News   Apr 24, 2024
 78     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 364     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 450     0 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

Are there any pictures of six points from BEFORE the interchange? Like from the early 1950's or late 1940's?

TorontoIslingtonAerial1937.jpg

From Wiki - 1937 Aerial of Islington Village - interchange is to the SW (just outside the frame I think).

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:TorontoIslingtonAerial1937.jpg

View of the approximately same area, via Google Maps:

upload_2017-7-18_12-53-43.png

Also, from
Series 12, Aerial Photographs of the Metropolitan Toronto Area, 1947

Image 17f Top right

http://jpeg2000.eloquent-systems.com/toronto.html?image=ser12/s0012_fl1947_it0017f.jp2

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-18_12-53-43.png
    upload_2017-7-18_12-53-43.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 671
Last edited:
July 21
Finally got around to do some before shots and videos of the area and need to do some more.

The photos are on line and here are the videos

Here's how the area looked yesterday evening:

Dunbloor is currently cut off from Bloor:
DSC02294.jpg

The Dundas-Bloor connections are down to one lane:
DSC02295.jpg

Looking back east:
DSC02296.jpg

Looking east from further west:
DSC02297.jpg

Looking southeast:
DSC02298.jpg

Looking south:
DSC02299.jpg

Looking east from the ramp beside Kipling:
DSC02300.jpg

Two subway trains slip by:
DSC02301.jpg

Looking northeast from the southwest corner:
DSC02302.jpg

Looking east from the southwest corner:
DSC02303.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02294.jpg
    DSC02294.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 585
  • DSC02295.jpg
    DSC02295.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 674
  • DSC02296.jpg
    DSC02296.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 558
  • DSC02297.jpg
    DSC02297.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 602
  • DSC02298.jpg
    DSC02298.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 604
  • DSC02299.jpg
    DSC02299.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 570
  • DSC02300.jpg
    DSC02300.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 600
  • DSC02301.jpg
    DSC02301.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 608
  • DSC02302.jpg
    DSC02302.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 638
  • DSC02303.jpg
    DSC02303.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 592
You've heard incorrectly. The new track will be built in the trackway underneath the bus platforms, immediately to the north of the existing tracks. The existing tracks are not being extended westward.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
The tender says they're extending tracks west of Kipling Station:

"The work of this Contract consists of the supply of all labour, equipment and materials for the construction of Site services for approximately 1520 feet of storage track west of Kipling Station tail track. Switch machines, signals, traction power connections and turnout installation Work is to be done by TTC forces following the Contract. The goal is to create two (2) additional subway train storage spots at Kipling Station."

I don't believe they're extending that far westward, but the additional trackage does appear to be going in beyond the west end of the station where the current tail track exists.

https://www.merx.com/English/Suppli...nm&searchtype=&hcode=7lX/IMreWHYPh1KGaVRrpw==

"The work of this Contract consists of the supply of all labour, equipment and materials for the construction of Site services for approximately 1520 feet of storage track west of Kipling Station tail track. Switch machines, signals, traction power connections and turnout installation Work is to be done by TTC forces following the Contract. The goal is to create two (2) additional subway train storage spots at Kipling Station."

I don't believe they're extending that far westward, but the additional trackage does appear to be going in beyond the west end of the station where the current tail track exists.
https://www.merx.com/English/Supplier_menu.asp?WCE=Show&TAB=3&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=PR382492&HID=&src=nm&searchtype=&hcode=7lX/IMreWHYPh1KGaVRrpw==
As a note, Bloor and Dunbloor intersection is being rebuilt and almost ready for paving.

By adding the 3rd track in the Kipling station and extended it to were the current 2 tracks end, that will support 2 trains as noted and how I see it.

I can't see the 2 current tracks extended west of the current location as well the 3rd, as that area will be needed to get under CP tracks to the plan location of the new yard to the south. It also has to be design to take the line west along Dundas and thats going to be a bitch.

At the same time this work is taking place, TTC has to rebuild the Kipling parking lot before work can start on the Kipling Regional Hub next to these 3 tracks.

Both current trail track support a train on each track today.
14763557675_3e8efbecfa_b.jpg

Last edited:

https://www.merx.com/English/Supplier_menu.asp?WCE=Show&TAB=3&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=PR382492&HID=&src=nm&searchtype=&hcode=7lX/IMreWHYPh1KGaVRrpw==

Yes....west. Remember that the tracks don't run east/west there, but on a south-west/north-east heading there. To put them to the west of the existing tracks would put them underneath the bus roadway, in the extra tunnel designed and built for the purpose when the station was built.

By the by, consider this...if they were extending the existing tracks to allow for the storage of 2 additional trains (1 train each), why would there be a need for a turnout?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Let's just extend this thing west by 1 station, come on. Probably the cheapest one stop addition the TTC could do right now, with significant ridership to come. Would also save all the local bus routes from coming all the way into Kipling, it would almost be cost neutral.

The bus roadway entrance is already under construction there forcing all buses from Kipling (44, 45 and 46) to detour when entering Kipling. I think this detour would remain in place for quite a while when they star closing that ramp from Kipling southbound to St Albans as construction ramps up.

Yes....west. Remember that the tracks don't run east/west there, but on a south-west/north-east heading there. To put them to the west of the existing tracks would put them underneath the bus roadway, in the extra tunnel designed and built for the purpose when the station was built.

By the by, consider this...if they were extending the existing tracks to allow for the storage of 2 additional trains (1 train each), why would there be a need for a turnout?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Is the "Tail Track" not the 2 tracks that extend in the trench along Subway cres?

I agree that that does not seem to make any sense to do, but what I'm saying is the wording of the tender indicates that they're adding 1,500 ft of track "west of Kipling Station tail track", which, I thought, was this track out of the (south) west of the station, and they would need a turnout if the additional trackage is parallel to the existing paired tail track.

Honest question here, is a 6-way signalized intersection not applicable at this location?

I don't recall whether that was an option considered in the EA (which feels like forever ago). Too many permutations and combinations of turns, I would imagine, and (counterintuitively) perhaps requires extra land compared to the chosen layout. It would be challenging for pedestrians, and a major objective of the rebuild was to make the precinct walkable.

- Paul

I don't recall whether that was an option considered in the EA (which feels like forever ago). Too many permutations and combinations of turns, I would imagine, and (counterintuitively) perhaps requires extra land compared to the chosen layout. It would be challenging for pedestrians, and a major objective of the rebuild was to make the precinct walkable.

- Paul
I looked at the concepts, and there is every single possible intersection with and without grade-separation, and the 6 way intersection was no where to be found :(

Are underground/elevated pedestrian connections through the intersection/change not possible?

It’s obviously too late to change it, but it wouldn’t have ruined the pedestrian space as much as it is currently (do nothing).

I like the current plan, I think it will be more urban.

But from a purely mobility standpoint, I fail to see how a large roundabout wouldn't work well here. We don't do those in North America though.

Back