Coverage Suffers as Police Scanners Go Dark
By giving the police the power to control the flow of information, holes in crime reporting begin to appear.

For example, compare the way police handled the entertainment district shooting of Kwasi Skene-Peters with the killing of Andrew Loku. Both men were shot by police, but Skene Peters was wanted for murder and the need for police to use deadly force was clear. Journalists were granted full cooperation.

Loku, on the other hand, was a mentally distressed father who was shot by police in his own apartment building. In that scenario, police went into lockdown mode, granting journalists as little access to the crime scene as possible. The details surrounding his death remain clouded.
[...]
“What the public is interested in is not always synonymous with the public interest. People think because they want to see that they have a right to see it, and I don’t think that’s the case.”

And according to Doucette, Pugash isn’t alone in that belief: citing a meeting he and other journalists had with former chief of police Bill Blair last year on the topic of scanners going encrypted, Doucette said that Blair made a particular comment that he says “solidified the issue” for him.

“One thing that sticks out to me that I’ve never forgotten, when [Bill Blair] said, almost word for word: ‘The officers of TPS operations will decide what’s newsworthy’.”

I tried to ask Bill Blair if he actually said that. His staff told me he would not be talking about police matters now that he is running for Parliament.

http://canadalandshow.com/article/crime-scene-coverage-suffers-police-scanners-go-dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back