News   Apr 26, 2024
 934     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 261     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 768     0 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

I'd still prefer to see some grade separation of Dundas to reduce the amount of conflict between modes at this intersection and to reduce the number of left turn lanes. If Dundas was carried in an underpass beneath Bloor-Kipling, it would still be possible to urbanize that intersection and build directional ramps to allow Bloor traffic to access the Dundas ramps at the 427. Perhaps something like this?

The Westwood theatre has finally been demolished - now the re-construction of this planning disaster can begin in earnest!

The Westwood theatre has finally been demolished - now the re-construction of this planning disaster can begin in earnest!

I haven't for the past week been able to get a window seat on the bus to take photos of it coming down. Got one coming home Monday, but only rubble there and too far away for a good shot.

Any updates about next steps for initial construction to start now that the Westwood Theatre is gone.

I'm glad they saved the homeless cat shelter, however, I have not seen any cats roaming around there. Have they been relocated?

It's March 1, 2014. Spring is just around the corner.

Any updates on this city project? Wonder if the road network will be built first or maybe the YMCA building will be first?

I have a balcony view of this 20 acre project. I'm guessing here but in order for those 3 bridges to be dismantled there will have to be a temporary new road network created to have some reasonable type of traffic flow during construction. I can see right now that most of gridlock during construction will be north/south traffic flow whereas east/west traffic flow will be forgiving.

However, I'm no expert in this type of thing and how construction projects of this magnitude unfold.

Last edited:
The Six Points Reconfiguration Study is at the City's Design Review Panel today, so yes, it's moving forward bit by bit! It is planningAlliance and HDR who are working on this for the City. One note from the presentation: the Dundas Street right-of-way through here at 42 metres is just 3 metres shy of the University Avenue R.O.W.

By the way, the site is 18 hectares in total, so larger than 20 acres by quite a bit!

Last edited:
The DRP aren't nuts about the plan as it stands, concerned that the very generous rights-of-way won't be conducive to creating an intimate, urban atmosphere… but they're not sure they can do anything about it, and that bugs them too of course. Build Toronto will be calling the shots here. The DRP are not criticizing pA or HDR, by the way, as they feel those firms are being "handcuffed" by an EA that no longer represents state-of-the-art planning. They voted "non-support" unanimously.

So what impact does that vote have? I'm eager to see this god-forsaken interchange demolished already.

Based on this link, it might have been more efficient to just have all six streets meet at one big intersection without any sort of traffic control.

Based on this link, it might have been more efficient to just have all six streets meet at one big intersection without any sort of traffic control.

Press "Share" and copy & paste the http to the filmstrip icon, next time.

[video=youtube_share;NX41Vzfda1Y]http://youtu.be/NX41Vzfda1Y[/video]

I've noticed the pedestrians crossing the intersection as well, taking their lives at risk in doing so.

Something I've been messing around with, cut-covering Dundas:

LtcPVHd.jpg

My thinking is that by grade separating Dundas in a tunnel, it would reduce the need for as much widening on Kipling and Bloor making the surface streets more friendly to street-facing development, particularly in the south-east.

Something I've been messing around with, cut-covering Dundas:

LtcPVHd.jpg

My thinking is that by grade separating Dundas in a tunnel, it would reduce the need for as much widening on Kipling and Bloor making the surface streets more friendly to street-facing development, particularly in the south-east.

The initial planning started back in 2006. There were meetings and planning sessions years ago. The removal of the old movie theatre was the first sign that something physically is happening.

Back