Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Another thing Tory mentioned at that meeting was that nice things cost money, and he is a fan of what Waterfront Toronto has done to date. Seems like he is really trying to fight the naysayers on the waterfront file.

At the same time, an audit of Waterfront Toronto's spending during the first phase was also approved. If improper spending is found, I wonder if it will change Tory's current stance.

Great. I can't wait to hear about how someone at WT once bought a $6 coffee at Starbucks. Scandalous.

I wonder how much this audit is costing us.

It just annoys the hell out of me when politicians spend tens of thousands of dollars on these audits for no other reason to appear fiscally conservative. Please don't waste our money on this nonsense unless there's probable cause to believe there might be significant misspending.

From the WT webcam at 1630:

162406_zoom.jpg
163307_zoom.jpg

I'd say it's getting really quite well used.

AoD

Attachments

• 162406_zoom.jpg
    162406_zoom.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 531
  • 163307_zoom.jpg
    163307_zoom.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 582
No prob rdaner - from the same cams, at 1930:

193307_zoom.jpg
193906_zoom.jpg

It's still quite busy at this time of the evening. It would be criminal not to extend this landscape treatment along the entire stretch of the waterfront.

AoD

Attachments

• 193307_zoom.jpg
    193307_zoom.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 499
  • 193906_zoom.jpg
    193906_zoom.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
rode by today on my bike today for the first time, and it was absolutely nuts. The sidewalks were absolutely crazy with people down at the waterfront for Canada Day, with many of them spilling out onto the bike lanes. Lots of fast cyclists not seeming to comprehend the fact that these bike lanes are designed for slower travel, getting impatient trying to pass people. Lots of pedestrians walking in the lanes at intersections.

rode by today on my bike today for the first time, and it was absolutely nuts. The sidewalks were absolutely crazy with people down at the waterfront for Canada Day, with many of them spilling out onto the bike lanes. Lots of fast cyclists not seeming to comprehend the fact that these bike lanes are designed for slower travel, getting impatient trying to pass people. Lots of pedestrians walking in the lanes at intersections.

That sounds exactly like the way it should be - the cyclists will also need to learn that this is a trail and not a highway just for them, and that they cannot count on any right of way without regard to the actual conditions.

The sheer popularity of the space also bodes well for further improvements.

AoD

Last edited:
The bike ROW needs several of those bright yellow "SLOW" signs to get the message through.

Have guard rials been considered for separating the LRT, bike path and sidewalks? The rails wouldn't need to cover the entire length. Even rails split into 10 meter segments coving, say, a fifth of the path would mentally establish that the bikes and sidewalks are segregated spaces, without adversely affecting the visual or pedestrian experience.

The MGT has a 20 km/h speed limit - and I bet most bikes are doing around that. There should of been a better way of segregating the trail from the sidewalk, as a bike and a pedestrian meeting at around 20 km/h is not going to end well.

when the lanes are asphalt pedestrians seem to generally get the message, the amount of people walking onto those parts was generally fine. Its the intersections where the material for the bike lanes is the same as the sidewalk where everyone walks onto the lanes and somehow manage to be surprised that they are in a bike lane, as if the lanes magically end at every intersection...

when the lanes are asphalt pedestrians seem to generally get the message, the amount of people walking onto those parts was generally fine. Its the intersections where the material for the bike lanes is the same as the sidewalk where everyone walks onto the lanes and somehow manage to be surprised that they are in a bike lane, as if the lanes magically end at every intersection...

Well after decades of being conditioned to concrete = sidewalk, asphalt = road, this isn't totally surprising. Redo the intersections with asphalt and I'd bet we'd see a lot less of these issues.

Back