News   Apr 24, 2024
 934     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I have made an interchange in SimCity 4 inspired by the 400 / 401 junction in Toronto.

Click here for a full size image: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/779/23269149944_398dc3de30_o.jpg

Smaller image below:
23269149944_6d0999bbd4_b.jpg
I am amazed at what SimCity 4 can do, as compared with SimCity (2013), which is impossible to do in the newer game.

@Haljackey, it would be interesting to re-create the spaghetti junction of Highway 401-427-27-Eglinton-Renforth using SimCity 4.

I am amazed at what SimCity 4 can do, as compared with SimCity (2013), which is impossible to do in the newer game.

@Haljackey, it would be interesting to re-create the spaghetti junction of Highway 401-427-27-Eglinton-Renforth using SimCity 4.
The real magic is when you start playing Cities: Skylines

2015-04-01_00001_zpseph8ciwx.jpg

I've played Skylines. The level of detail just isn't there compared to SimCity 4, but it is a lot better than SimCity (2013).

That image makes me cringe from a highway design standpoint. Sharp turns, steep climbs, sharp ramp angles, no merge room, weaving... ok I'll stop now lol

Yeah, not the prettiest example, but it certainly shows off the rather free-form options for making intertwining ramps. You can get many things geometrically closer to reality than you can in SC4.

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but the tender for the westward widening of the 401 to east of the Credit River has been available on RAQS for the past two months. Bids are due by the 15 th of January.

https://www.raqs.merx.com/public/bulletin/contractView.jsf?id=33898201
The Mavis Rd Bridge expansion is almost completed.

The remaining work in 2016 will be building the lanes up to 2nd line bridge or to Port Credit River once the 2nd Line bridge is torn down.

The Mavis Rd Bridge expansion is almost completed.

The remaining work in 2016 will be building the lanes up to 2nd line bridge or to Port Credit River once the 2nd Line bridge is torn down.
I'm not quite sure if you're playing the role of captain obvious or if you just didn't bother to read the post that you quoted. In either case had you read the post you would know that the widening is up to the east side of the Credit River, the Second Line bridge is going as part of this phase of the 401 widening. You seem to also be implying that this work is being performed under the Mavis Road overpass contract, that is a seperate contract that deals only with the Mavis Road facility. The tender for the actual widening of the 401 is linked in the post you quoted.

It is my understanding that this phase of 401 widening to east of the Credit River will be the last delivered under the traditional Design-Bid-Build mechanism. Further westward widening of th highway to Halton Region will be performed under the province's alternative delivery method through Infrastructure Ontario. I would assume this means that they'll tackle the widening from the Credit River to Halton Region as one single project.

... that is also where 11/17 is merged. The only bypass is through the states, what a nightmare.

improperly configured expansion joints I assume.

Expansion joints open an close during temperature change. It is the bearings that prevent uplift, which is what happened here. On a normal bridge, there is enough self weight that the bridge ends cannot lift. For this cable stayed bridge, the stressing of each strand has a great affect on the how positively the bridge is sitting on the abutments.

technically, there is a detour around the top end of Lake Nipigon on gravel logging roads. I have never driven those, but it does show up on Google Map is you type in an origin and destination of Armstrong and Nakina.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Macl...!2m2!1d-86.9437595!2d49.6813302!1m0!3e0?hl=en

From what I understand this is an old logging road (private road). It has bridges but they are either overgrown with vegetation or virtually destroyed from a lack of maintenance.

A double double should go to the first hoser who successfully navigates that road from one point to the other in the middle of January! :cool:

Back