84     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 838     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 288     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
he is actually looking pretty healthy...

looking healthy.PNG

http://iconosquare.com/p/1043690281044610088_314618138

Attachments

• looking healthy.PNG
    looking healthy.PNG
    652.4 KB · Views: 767
In this day and age there are, at least in this country, no laws classifying anyone as second class so to use colour in such a label is crap. I may just be an idealist on this but I see everyone equal and I form opinions about people on their actions, deeds, and other pertinent information.

"White privilege" exists as much as "black privilege", etc. My point is such labels are archaic, colour adjectives are racist IMO, and "privilege" should be from merit not appearance.

In this case, IMO, reducing an action down to a colour is what caused the problem in the first place and allows it to continue. None of us are perfect but we have to wash away the crap views and not promote ignorance. To automatically fall back on something like "white privilege" instead of, IMO, stupidity or ignorance, well...

Oh yah, I'm not Dutch.

Well said!

Jimmi, look at it this way. I'm white, from a working class background. I have privilege, even over a rich Black person. If both of us were driving around in a fancy car, which one of us do you think the police would be more likely to stop, even though such a car is outside of my pay scale?

Probably the black guy, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as guys like Desmond Cole would have you believe--at least in the GTA. Many cops are just a-holes to everyone. I've been randomly stopped and aggressively interrogated by police a few times. I've been frisked (very, ahem, aggressively) and carded on Yonge Street during rush hour coming from my job only a couple of years ago while groups of people looked on. Also, some plain clothed cops who started questioning me and my friends without identifying themselves or their purpose threw me onto the hood of their car when I asked them who they were and why they were bothering us. I've even been put in a police cruiser for quietly walking a few houses down with a beer in my hand while legal age. So I'm white but not privileged enough to be free from this kind of stuff.

The only "childish b.s." I see is your stubborn insistence on tirelessly railing against a wholly incorrect definition of white privilege. You keep getting upset about black people who talk about white privilege yet refuse to engage with the actual definition of the term they are using, even after it's been explained to you (since this is not the first time).

To be clear, white privilege is not the privilege to be rich and spoiled. It's the privilege of being free from systemic racism. That's it.

So now that you know what it actually means (and can't continue to pretend you don't), how exactly is everyone with white skin being insulted? What exactly is insulting about a term that identifies the opposite experience of racism??

I'm sure systemic racism against blacks exists here to some extent, but I have a hard time believing it's anywhere close to what some local activists would have you believe. IMO, some people exaggerate how bad things are to to try and make names for themselves.

I've even been put in a police cruiser for quietly walking a few houses down with a beer in my hand while legal age. .

So you were breaking a law...the point of carding is that people are stopped without doing anything illegal.

Let me offer up another white man's experience. I've lived on Parliament St. near Regent Park for the last 5 years...never once been stopped or looked at sideways by a cop.

So you were breaking a law...the point of carding is that people are stopped without doing anything illegal.

Let me offer up another white man's experience. I've lived on Parliament St. near Regent Park for the last 5 years...never once been stopped or looked at sideways by a cop.

Being put in the guy's cruiser for that was excessive, don't you think? I didn't resist or mouth off. Anyhow, I gave two other examples of being randomly harassed for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back