News   Apr 26, 2024
 145     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 417     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

Why? What would that accomplish, other than driving up costs?

a) It's much more appealing than a pedestrian "tunnel"

b) If Six Points is being planned as a true "City Center" it needs to tie together the buildings in the area, so they are more than just a cluster of condos

c) We have weather in this country

d) the largest market for condos in central Etobicoke is aging boomers who are ready to shed their house, but are looking ahead to years where they may not be eager to drive but may not be up to cycling or walking long distances. Being able to reach a variety of services and retaillers without going outside, and without taking transit to a mall, woukd be a real selling point.

- Paul

d) the largest market for condos in central Etobicoke is aging boomers who are ready to shed their house, but are looking ahead to years where they may not be eager to drive but may not be up to cycling or walking long distances. Being able to reach a variety of services and retaillers without going outside, and without taking transit to a mall, woukd be a real selling point.

- Paul
Having lived in one of the condos directly adjacent to the site for the past 4.5 years, I can say "aging boomers" make up a very small proportion of residents in our buildings. The whole point of the six points reconstruction is to make the whole area pedestrian friendly (I won't say "more" pedestrian friendly, because today it's simply "pedestrian-hostile"). Why, then, ignore that and make an assumption that pedestrians want to be inside, underground?

Having lived in one of the condos directly adjacent to the site for the past 4.5 years, I can say "aging boomers" make up a very small proportion of residents in our buildings. The whole point of the six points reconstruction is to make the whole area pedestrian friendly (I won't say "more" pedestrian friendly, because today it's simply "pedestrian-hostile"). Why, then, ignore that and make an assumption that pedestrians want to be inside, underground?

Because, while on a nice day they will prefer to be outside, on a not nice day people may not.

Really, I find this "you must get out and be a pedestrian" a really arrogant attitude, and a touch of politically correct tyrrany. We all agree we want pedestrian friendly neighbourhoods. That doesn't mean pedestrianism should be mandatory or force fed. It's not the same as demanding Six Points be built with enormous parking lots, forgoshsake.

I don't see people eschewing the downtown PATH in the interests of a pedestrian friendly downtown. They use it because they appreciate its convenience. They especially use it in bad weather. Six Points aspires to be a city center. Wouldn't it be sensible to build this in now? It has cost the downtown a fortune to retrofit PATH into buildings that didn't plan on it.

And, as someone who lives in a neighbourhood within walking distance of Six Points, I can tell you - many of my neighbours are getting ready to divest their homes for condo's. They are complaining that the condo's being built around the area are not senior-friendly. Build more senior friendly condo's, and a whole lot of housing stock will come available. We have a housing shortage. This is a reasonable part of the solution, along with good outdoor public spaces. Nobody is arguing with pedestrian friendly neighbourhoods. It's just a proactive thing to add to the plan.

- Paul

Last edited:
Why did activity stop on the six points site. Is the soil too soft from the rain?

Last edited:
This is partially related to this project; I think the transportation department has officially gone nuts as someone thought it would be smart to add a signalized intersection less than 100 metres next to another signalized intersection.

Does the city have an infatuation with creating multiple Lansdowne, Queen. Jameson style intersections?

Kipling-North Queen-Jutland intersection:
upload_2017-5-14_21-23-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-14_21-23-41.png
    upload_2017-5-14_21-23-41.png
    342.9 KB · Views: 747
This is partially related to this project; I think the transportation department has officially gone nuts as someone thought it would be smart to add a signalized intersection less than 100 metres next to another signalized intersection.

Does the city have an infatuation with creating multiple Lansdowne, Queen. Jameson style intersections?

View attachment 108456

these occured in downtown because minor streets were built by private landowners who didnt care if their streets were consistent with others.

View attachment 108456

I think this is one to forgive.

The cross-traffic out of those streets is likely from the industrial businesses, so not a heavy traffic level, but warranted because they're big long trucks. There's probably some traffic on North Queen from the commercial malls at the 427, but I doubt that it, in conjunction with Jutland, creates a huge problem.

The Jutland light was requested by a local resident. Current traffic suggests that the delay occurs at North Queen.

fNZV4ln.png

I don't know the rationale, but it is certainly becoming difficult and risky to make a left turn from Jutland onto Kipling southbound. I wonder if North Queen to Kipling northbound will become a 2-lane left turn - the left turn backs up all day long.

As the new City Centre is built, it will only become even busier on that stretch of road. Jutland is all commercial traffic, lots of trucks. I'm not surprised that the City is making some changes, and that may be a good thing in the long run.

- Paul

I don't know the rationale, but it is certainly becoming difficult and risky to make a left turn from Jutland onto Kipling southbound. I wonder if North Queen to Kipling northbound will become a 2-lane left turn - the left turn backs up all day long.

As the new City Centre is built, it will only become even busier on that stretch of road. Jutland is all commercial traffic, lots of trucks. I'm not surprised that the City is making some changes, and that may be a good thing in the long run.

- Paul
Typically I would agree with everything said in the above postings, but the idea of adding lights in this intersection is just asinine and the only reason I can think is because of what you pointed out- the increasing difficulty of making a turn from Jutland to Kipling southbound. Asides from that there's really no reason to add another light, so why a resident would bring this up as a concern is beyond me.

Travel along Kipling during the rush hour and chances are you will get caught up at a red light at every single intersection from Evans to Bloor and this isnt an exaggeration. This isnt going to help that situation at all.

Being a local and having worked on Jutland during peak times that intersection is a nightmare to get out of. I have been stuck there close to 5mins while a truck attempts to make a left to head south on Kipling. One of the biggest issues is trying to get into the right lane to turn on to North Queen after making the left, so hopefully they sync North Queen and Jutland to have a delay and clear out traffic before NQ.

Putting a light at Jutland and Kipling creates a viable bypass to the Queensway - it becomes an eastward extension of North Queen. That would help a lot of people, especially trucks. Queensway is very busy.

I happened to drive by there yesterday and sure enough, there was a lineup of vehicles on Jutland waiting for a gap in traffic on Kipling.

The roads in this city are filling up, it's that simple.

- Paul

Back