News   Apr 26, 2024
 219     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 410     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 546     0 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

Since Hydro One isn't playing ball, it seems to me that we should expect a loooooooong walk at Kipling from the new bus terminal to the subway platforms. Perhaps it'll be the west end's answer to the despised Kennedy transfer!

Not ideal, but it's not that either bad, considering the popularity of the current MiWay 101 to Kipling walk (along Auckland, which is sloped downwards and quite dicey in winter).

AoD

Not ideal, but it's not that either bad, considering the popularity of the current MiWay 101 to Kipling walk (along Auckland, which is sloped downwards and quite dicey in winter).

AoD

I almost always get off of MiWay at Kipling too. Pretty much guaranteed to get a good seat on the subway. You're right that the sidewalk could use much better winter maintenance. And now with the return of better weather, we have to walk the gauntlet of chuggers in front of the entrance.

I almost always get off of MiWay at Kipling too. Pretty much guaranteed to get a good seat on the subway. You're right that the sidewalk could use much better winter maintenance. And now with the return of better weather, we have to walk the gauntlet of chuggers in front of the entrance.

Yup, the sidewalk is narrow, very rarely shoveled or salted in winter, and by the off chance they do, it's an impossible task since it's all compacted to ice. The coup de grace is of course where Auckland meets Subway Crescent - the melt from the slope turns the corner into a skating rink. I am really, really curious to know how much in lawyer fees and damages was charged to the city because of falls on that spot.

Chuggers are easier to deal with - just put your humanity aside and brush them off. That, or have your headphones on and avoid eye contact (or if you do, ensure your eye contact communicates the requisite F-O message).

AoD

Last edited:
Why is nothing happening at the six points construction site? Its like everything came to a stop for no apparent reason. Is there a problem? Time is slipping by, timelines could really fall behind.

Why is nothing happening at the six points construction site? Its like everything came to a stop for no apparent reason. Is there a problem? Time is slipping by, timelines could really fall behind.
The Games are in town and no work tell Sept.

The Games are in town and no work tell Sept.
That's not exactly the right answer, the work that was going on in the Westwood lands was only for advance land clearing, grading to the sub level and installation of storm sewers for the future Dundas Street allignment. These works are now complete.

The rest of the project has not yet gone to tender and I would be surprised if construction starts by September. Given the scale and scope of the project I would assume that contractors will be given 2 months to formulate their bids, with the award of the contract following 6-8 weeks later. Most recent staff estimates for the start of construction have been for fall of 2015 so hopefully this project gets put to tender soon.

Last edited:
This is a pretty massive project happening in the city when you think about it. It gets very little public attention outside of UT in comparison.

People will be happy, as I saw dump trucks dropping loads on the site Friday
Like I said in the post above yours, there's nothing to be happy about until the actual project goes out for tender.

The majority of the current advance works are done, the dump trucks you saw there are for the removal of the concrete leftover from the old Westwood theatre.

Like I said in the post above yours, there's nothing to be happy about until the actual project goes out for tender.

The majority of the current advance works are done, the dump trucks you saw there are for the removal of the concrete leftover from the old Westwood theatre.
Work has been taking place on the road for the last week where grading was taking place. Coming home tonight, more heavy equipment on site than the morning, with compacting of the sub base that has been put down and graded.

The concrete is still sitting there.

Any updates on this project?
Last year the city's timeline for the project to go to tender was in fall of 2015. Now the city's website is saying the project will go to tender in summer of 2016. Assuming the project goes to tender this summer we could see shovels in the ground come fall.

what is the actual timeline for this project? some work started, then stopped... no heavy equipment are there at all... has this been cancelled? what a dull area to look at!

The Master Contract for the Six Points reconfiguration recently closed and we are inching closer and closer to the start of construction.
The 3 low bidders were:
1. $58,375,968, Fermar Paving Ltd of Toronto
2. $62,668,484, Pave-Al Ltd of Mississauga
3. $64,133,238, Coco Paving of Toronto
These are preliminary numbers and are subject to review by City Staff.
Seeing as the project total exceeds 20 million dollars in value, it is outside of the authority of the bid committee and will therefore be considered by the Public Works and Infrastructure committee. I will be surprised if the contract is ready for award in time for the PWIC meeting on 21 November given the size of the contract. I assume the contract will be up for award at the PWIC meeting on 18 January, 2017.

Back