127     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 855     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 289     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking exclusively at the "mental" and drug use aspects, we have already looked at the fallacy of "white privilege". I'm sure if Robbie posed a potentially lethal threat to a panicky cop then he would be put down.
Most of your posts give the impression that you are a stand up guy but occasionally I wonder if English is your first language. I say this because "We have already looked at the fallacy of white priveledge" sends the message that you think white priveledge is made up . If you believe that you are entitled to your belief (it's wrong ) but it doesn't jibe with whatever else you seem to feel about it. Just checking to be clear. I was thinking maybe Dutch?

In this day and age there are, at least in this country, no laws classifying anyone as second class so to use colour in such a label is crap. I may just be an idealist on this but I see everyone equal and I form opinions about people on their actions, deeds, and other pertinent information.

"White privilege" exists as much as "black privilege", etc. My point is such labels are archaic, colour adjectives are racist IMO, and "privilege" should be from merit not appearance.

In this case, IMO, reducing an action down to a colour is what caused the problem in the first place and allows it to continue. None of us are perfect but we have to wash away the crap views and not promote ignorance. To automatically fall back on something like "white privilege" instead of, IMO, stupidity or ignorance, well...

Oh yah, I'm not Dutch.

Last edited:
"I'm the most racist person ..and I'm the mayor of Toronto" - I'm paraphrasing from memory, and I think that was in Hizzoner's Steak Queen rant.

Because of the context and everything, I've always had this feeling that Ford actually meant the opposite of what he said, i.e. "racist" to him meant "open to all races". Yes, he'd be that stupid (or drunken, or blasted, etc)

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2015/2015onsc4783/2015onsc4783.html

In case anyone wants to read the full version, here is the judgement on the Fords' motions to dismiss the conflict of interest case.

[19] The Ford family owns Deco Labels & Tags Ltd., Deco Adhesive Products (1985) Ltd., and Doug Ford Holdings Inc. Mayor Ford and Councillor Ford are Directors of Doug Ford Holdings Inc. (formerly Deco Adhesive Products Ltd.) and Deco Adhesive Products (1985) Ltd. Deco Labels & Tags Ltd. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Doug Ford Holdings Inc., of which Councillor Ford is a Director.
Sounds complicated. Has anyone tried to untangle the web of Fordian business structures?

[19] The Ford family owns Deco Labels & Tags Ltd., Deco Adhesive Products (1985) Ltd., and Doug Ford Holdings Inc. Mayor Ford and Councillor Ford are Directors of Doug Ford Holdings Inc. (formerly Deco Adhesive Products Ltd.) and Deco Adhesive Products (1985) Ltd. Deco Labels & Tags Ltd. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Doug Ford Holdings Inc., of which Councillor Ford is a Director.
Sounds complicated. Has anyone tried to untangle the web of Fordian business structures?

No, but that sounds like pretty standard stuff for a family enterprise. By setting up personal and joint holding companies they can shelter funds (legally) from certain taxes. Just ignore the bits and look at it as one amorphous greasy blob. Or a couple of amorphous blogs that jointly own a label company.

I hope, if Towhey is ever being considered for a job somewhere, that a potential future employer reads that.

On the Rob Ford Must Go Facebook page, Jude says the Fords have a number of other arguments to get the case thrown out. Looks like December is the next date.

Because of the context and everything, I've always had this feeling that Ford actually meant the opposite of what he said, i.e. "racist" to him meant "open to all races". Yes, he'd be that stupid (or drunken, or blasted, etc)
That's just it: I don't know if he said it provocatively, mockingly, or drunken-Fordian-slippingly. I know he has trouble apologizing, and Dougie then tried to "whitewash" his brother's comments with a kind of "come on folks, what's the big deal here" ending with the "my wife's Jewish" claim and "little-red apples". For me it just felt like a line had been crossed. Maybe it was about Robo trying to distance himself from his Dixon buddies. I don't think its ok being racist as long as you're not talking blatantly racist shit, But being a bully and spewing racist comments as a weapon in your arsenal of intimidation for political ends and us accepting it as "That's just Robbie", was a real civic failure. I think it needed some kind of rational response. It could have been a "teaching moment" for this city. Not that it would have changed the ex-Mayor (remembering that his big sister had flirted with local white supremicists who were open Fascists and had to be run out of Riverdale and Parkdale by local anti-racist community groups) but it might have countered the increasing empowerment of the FORDNATION goons. Instead we are still contemplating Robbie's potential run for Mayor in 2018.

That's just it: I don't know if he said it provocatively, mockingly, or drunken-Fordian-slippingly. I know he has trouble apologizing, and Dougie then tried to "whitewash" his brother's comments with a kind of "come on folks, what's the big deal here" ending with the "my wife's Jewish" claim and "little-red apples". For me it just felt like a line had been crossed. Maybe it was about Robo trying to distance himself from his Dixon buddies. I don't think its ok being racist as long as you're not talking blatantly racist shit, But being a bully and spewing racist comments as a weapon in your arsenal of intimidation for political ends and us accepting it as "That's just Robbie", was a real civic failure. I think it needed some kind of rational response. It could have been a "teaching moment" for this city. Not that it would have changed the ex-Mayor (remembering that his big sister had flirted with local white supremicists who were open Fascists and had to be run out of Riverdale and Parkdale by local anti-racist community groups) but it might have countered the increasing empowerment of the FORDNATION goons. Instead we are still contemplating Robbie's potential run for Mayor in 2018.

Ya, maybe he meant to say raceless, thinking it's a word for not caring which race you're from? lol But he did mock that cab driver's accent so maybe he was admitting to being racist.

I wonder why the Star never released that recording. I don't recall them saying whether they'd try to purchase it and things fell through or what the reason was for not releasing.

I wonder what ever happened to the person who made the recording. There was a few of them in the car. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out who it was.

Things come out of Rob's mouth on a regular basis that make no sense. Don't try to figure out what any of it means. It's a waste of your time and energy. Rob doesn't even know what he means.

Things come out of Rob's mouth on a regular basis that make no sense. Don't try to figure out what any of it means. It's a waste of your time and energy. Rob doesn't even know what he means.

Like yelling at potholes and so many other examples.

Re the COI being back in court in December - probably just long enough to get a day or two of arguments in and then they'll put it off because of the impending holidays and then it'll just keep dragging on. I hope it doesn't happen that way as it would be satisfying to see it all proceed at once.

The endless fascination of words
Many times we allow the wool to be pulled over our eyes because we are, in such instances, BLOCKHEADS. Hat makers would display their newest creations in the 1800s on wooden head-shaped blocks in store windows. To be called a BLOCKHEAD was to imply you had no brains – just a head filled with wood.

And that reminds me of another term describing someone like former Mayor Rob Ford who could have been described by some, in his prime, as a LOOSE CANNON. On a warship, if a heavy artillery gun broke loose from its mounting and rolled freely over a gun deck during a storm or a battle it would cause mayhem and damage to everything in its path. Today, LOOSE CANNON applies to people who are inclined to behave uncontrollably and without due regard to the consequences of what they say or do.

Many of the things that politicians like Rob Ford do cause us to look on in puzzlement and dismay. In fact, we are so perplexed by some of the actions that it could be said that we are STUMPED. The first written reference TO BE STUMPED was recorded in 1812. If you were trying to clear your land and the tree stump was so large that you could not do it on your own, then you were STUMPED and required someone else to help you solve the problem. In Toronto the voting public was so “STUMPED” that they had to get help from John Tory to remove “the stump”.
http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2015/07/31/everything-from-turncoat-to-blockhead-is-uncovered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back