906     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 607     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a very interesting piece on "white privilege" that I find explains it better than I've seen it before, clarifying the real racial privilege. The author also points out that some of the supposed benefits of "white privilege" are actually "class privilege" having been originally voiced by activists confusing race and socio-economic standing.

The article is at http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person

And ps, I'm not just white, I'm pink and freckled. That's what happens when a French garçon meets and woos a pretty Irish lassie.

Classically the term encompasses both of the arguments, that's why it's wrong in today's society.

toronto mascot.JPG

http://iconosquare.com/p/1044485060028915369_711433702

Attachments

• toronto mascot.JPG
    toronto mascot.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 553
Actually she was allegedly stopped to issue her a traffic ticket, she at first denied to provide ID and they cuffed her because she became irate and resisted being ticketed. Cole is calling it carding, doesn't fit the definition to me, something smells somewhere.

According to her account, two vehicles were involved in forcing her off the road, supposedly because she didn't pull over, and she didn't provide ID because she had none on her; she allegedly told the cops this but they insisted they couldn't let her go without seeing ID.

It might not be carding or profiling but I don't think it's an acceptable way to treat a citizen. For one thing, the HTA states that cyclists need not provide a driver's licence as ID and that giving one's name and address is a sufficient alternative to doing so.

According to her account, two vehicles were involved in forcing her off the road, supposedly because she didn't pull over, and she didn't provide ID because she had none on her; she allegedly told the cops this but they insisted they couldn't let her go without seeing ID.

It might not be carding or profiling but I don't think it's an acceptable way to treat a citizen. For one thing, the HTA states that cyclists need not provide a driver's licence as ID and that giving one's name and address is a sufficient alternative to doing so.

The cops stated up front that she ran a red light and would be getting a ticket. If you listen to the audio of the video she states it is not against the law, and screams repeatedly she has not broke the law.

ID is indeed mandatory (poof of name and bank acct. is sufficient) when there is a ticket written and given, standard procedure even for getting a ticket on TTC property for smoking. She refused to give her name and address when asked until after at least ten to twelve minutes after she was cuffed. If she was driving a car she would have been put in cuffs and informed of her arrest as well for not complying to the cops order. I'm surprised they did not charge her with resisting arrest.

The second car was not with the cops and turned into the bike lane when hearing the siren.

They indeed gave her a ticket which she threw to the ground as she walked over to snap a pic of the licence plate of the cop car.

Last edited:
Flip flop Nation strikes again, first the they claim no real comparison between Trump and Robbie, then...

I Hate The War on Mayor Rob Ford
12 hrs ·
The avalanche of lib-left columns trying to smear Donald Trump as "America's Rob Ford" continues. Ignore them, they are stupid. That being said, we're beginning to warm to Trump as a legitimate Presidential candidate around here. Enjoy this well-reasoned piece by our friend Arthur Weinreb. And to the imbeciles who think comparing The Donald to Rob is an insult, consider this: Rob Ford was an extremely popular politician, an extremely successful campaigner, his political policies were extremely popular, and he would likely still be Mayor of Toronto today if he didn't get stricken with cancer. Also, Donald Trump has 1,000 times the bankroll, and none of the personal-life baggage, so if anything, he builds only on the strengths of Mayor Ford, without the weaknesses

Article from the non bias Canada Free Press: http://canadafreepress.com/article/74266#.VcDrA15CPFk.twitter

The cops stated up front that she ran a red light and would be getting a ticket. If you listen to the audio of the video she states it is not against the law, and screams repeatedly she has not broke the law.

ID is indeed mandatory (poof of name and bank acct. is sufficient) when there is a ticket written and given, standard procedure even for getting a ticket on TTC property for smoking. She refused to give her name and address when asked until after at least ten to twelve minutes after she was cuffed. If she was driving a car she would have been put in cuffs and informed of her arrest as well for not complying to the cops order. I'm surprised they did not charge her with resisting arrest.

The second car was not with the cops and turned into the bike lane when hearing the siren.

They indeed gave her a ticket which she threw to the ground as she walked over to snap a pic of the licence plate of the cop car.

Cyclist to identify self
218. (1) A police officer who finds any person contravening this Act or any municipal by-law regulating traffic while in charge of a bicycle may require that person to stop and to provide identification of himself or herself. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 218 (1).
Idem
(2) Every person who is required to stop, by a police officer acting under subsection (1), shall stop and identify himself or herself to the police officer. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 218 (2).
Idem
(3) For the purposes of this section, giving one’s correct name and address is sufficient identification. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 218 (3).

They never asked her for her name and address - they threatened her with arrest if she did not produce ID. They also didn't write the ticket until after she offered to present the only thing resembling ID that she had: a bank card with her name but obviously no photo.

I think she could have handled it differently, but I don't think the cops' approach was right and the amount of force used may not have justified an arrest. Appeals court jurisprudence suggests that if an arrest is not lawful, a suspect has a right to resist, provided the amount of force used to resist is not excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back