News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 831     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

There are no buildings currently addressed to Dunbloor. They are all addressed on either Dundas or Bloor or Summerland Terrace. The lot on the west side of Dunbloor which does have a Dunbloor address is vacant.

There are no buildings currently addressed to Dunbloor. They are all addressed on either Dundas or Bloor or Summerland Terrace. The lot on the west side of Dunbloor which does have a Dunbloor address is vacant.

. . . except The Serrano, which uses 11 Dunbloor Road.

Has the TTC offered any comment on how this will impact bus service? All those stop lights will have an impact on traffic. I can't imagine the new configuration being as auto-friendly.....clearly that's a tradeoff against other gains.

Six Points may be sterile, but at least the current configuration gets busses across the junction fairly efficiently. Vehicle priority traffic signals won't be effective if there are conflicting bus routes through the zone.

- Paul

Has the TTC offered any comment on how this will impact bus service? All those stop lights will have an impact on traffic. I can't imagine the new configuration being as auto-friendly.....clearly that's a tradeoff against other gains.

Six Points may be sterile, but at least the current configuration gets busses across the junction fairly efficiently. Vehicle priority traffic signals won't be effective if there are conflicting bus routes through the zone.

- Paul

Many of the buses won't be coming this far east anymore once the Kipling MiWay Bus Terminal is built.

- Paul

I think the idea is that by reconfiguring the intersection you make it more pedestrian-friendly which should result in a lot more transit customers, both for the subway and the buses. Trying to get buses through that area quickly is like trying to get buses through Yonge and Eglinton quickly. You don't want to speed them up . You want to slow them down and get more people on them.

I think the idea is that by reconfiguring the intersection you make it more pedestrian-friendly which should result in a lot more transit customers, both for the subway and the buses. Trying to get buses through that area quickly is like trying to get buses through Yonge and Eglinton quickly. You don't want to speed them up . You want to slow them down and get more people on them.

That makes good sense in theory....I wonder how it will play out here. The only source for new customers will be from whatever development is built within this zone. There are already bus stops on the periphery of the zone on the major streets in all directions.

I was thinking mostly about the 44/45 Kipling/Martin Grove routes, as they are heavily travelled already. The one stop light now (at the stub end of Bloor) is not a major impediment, but a light with Dundas will be a bigger deal. (Frankly, I can't imagine all the Dundas traffic and Bloor traffic flowing through a signalled intersection at grade, but we'll see). Adding even one minute to the travel time for all these riders, versus the added benefit to "new" customers, is an interesting tradeoff.

Bus traffic to/from Mississauga and Bloor/Dundas West shouldn't be affected, since it already diverges to Kipling Station well west of the Six Points. This is definitely a potential ridership-growth zone, as all the new developments along Dundas West come on line.

For reasons I have never understood, Dundas east of Six Points has never seen strong TTC demand. There is intensification happening here too, and the new intersection won't make a connection to Dundas eastwards more attractive.

It's easy for we on the sidewalk to speculate. I'm still wondering what the official view from TTC might be.

- Paul

That makes good sense in theory....I wonder how it will play out here. The only source for new customers will be from whatever development is built within this zone. There are already bus stops on the periphery of the zone on the major streets in all directions.
True, but from what I understand, this reconfiguration is supposed to free up a lot of land for redevelopment. There is also the new YMCA to consider, which should be a good trip generator.

For reasons I have never understood, Dundas east of Six Points has never seen strong TTC demand. There is intensification happening here too, and the new intersection won't make a connection to Dundas eastwards more attractive.

It's easy for we on the sidewalk to speculate. I'm still wondering what the official view from TTC might be.

- Paul

I agree. I can't understand why the 30 Lambton bus only has half hour frequency. It's stupid.

- Paul

I can't help but wonder if a lot of it is due to the many frequent north-south routes that cross Dundas and how short the trip is to Bloor, whereas it would be long ride from either end to any given location in the middle of the route.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I can't help but wonder if a lot of it is due to the many frequent north-south routes that cross Dundas and how short the trip is to Bloor, whereas it would be long ride from either end to any given location in the middle of the route.

Dan, that's undoubtedly true - most people in the area have traditionally headed for the subway.

But it's a long way from Royal York to Jane, and there is more happening along there these days. And if they are touting Six Points as the new "City Center", there may be more reason for those in walking distance of Dundas to want to go that way.

- Paul

But it's a long way from Royal York to Jane, and there is more happening along there these days. And if they are touting Six Points as the new "City Center", there may be more reason for those in walking distance of Dundas to want to go that way.

- Paul

Well, no doubt. But ridership will also a chicken and egg thing - they don't want to run more service without the passengers to justify it, but you won't get more passengers until you have more frequent service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I was thinking mostly about the 44/45 Kipling/Martin Grove routes, as they are heavily travelled already. The one stop light now (at the stub end of Bloor) is not a major impediment, but a light with Dundas will be a bigger deal. (Frankly, I can't imagine all the Dundas traffic and Bloor traffic flowing through a signalled intersection at grade, but we'll see). Adding even one minute to the travel time for all these riders, versus the added benefit to "new" customers, is an interesting tradeoff.

I expect that a lot of drivers that currently uses Dundas will start to divert to other routes. I expect that people will use Burnanthorpe, Royal York and Islington as alternatives to get to/from the highway. Good for Dundas but very bad for the other more residential routes.

The traffic engineers will then pat themselves on the back telling all that these lights did not impact travel time (while drivers are stuck waiting for the lights on other routes).

I expect that a lot of drivers that currently uses Dundas will start to divert to other routes. I expect that people will use Burnanthorpe, Royal York and Islington as alternatives to get to/from the highway. Good for Dundas but very bad for the other more residential routes.

The traffic engineers will then pat themselves on the back telling all that these lights did not impact travel time (while drivers are stuck waiting for the lights on other routes).

Isn't there also some kind of big Highway 427 construction project that supposed to happen soon? Or maybe I missed it? I remember this being used as the excuse to not install the approved bike lanes on Bloor between Kipling and Mississauga.

People on/around Burnhamthorpe also complain alot about the MiWay buses, but I expect there will be alot fewer of those, at least east of the 427, if they ever get the bus terminal moved over to Kipling.

Back