News   Apr 25, 2024
 154     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Rob Ford and Pride

For the record, his best PR rep Sue-Ann Levy is openly gay. Something to consider before we all tar and feather him.

And for the record mods, I'm not being snide. She has come out as being a lesbian.

Sue-Ann may be lesbian but she is no different than other gay politicians who deny or hide their situation for power, like Jon Baird.

I would like to take this chance to suggest people check out Andrew Sullivan, presently at Newsweek/The Daily Beast (you can add his blog to an RSS fead). I think he is one of the most erudite speakers on the conservatism and gay marriage in our present cultural environment.

Last edited:
Of course I understand it is all politics. I am not stupid. However two things to mention here

1) I think Ford at least is honest for showing disinterest in the gay affairs. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Gay rights are well protected here in Canada, and I don't see the reason why they need to receive special treatment any more. I'd rather that he doesn't show up than some mayor showing up completely out of political motivation - to appear gay friendly just for the popularity yet deep inside resents it. Ford is a person, he should be allowed to have no interest in the gay parade.

2) Does the fact the mayor shows or not show up in the event really affect attendance? Do visitors inquire about whether the mayor will be present and then decide whether to come to Toronto and watch the parade? Unless you have evidence showing Ford intentionally cut the budget for the parade, whether or not he shows up personally is not important for Toronto's tourism industry.

Evidence, schmevidence. What, are we in court now?

Sure, Ford's honest about not being interested in the gay vote. Good for him in that regard. But that's beside the point. No, visitors to the city don't inquire whether the mayor will be on hand at major civic events like Pride and Caribana - did you think otherwise? Still, that doesn't preclude the fact that having high-ranking city officials on hand at such events is a sign of respect for the event itself - or, if you will, tacit acknowledgement that all those tourists coming to the city are welcome to do so and to spend as much dough as they can stand while they are here. What's so difficult to understand about that?

Would I expect Ford to attend every Pride parade? Nope. I don't think that would be reasonable. Plenty of civic events as it is and the mayor can't go to them all. Would I like to see him attend even one Parade? Sure I would. I would think more of him, were he to do so. But I don't expect him to go that route. We're talking about Rob Ford here... might as well expect the man to don a tutu and walk a tightrope across Niagara Falls.

While you might describe Pride as being solely about "gay affairs," some of us would view it as that and much more. For example, this is a Toronto event - one that is known around the world, and one that sends a clear message about life in Toronto. Recognition of Pride and of same sex rights also highlights the ideals of tolerance and freedom to be as one is - a right that has been hard fought for against prejudice and hate. Pride also respects the motto of our city: "Diversity Our Strength."

By turning his back on these things, the mayor turns his back on significant and important qualities and ideals of this city. He does so, in my opinion, out of ignorance and blinkered politics.

stop glorifying the Toronto gay parade. It is fun but let's not pretend it is a Toronto thing. Most major North American cities have this every summer as well, from New York to Seattle, from Miami to San Francisco. Even Nashville, TX has it. São Paulo's parade is supposed to the world's largest.

If he goes will he be cheered or booed?
Does the gay community wish to mend bridges or place him on a pedestal to be ridiculed and pilloried?

I think he was more in fear of the reaction of the crowd and participants than he was morally against participating.

If he went to the actual parade, he'd be greeted with more love than he could handle ... just like Lastman was.

But remember that it's not just the parade that he won't attend on cottage weekend. There's over a week's worth of events ranging from wild parties to church services and he didn't attend any despite several olive branches being extended to him. This year sounds even worse as people like Councillor Wong Tam have offered to hold the most inoffensive, carefully-controlled, Ford-friendly receptions possible just to give him the opportunity to be the bigger person without lifting a finger.

stop glorifying the Toronto gay parade. It is fun but let's not pretend it is a Toronto thing. Most major North American cities have this every summer as well, from New York to Seattle, from Miami to San Francisco. Even Nashville, TX has it. São Paulo's parade is supposed to the world's largest.

Stop denigrating the Toronto gay parade. Let's not pretend it isn't a big deal. The Toronto Pride celebration is one of the world's largest. It's the longest running Pride parade in North America. For sheer size it smokes a lot of the cities you mentioned.

I disagree. The mayor has the right to go on a vacation with his family on a summer weekend. I have nothing against the LBGT community, but they already have every right a normal citizen possess including marriage, and I don't think it is the mayor's obligation to spend personal time on a parade of a particular community.

If the mayor is obligated to attend, otherwise, he is deems unfriendly to LGBT, then if there is a black people event, will he have to go too to show he has nothing against the black community? Will he have to attend the "because I am a girl" event for show he is not against women? Or all the sick kids programs to show he has nothing against sick kids? Or the Chinese New York parade to show he respects the Chinese community?

The gay parade is just one of the many cultural events in Toronto. We should not hold the mayor responsible for attending it every year even though he is not personally interested. Last year the same discussion happened too on major newspapers as if it is a big deal. Think about it, the gay community is well protected by our law and policies already, what's the big deal the mayor doesn't want to go?

Are you really that clueless? Really? You really have no understanding about what went on? Either you're ignorant or you're just trying to start another fight. I'd bet it's the latter.

I haven't read this thread from the beginning, however, in my personal opinion it's Rob Ford's job to be there, it comes with the territory and any cities mayor should attend cultural events such as the gay pride parade to avoid scrutinization from the public whether it was a scheduling conflict or not, whether he likes to be there or not.

"black people event" - LOL

Also, the Caribbean is comprised of many different racial groups. It's not a "black people event".

Presumably for kkgg7, it's "a black people event." Exclusively.

Don't be caught there if you're of a lighter skin colour! You might get accidentally black.

The "black people event" you are referring to is called the Caribana street festival.

I am European and I usually attend, it has been a tradition in Canada since the 60's and a lot of fun despite the negative criticism it receives.

Anyway, that's off topic, please continue to the Rob Ford abuse :D

"black people event" - LOL

Also, the Caribbean is comprised of many different racial groups. It's not a "black people event".

Presumably for kkgg7, it's "a black people event." Exclusively.

Don't be caught there if you're of a lighter skin colour! You might get accidentally black.

That's not what he was saying at all. Come On.

I'll say this though. 2 days ago I was listening to the 640am afternoon drive show and a lot of people were bringing up Canada and how pride should be moved. I laughed. I have never heard anyone in this region tout canada day until its time to use it for an excuse. If you don't want to go to pride then don't go, just don't suddenly care to pretend about July 1 it is patronizing. What a bunch of fakers some people in this city are.

It should be about equality and same sex rights. However, the parade is a symbol of lewd and crude bahaviour that would lead to arrest the other 360 days of the year.

Obviously you've never been to the parade, and that's okay. It's not a symbol of lewd and crude behavior (what is that anyway?!) unless you think a few topless women (legal by the way) or men dancing on some floats in Speedos is lewd and crude. The parade has evolved over the years as acceptance and laws have changed, it's much less political now. Today it's a loud, colourful festival of a minority community celebrating who they are, most often with a few political messages still thrown in.

Pride Toronto is a Toronto event held in Toronto. Ford is the mayor of Toronto. Part of his job is to be the face of municipal government. Since Pride is a major event in the city - regardless of whether similar events are held in other cities - he should show up.

The Toronto Pride celebration is one of the world's largest. It's the longest running Pride parade in North America. For sheer size it smokes a lot of the cities you mentioned.

kkgg7's knowledge of Toronto is a mile wide ... and about an inch deep - hardly an intelligent basis for comparing our city to others he wants us to imitate.

Back