News   Apr 23, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 617     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I'm just curious with all the 400 series extensions underway or planned, will there be any more new Onroute travel plazas built along any of these new highways?

I thought I heard highway 69 will gain one more on one of the remaining first nation reserves.

Can't really imagine that. Not busy enough up there to justify one.

There is very little in the way of services between the Bowes Street exit in Parry Sound and Regent Street in Sudbury. There are gas stations at Point-au-Baril, Shawanaga, Magnetawan, and Key Harbour and there used to be one at Highway 64 at Alban before work started on the interchange. Most restaurants are gone, with the notable exception of the Hungry Bear at the French River which will likely be bypassed soon. In Nobel, the Wendy's/Tim Horton's/Esso was very busy until that section of Highway 69 was bypassed.

I could see one OnRoute-type service centre working, with a gas station, a Tim Horton's, and one other food vendor, like A&W or Subway, somewhere around Magnetawan, but it would have to be accessed from a normal interchange to attract both northbound and southbound traffic. There's something like that south of Parry Sound, at the Seguin Trail.

Do what many places do, and put the service centre in the highway median!

Agreed, especially considering how relatively low volume this stretch will be (compared to the 401). 2 service centres on opposite sides may not be profitable, but one in the middle might be.

Interesting thoughts about an additional Onroute on the 400. I was also curious about the possibility of introducing Onroutes on such highways such as 417, 416, 402 and 407.

MTO wouldn't like that as it requires left exits and entrances - which is a bit no-no.

Not necessarily. Take a look at the Angola Travel Plaza on I-90 just south of Buffalo. The building itself is in the middle, but it has 2 parking lots on either side, with a covered pedestrian overpass connecting them: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/An...faea38431504186f!8m2!3d42.63578!4d-78.9889956

Interesting thoughts about an additional Onroute on the 400. I was also curious about the possibility of introducing Onroutes on such highways such as 417, 416, 402 and 407.

416 would be somewhat pointless, since you can drive the entire thing end to end in under an hour, and there are OnRoutes within 20 mins of its southern terminus at the 401 in either direction.

The 400 I would agree with though. 417 could use one somewhere between Casselman and the ON/QC border.

Maybe 11 north of Huntsville. 407 is definitely a commuter route that's not suitable for an OnRoute

I could see one OnRoute-type service centre working, with a gas station, a Tim Horton's, and one other food vendor, like A&W or Subway, somewhere around Magnetawan, but it would have to be accessed from a normal interchange to attract both northbound and southbound traffic. There's something like that south of Parry Sound, at the Seguin Trail.
There's a new one in Port Severn too.

how about a Webers style ped bridge to a highway side facility?

There actually was a Webers planned on the 400 at Mt. St. Louis Road., but area residents opposed it because they thought people would litter the area roadsides. They could have used one there as there's no services between Barrie and Highway 12.

Back